PDA

View Full Version : the assassins are hypocritical to there own creed

Radman500
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
how much do the assassins follow the creed...

"nothing is true, everything is permitted" is the assassins order motto, yet they have a creed.. with a 3 set of rules.....

hypocritical? i think so... what do you think

Radman500
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM

"nothing is true, everything is permitted" is the assassins order motto, yet they have a creed.. with a 3 set of rules.....

hypocritical? i think so... what do you think

Radman500
09-13-2011, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radman500:

"nothing is true, everything is permitted" is the assassins order motto, yet they have a creed.. with 3 rules.

hypocritical? i think so... what do you think </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OGCFB
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Good point it would mean that the creed is permitted which is true or is it? Define truth... Does the word even exist? Why because the dictionary says it does...? Do you even exist? Maybe, Maybe not...

NewBlade200
09-13-2011, 04:25 PM
You all don't exist...

Good point though. How can a rule dictate that you can break the rules? Could you say that breaking the creed is permitted because it says everything is permitted?

Jon253
09-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Good point, also "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted"

Why isn't what the Templars are doing permitted?

naran6142
09-13-2011, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon253:
Good point, also "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted"

Why isn't what the Templars are doing permitted? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cuz everything is permitted for an assassin

its not the templars creed

AdmiralPerry
09-13-2011, 08:26 PM
"You will have the answer to your question when you no longer need to ask it."

LOL. Anyway, I know this won't provide much of an answer, but look at the Codex, pg. 4. Altair talks about the three great ironies of the Assassin order, one of which mentions adherence to a set of rules.

It is just something we will all have to meditate on.

Calvarok
09-13-2011, 10:33 PM
The Creed is a contextual guideline. One tenet might mean something different in a different situation.

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted confirms this: an Assassin cannot rely on the creed like a crutch. An Assassin mus be self discerning. If an innocent must be killed for people to be free, an Assassin must make his or her own choice.

Altair talked about the hipocracies in the Codex.

LightRey
09-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Alta´r himself says that their Creed is hypocritical in the codex (I'm paraphrasing a little here). Basically, the Assassins do the very things they oppose to ensure that others won't do them.

SleezeRocker
09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Altair was aware of that as he was writing the Codex.

He mentions it in AC Bloodlines and the book AC:Secret Crusade (is it in part 2 when "Bloodlines" starts in the book)

djhendrix
09-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Just because they have come to the conclusion that nothing is true does not mean that they can't guess at what they think is right? Therefor they have a creed with three rules that they follow and think to be morally good.

i think the 'everything is permitted' bit refers to the state of existence rather than what an individual is permitted to do or not. 'anything that is permitted by natural law to exist can exist'.

ProdiGurl
09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Well again, in another area, Ezio quotes a longer creed that in context, defines what they mean by 'nothing is true' and 'everything is permitted'.

He isn't saying 'everything is permitted" in and of itself, if so, then they can just kill innocent citizens and not care too which violates the creed.
It hinges on other context that nobody is taking into consideration. I have time this aft. to go back thru the game & find it to post it.

ProdiGurl
09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Ok, so here's the full creed I typed from the "Ascension" memory in Sequence 7 of ACB:

"Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember, Nothing is true,

Where are other men are limited by morality and law, remember, Everything is permitted."

So basically, I don't see them saying that 'nothing is true' as some philosophical "truth" statement (if so, they just contradicted themselves by making a factual truth statement they claim doesn't exist).

What I believe they're saying is that they don't Blindly follow anything or anyone (namely a religion) so that it hinders them from doing what they believe needs to be done for the good of others. To right wrongs and carry out justice etc. that otherwise would be impossible if hindered by other laws, moral beliefs or blind adherence to what may be false.

?

LightRey
09-14-2011, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
Ok, so here's the full creed I typed from the "Ascension" memory in Sequence 7 of ACB:

"Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember, Nothing is true,

Where are other men are limited by morality and law, remember, Everything is permitted."

So basically, I don't see them saying that 'nothing is true' as some philosophical "truth" statement (if so, they just contradicted themselves by making a factual truth statement).

What I believe they're saying is that they don't Blindly follow anything or anyone (namely a religion) so that it hinders them from doing what they believe needs to be done for the good of others. To right wrongs and carry out justice etc. that otherwise would be impossible if hindered by other laws, moral beliefs or blind adherence to what may be false.

? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Basically, yes.

Jexx21
09-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I believe 'The Truth' can also mean the history that we learn and are told is true, not just religion.

LightRey
09-14-2011, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
I believe 'The Truth' can also mean the history that we learn and are told is true, not just religion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has many different meanings, some more literal than others, but each with a similar message.

Jexx21
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
I believe 'The Truth' can also mean the history that we learn and are told is true, not just religion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has many different meanings, some more literal than others, but each with a similar message. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I wouldn't doubt it.