PDA

View Full Version : While waiting for 3.05 & il2skins... game file name oddities

Blottogg
01-30-2005, 06:37 AM
The only good news about il2skins.com being down for while is that I've had a chance to catch up on installing the skins I've downloaded (I had a backlog of... well a few.)

Computer genius that I am, I've only now discovered a couple of file name oddities. For nose art and pilot skins, the name can't have any spaces. I rename a lot of my skins just to try to keep them in some kind of order. Spaces are okay for aircraft skins, but for pilot skins and nose art, renaming them with spaces will keep them from being displayed (though the name still shows up on the pull-down.) Quotes are also a no-no for all three categories. For those gunning for authenticity, ? Ӟ ¤ ӹ  ¯ ¶ œ ü and ß won't work either (at least for the English version.) So forget about renaming that White 13 Guenther Rall skin to Weiß 13 Günther Rall.

Figuring out how I'd screwed up the file names took WAY too long (along the way I managed to convince myself that the characters &!_()-'+ are okay, and together look like the swearing I was doing at one point.) I'll shore up my ego by saying that a problem involving spaces isn't obvious just looking at the file name (at least to me), especially since it's only a problem for some of the .bmp's. Hopefully this will help keep some of the rest of you from going nuts. We now return you to your previous patch waiting.

Blottogg
01-30-2005, 06:37 AM
The only good news about il2skins.com being down for while is that I've had a chance to catch up on installing the skins I've downloaded (I had a backlog of... well a few.)

Computer genius that I am, I've only now discovered a couple of file name oddities. For nose art and pilot skins, the name can't have any spaces. I rename a lot of my skins just to try to keep them in some kind of order. Spaces are okay for aircraft skins, but for pilot skins and nose art, renaming them with spaces will keep them from being displayed (though the name still shows up on the pull-down.) Quotes are also a no-no for all three categories. For those gunning for authenticity, ? Ӟ ¤ ӹ  ¯ ¶ œ ü and ß won't work either (at least for the English version.) So forget about renaming that White 13 Guenther Rall skin to Weiß 13 Günther Rall.

Figuring out how I'd screwed up the file names took WAY too long (along the way I managed to convince myself that the characters &!_()-'+ are okay, and together look like the swearing I was doing at one point.) I'll shore up my ego by saying that a problem involving spaces isn't obvious just looking at the file name (at least to me), especially since it's only a problem for some of the .bmp's. Hopefully this will help keep some of the rest of you from going nuts. We now return you to your previous patch waiting.