PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Eastern DGen Campaigns Version Two

GregSM
02-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Hi,

I've reworked the Eastern Front DGen campaigns with the intention of providing both a generally enhanced set of campaigns, and a consistent set of templates that people can use to further enhance their own campaigns. I've worked towards two goals: rationalise the various campaign files to achieve greater consistency throughout; and better exploit the mass of objects while upholding a modicum of regard for history. Changes are generally subtle.

The files are available here here (http://www3.sympatico.ca/greg.smart/v2_Enhanced_Eastern_DGen_Campaigns.zip).

* The files will function only with the PF merged installation.

** For the time being, please understand that these files may conflict with other third party add-ons, and will work fully only with the English and German language games.

Changes in Version Two:

Where appropriate, I€ve added the new aircraft, tanks, and various other objects from the previous couple of game patches. (Including the Russian armoured train and the huge German mortar.)

I€ve redone all the armour columns so that they are a little more historically palatable. (Previously, I had early tanks lingering for too long into the campaign sequences.)

As the new aircraft lack static counterparts, I€ve had to resort to using their base models. For example, Yak 7B€s stand on airfields in place of Yak 7BPF€s. So, while a small detail, the distribution of static aircraft types is a little off. I€ll fix this when, or if, the static counterparts appear.

Hoping to avoid confusion, I€ve left out the various €œmessage€ files together with the Europlanes file that I use.

Thanks to Van Alien at SimHQ, the files now work with the German Language game.

Main Features:

All airfields are enhanced to feature a variety of objects such as fuel and radar trucks, ambulances, etc. The density of objects for each airfield depends on the number of hardstands and is consistent throughout all maps and campaigns.

In terms of relative density, type, and nationality (though DGen doesn't fully support this), static aircraft are calibrated to each campaign, largely in reference to the September 2 version of the table located at: http://www.yogysoft.de/il2/pdt.xls. For instance, there is no static P-39N at Lvov in 1941. Where and when it would historically appear, it does so proportionally with other types. (History or aesthetics aside, this is relevant as DGen computes aircraft attrition both in the air and on the ground.)

AA batteries appear sporadically at bridges throughout the campaigns to flavour bridge-bombing missions.

Like the static aircraft, AI and player-controlled aircraft types, nationality, and relative densities are defined for each campaign in accordance to the database referenced above.

Each campaign features new ground targets including truck parks, gun emplacements, fuel dumps, etc. Where possible, they are located with respect to the motion of the front lines, so that at each stage of a given campaign, neither side should be deprived of at least some variety of targets.

Trains, vehicle convoys, armour columns, and shipping are all enhanced as well. For instance, like aircraft, armour appears with some regard for history. Ferdinands won't be encountered prior to Kursk, for instance. Also, all available types of vehicle columns and trains will appear consistently throughout all of the campaigns.

There are discreet "South" and "Central" fronts for both Russian and German pilots, and for both fighter and ground attack roles. (Bomber campaigns are unaltered.)

Mission files are rationalised to provide greater consistency, and are expanded to provide greater variety of mission types. Each standard type features six different missions.

Albeit very subtly, mission files reflect historic numerical disparity. For instance, occasion for German pilots to be outnumbered is slightly less in 1943 than it is in 1944.

Missions are slightly more challenging than the stock DGen equivalents, particularly with respect to the ground attack role, while they are slightly less taxing in terms of aircraft density (a concession to the increase in object density generated with each mission).

If you experience trouble please contact me here or at the SimHQ forums.

Cheers,

Greg

GregSM
02-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Hi,

I've reworked the Eastern Front DGen campaigns with the intention of providing both a generally enhanced set of campaigns, and a consistent set of templates that people can use to further enhance their own campaigns. I've worked towards two goals: rationalise the various campaign files to achieve greater consistency throughout; and better exploit the mass of objects while upholding a modicum of regard for history. Changes are generally subtle.

The files are available here here (http://www3.sympatico.ca/greg.smart/v2_Enhanced_Eastern_DGen_Campaigns.zip).

* The files will function only with the PF merged installation.

** For the time being, please understand that these files may conflict with other third party add-ons, and will work fully only with the English and German language games.

Changes in Version Two:

Where appropriate, I€ve added the new aircraft, tanks, and various other objects from the previous couple of game patches. (Including the Russian armoured train and the huge German mortar.)

I€ve redone all the armour columns so that they are a little more historically palatable. (Previously, I had early tanks lingering for too long into the campaign sequences.)

As the new aircraft lack static counterparts, I€ve had to resort to using their base models. For example, Yak 7B€s stand on airfields in place of Yak 7BPF€s. So, while a small detail, the distribution of static aircraft types is a little off. I€ll fix this when, or if, the static counterparts appear.

Hoping to avoid confusion, I€ve left out the various €œmessage€ files together with the Europlanes file that I use.

Thanks to Van Alien at SimHQ, the files now work with the German Language game.

Main Features:

All airfields are enhanced to feature a variety of objects such as fuel and radar trucks, ambulances, etc. The density of objects for each airfield depends on the number of hardstands and is consistent throughout all maps and campaigns.

In terms of relative density, type, and nationality (though DGen doesn't fully support this), static aircraft are calibrated to each campaign, largely in reference to the September 2 version of the table located at: http://www.yogysoft.de/il2/pdt.xls. For instance, there is no static P-39N at Lvov in 1941. Where and when it would historically appear, it does so proportionally with other types. (History or aesthetics aside, this is relevant as DGen computes aircraft attrition both in the air and on the ground.)

AA batteries appear sporadically at bridges throughout the campaigns to flavour bridge-bombing missions.

Like the static aircraft, AI and player-controlled aircraft types, nationality, and relative densities are defined for each campaign in accordance to the database referenced above.

Each campaign features new ground targets including truck parks, gun emplacements, fuel dumps, etc. Where possible, they are located with respect to the motion of the front lines, so that at each stage of a given campaign, neither side should be deprived of at least some variety of targets.

Trains, vehicle convoys, armour columns, and shipping are all enhanced as well. For instance, like aircraft, armour appears with some regard for history. Ferdinands won't be encountered prior to Kursk, for instance. Also, all available types of vehicle columns and trains will appear consistently throughout all of the campaigns.

There are discreet "South" and "Central" fronts for both Russian and German pilots, and for both fighter and ground attack roles. (Bomber campaigns are unaltered.)

Mission files are rationalised to provide greater consistency, and are expanded to provide greater variety of mission types. Each standard type features six different missions.

Albeit very subtly, mission files reflect historic numerical disparity. For instance, occasion for German pilots to be outnumbered is slightly less in 1943 than it is in 1944.

Missions are slightly more challenging than the stock DGen equivalents, particularly with respect to the ground attack role, while they are slightly less taxing in terms of aircraft density (a concession to the increase in object density generated with each mission).

If you experience trouble please contact me here or at the SimHQ forums.

Cheers,

Greg

Deadmeat313
02-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Excellent! I've just downloaded it. I'll give it a whirl tonight. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Thank you Greg. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

T.

Skycat_2
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Bump cause I had to work to find this thread. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CombatAce_MK2
03-06-2006, 07:03 PM
BTW AK Davis has posted some files that help integrate Greg's wonderful work with Ostfront. it is available at simhq in a thread and I will try to upload it to www.combatace.com (http://www.combatace.com)

Thanks for the great work Greg!!!

jeanba2
03-08-2006, 12:19 AM
I am playing a "normal DGEN" Il2 campaign and I am alittle bored by the lack of ground activity ...
It seems that Enhanced DGEN can improve this, but I have a question :
Is it possible to install enhanced DGEN and continue plaiying my normal campaign, but with the enhanced DGEN or do I have to restart it ?

Thank you in advance

GregSM
03-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Hi Jeanba2,

€œIs it possible to install enhanced DGEN and continue plaiying my normal campaign, but with the enhanced DGEN or do I have to restart it ?€

Installing the Enhanced package changes the basic structure of campaigns, and so it€s almost certainly best to finish your current campaign first.

However, if a bit of a tussle, it€s possible to start a new campaign while retaining some of the history - rank, flight members, kills, etc. €" from the previous one.

Cheers,

Greg

jeanba2
03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Thank you for your answer.
And if I replace only the .mis files (blue and red) ?

Sorry if my question is stupid ...

GregSM
03-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Not at all - it€s perfectly reasonable question.

Installing just the blue and red mission files shouldn€t cause trouble provided the full names of those in question haven€t changed from the stock equivalents. Beware that some have.

Please say if you want further help,

Greg