PDA

View Full Version : When we were young

slipBall
05-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Besides the fact that this is the greatest combat sim for fan fans. There is in most of us a deep love of flying. I think that we all acquired this at a very early age. What is your earliest childhood memory that influenced your love of flight.
For me, my Uncle gave to me a piece of shrapnel from a Japanese fighter, and a whole lot of great action filled stories of the war in the Pacific. Also for me, I grew up next to a Naval air weapons base, I can still hear, and see the many fly over's, when I was young

slipBall
05-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Besides the fact that this is the greatest combat sim for fan fans. There is in most of us a deep love of flying. I think that we all acquired this at a very early age. What is your earliest childhood memory that influenced your love of flight.
For me, my Uncle gave to me a piece of shrapnel from a Japanese fighter, and a whole lot of great action filled stories of the war in the Pacific. Also for me, I grew up next to a Naval air weapons base, I can still hear, and see the many fly over's, when I was young

Toten_Waffe
05-20-2006, 05:44 PM
2 A-10's circling and practise strafing a ship wreck on a beach in Norfolk near Cromer. I was about 5 or 6 at the time and remember it as one of the most amazing things I have ever seen to this day. This was in the mid 80's and they were probably based at either Lakenheath or Mildenhall but not sure exactly.

horseback
05-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm an Air Force brat. One of my earliest memories is living at Mountain Home AFB (in Idaho, home of 'the purple mountains' majesty') and hearing this tremendous racket. I remember looking up at this huge aircraft flying far enough overhead that it made contrails. It was still recognizably a (probably an R)B-36.

I was about 4 at the time, and I can't ever remember not being in love with military airplanes.

cheers

horseback

slipBall
05-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I really find it amazing, how vividly our early flight memories stayed with us. Sights, and sounds, still there, deep in our souls. I would like to hear Oleg's early memories

WildApes
05-20-2006, 06:01 PM
hmm I always used to think that it was just because I got into flight sims at a young age but now that I think about it my dad traveled alot and I had been on probably 20 planes by the time I was 3.

Flight combat sims are a new thing for me but I am having a fun time with IL-2.

LStarosta
05-20-2006, 06:05 PM
I just heard that fighter pilots scored more chicks than sanitation workers, so that did it for me.

Toten_Waffe
05-20-2006, 06:05 PM
For anybody born in the late 70's/early 80's try and tell me that the film Top Gun didnt have any influence on you....and I will call you a big fat liar http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

x6BL_Brando
05-20-2006, 06:18 PM
When I was a kid my Grandfather took me to Heathrow airport, in the years before 707s started flying.

The highlight of the trip was three circuits of the airport - in a De Havilland Rapide! Can you imagine!? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It'd be like a DF arena feat if anyone tried nowadays.

As near as I can recall it was 1954.

B.

Longpo
05-20-2006, 06:19 PM
My dad was in the RAF so that started off the interest. (He worked on Harriers, specifically the ejection seat, making sure it ejected http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

When I was about 4 I moved to Saudi Arabia because my dad started working for BAE who worked with the Saudi Air force. So there was a combination of seeing/mostly hearing Tornados and F-15s flying over that fueled it along with the countless number of times I flew in a 747 going from Scotland to Saudi, which was only ever exciting when I was a young boy. (I thought it was like Thunderbirds or something)

I remember once in Saudi when I was at school and we were out playing during are lunch break and suddenly this F-15 appears overhead and it€s upside down.

Now I'm not sure exactly how low he was but I could see the pilot VERY clearly as he zoomed by.

It looked to me then as if he had just missed one of the tall school buildings.

My dad has told me there has been the odd case of pilots crashing whilst showing off over small towns and such where their family and cronies live.

I used to really love the modern type Fighter Jets and such when I was younger but when I got to a certain age I was drawn to the old WW2 era birds (funnily enough around about the same age I started having a taste for "old" music)

DmdSeeker
05-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Coming from a military family; seeing the Battle of Britain as a young boy (it was HUGE in England when released) and hearing my mother talking of the Battle of Britain and Granddad's escape from Dunkirk (she grew up in Gosport and Granddad was RSM of the Royal Engineers).

civildog
05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Other than watching episodes of "12'o Clock High" when I was little it was going out to where my Granfather worked at Lockheed for the employee air show/ picnics.

The planes that made the biggest impressions on me at those were the P-38 and the F-104. The 38 was huge! And they'd have a couple of them flying in tight formation all around the field in Burbank. The most vivid memory is of the pair of them roaring along the taxiway outside the assembly hangers and my Grandfather telling me about how he helped build those during the war.

The F-104 was something else, though, and I was in awe of it after they did a demonstration of the plane taking off in formation with a pair of Phantoms. It left the Phantoms looking like they were standing still and I was hooked. The flim that they showed on the big screen in the hanger of the Zero-Length Launch tests were even cooler as I imagined fleets of Starfighters hidden away to pop up out of barns and sheds all over the seaboard ready to zoom away and intercept the incoming Soviet bombers. I mean come on! - anything called "Starfighter" has just gotta be the fastest, baddest MiG killer out there! The thing looked like it should have had a laser in it's nose, for Pete's sake.

In the late evenings during the summers I would hang out by my granparents' pool with my brother and watch the missile test trails coming out of Vandenberg shooting off towards Hawaii. You gotta remember this was in the late 60's and we still had nuclear attack duck and cover drills in LA until the big San Fernando quake in '72 (or 71, maybe), so we would hear the sonic booms roll in out of the desert ("The sound of Freedom!" was what they called it in the public service announcements) and imagine they were Starfighters screaming out over the Pacific hunting Badgers and jousting with MiGs.

My brother and I even had plastic toy fighter pilot helmets that we would wear while playing "Ace Starfighter MiG killers of the USAF" on patrol hunting Ivan in our cardboard box F-104s. Man, those were the days! Those simulators had better graphics and sound than anything today -even live action ejections! "AHHHH, a MiG got me! I'm punching out!" ...then just jump out of the box for a safe recovery in the atomic wasteland and you're ready to hunt the mutants in the ruins!

mrsiCkstar
05-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Great stories everyone!

For me it's a pretty basic one... it probably started with Top Gun. now I'm not 100% sure about that because there might have been something else before I saw it but if there was I can't remember it at all.

Well as we all know, Top Gun is what they named cool after. I fell in love with the F-14 and I started collecting everything I could find about Military Aircraft. I bought magazines, books etc. Then I went to an airshow and they had an F/A-18C do a low altitude fly-by.

I remember first hearing the sound of the jet then all of a sudden he was there, made a tight-as-hell turn and then he was gone as fast as he appeared. I think that, along with when I sat in the original 60's Batmobile, has to be the coolest thing I've seen. I've just always loved military aircraft.

Living in Finland and now in Norway there weren't or aren't many interesting airshows. I'd love to have the chance to visit some great museums with WWII birds in them.

danjama
05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I love when this thread pops up every now and then http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

My first memory is a airshow at Duxford around 7/8, watching an EEL fly over, and sitting under a B17 in the rain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif This is my fave memory. I have pics if anyones interested page me.

Second, is making plastic models with my best friend at about 5/6! Very nice times http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

fordfan25
05-20-2006, 08:06 PM
well i always had a thing for jets. topgun and iorn eagle movies were resones but the first was AIRWOLF. i didnt get into WW2 fighters untill after i had gotten into WW2 battle ships wich lead to carriers then the planes.

Werg78
05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
the first and maybe most important was the battle of britain movie. after that i was hooked, started to build 1/72 models of ww2 fighters read the time life series about the raf, usaaf, lw and vvs airwar (from the local libary) multiple times.

when my father bought an amstrad cpc 6128 i got to play my first "sim" ace of aces. the "dogfighting" sucked hard but dropping bombs with those cool whizzling sounds was awesome. some more crappy sims 2 atari st and one amiga later i had a pc and their finest hour battle of britain. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FoolTrottel
05-20-2006, 08:13 PM
My bigger brother (+3 years) got me into it!

He bought those plastic model kits of them war machines! He started it!

My first kit, if I remember correctly, was a 1/72 Wellington, KX ?. Lots of them followed... lots...

Never got to see any warbird in real life...

Too bad, oh well, there's IL2 ...

ImpStarDuece
05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
When I was a kid, the RAAF would occasionally use the hill on our property, the tallest in the area, as a navigation point for low-level training.

I can remember being about 8 or 10, working on a fence in the middle of a crystal blue summers day, and hearing this screaming noise and having no idea what it was. All of a sudden I turned and saw a pair of Mirage IIIs coming down the hill at no more than 50 meters. Following them were 4 F-111s in tight formation.

They shot down the hill, leveled out along the valley and passed parallel to where we were working, before following the curve of the hillside up and out again, down towards Burrinjuck. The whole episode must of lasted about 15 seconds.

Jatro13th
05-20-2006, 08:49 PM
4 years old, just about to board a 737-200 to Athens, and I am scared sh1tle$$ that the plane has no floor, and we would have to go through the machinery to find our seats... Never expressed my fears to my mother and brother, I just kept on crying... The moment they drag me into the plane I see the floor and the crying stops. A fraction of a second later, I saw the open door of the cockpit and the panel in all its splendour and the drooling begins...

Been hooked ever since...
Nice to share this with you guys!

danjama
05-20-2006, 09:02 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LEBillfish
05-20-2006, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
I really find it amazing, how vividly our early flight memories stayed with us. Sights, and sounds, still there, deep in our souls. I would like to hear Oleg's early memories </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg's memories?....He posted about this about two years ago.....

He was just a kid in Stalingrad in the factory district........The german tanks were rolling in and the older boys would tie a rope around his waist and lower him down on to them where he'd place mines on them or sometimes molitov cocktails.........But he was a goofy kid.....So he would tend to hold his arms out from his sides and go "VrrrrrrrooOOOOOooom" as he'd be swinging over them.....Always wanting to fly an IL2..........and that's why they called him "lil'Sturmovik".

Ok, that's a lie, stole most of it from the tank commander in the movie "the Beast", blatantly made up the rest......good story though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Esel1964
05-20-2006, 09:55 PM
When I was very young(one of my oldest memories) I found a WW2 airmen's wing pin in my grandmother's gravel driveway.I asked what it was,and when I was told it was a pilot's wings,I always looked at every plane I heard,and wondered if it was that guy's wings-cut me some slack,I was 3-4 y.o.

Later,when I was old enough to care about history,I learned the house I'd lived in since infancy,was originally the officer's mess hall of the local WW1 airfield-obviously with walls added to make rooms within the original one large room.
Maybe we had a few resident ghosts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif that somehow influenced me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif.
Throw in the occasional sonic boom(before they were 'outlawed')of B-58 Hustler's from the local A.F.B.;and to my B.S.A.L.,at about 13 y.o.,my father started flying lessons at a small facility that actually let me sit in the classroom "...as long as you're quiet,and don't fidget...",of course I jumped at that chance-loved every second of it-no free rides though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif.

knightflyte
05-21-2006, 01:29 AM
My love for flight came from the sense of freedom it gave me. As a kid I was pretty sick and needed surguries to correct. Recouperation times sometimes measured in months. (Drs. were very conservative back then)

Well it was summertime ALL my friends and siblings got to play out side, but not me. It was pretty depressing to be 6.........

Anyway. When I was finally able to go out my mother took me to the local shopping center. In one part of the parking lot was an amusementpark. You know, a small rollercoaster, a few caliapies,the 'turnpike', the arcade, and MY favorite even to this day the airplane. It was just a kids ride. I hopped up into the cockpit of the orange plane and when the ride's engine started and the pnuematics made their 'Chhhhhhhhushhhhhhhhhh' noise I knew my ride was ready. I turned the wheel left, and I took off to the skies. I wasn't sick. I was FREE. It was only 10 or 12 feet off the ground, but the hospital couldn't reach me. It was the happiest I remember being when I was 6.

Not long after I had to go back into the hospital on a different matter. The father of the child in the next bed asked if I liked airplanes. Remembering my amusement ride I said YES. The next day he brought me a 1/72nd scale P40.

That started my fascination. MANY MANY MANY models later I fly simulators, and I still look back fondly at my orange freedom plane.

madsarmy
05-21-2006, 01:47 AM
I cant remember not being a WWII aviation fan. Been with me all my life.

Even as a young child my father used to announce as he walked off to the toilet that he was
€œjust popping off to bomb Germany€œ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
He's a plane nut too. or is he just a plain nut? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

WTE_Ibis
05-21-2006, 01:55 AM
When I was very young my dad gave me a model plane, I didn't know it at the time because I was to young, but it was an aerocobra and it was made from a shiny metal. Well being very young I lost it didn't I.
What I learned later in life almost made me commit suicide because that model aircraft was
made from a Japanese zero propeller and dad had brought it back from New Guinea in 1945.
I wish he had kept it till I could appreciate it, but that's life and I have looked up at passing aircraft ever since.

russ.nl
05-21-2006, 02:06 AM
I live next to a navy airfield so I gruw up with P-3c flying over. When I was young I used to hop on my bike, when one was coming in to land, and race to the airfield to see them landing.
Those planes flying over made me feel at home.
Our village has a great history dating back to the romens and has been one of the places where the germans dropped there troops when they invaded Holland. Hens ww2 interest.

Esel1964
05-21-2006, 02:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knightflyte:
My love for flight came from the sense of freedom it gave me. As a kid I was pretty sick and needed surguries to correct. Recouperation times sometimes measured in months. (Drs. were very conservative back then)

Well it was summertime ALL my friends and siblings got to play out side, but not me. It was pretty depressing to be 6.........

Anyway. When I was finally able to go out my mother took me to the local shopping center. In one part of the parking lot was an amusementpark. You know, a small rollercoaster, a few caliapies,the 'turnpike', the arcade, and MY favorite even to this day the airplane. It was just a kids ride. I hopped up into the cockpit of the orange plane and when the ride's engine started and the pnuematics made their 'Chhhhhhhhushhhhhhhhhh' noise I knew my ride was ready. I turned the wheel left, and I took off to the skies. I wasn't sick. I was FREE. It was only 10 or 12 feet off the ground, but the hospital couldn't reach me. It was the happiest I remember being when I was 6.

Not long after I had to go back into the hospital on a different matter. The father of the child in the next bed asked if I liked airplanes. Remembering my amusement ride I said YES. The next day he brought me a 1/72nd scale P40.

That started my fascination. MANY MANY MANY models later I fly simulators, and I still look back fondly at my orange freedom plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's wishing you all the best,your post was a great perspective on the feeling of flying-I thank you for it.

I heard a song once that was pointing out what many academicians believe to be mankind's inherent,subconscious desire to be back in the womb-hence basically weightless.I remember the chorus as being "...anything to be weightless again...". I believe Carl Sagan also espoused the idea that we all just want to go "home",which he believed would involve flying/travelling(great distances).

I'm not hanging my hat on either of those pegs,I'm just saying it makes you think.

Thanks for your post,M8.

Marak117
05-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Imagine what effect this had on a ten year old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_(game)

As well as being a hell of a lot of fun, It featured the greatest manual in the history of gaming. A 200 page reference book with a short history of the war, biographies of the various aces, and detailed information on everything from medals to machine guns. It also had some lovely artwork of the different planes.

The only real problem is that even now my first instinct when flying is to stick my wings at 90 degrees to the horizon and yank back on the controls.

slipBall
05-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Yes, that would have a huge effect, 200 page reference book! wow

slipBall
05-21-2006, 03:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knightflyte:

That started my fascination. MANY MANY MANY models later I fly simulators, and I still look back fondly at my orange freedom plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

very http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

danjama
05-21-2006, 06:06 AM

Really touching story mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buster1954
05-21-2006, 06:49 AM
My dad took me to an "Armed Forces Day" event at the airport...I would have been about 5 or 6 yrs old (late 50's). They were giving "penny a pound" air rides in a Braniff Air Lines twin engine Convair, so my fare would have been about 60 cents I s'pose... My first airplane ride...I still remember being a bit apprehensive looking out the window at the cars and people "way down there"... My dad had soloed at that time, but did'nt yet have his private. That came later, and through out my youth, he and I would fly most Saturdays to area small towns for "fly-in" breakfasts, or simply for a "Dawn Patrol". Mostly in a Piper Tri pacer, and later an old Cessna 172. I have a few hours of dual, but never got my ticket...maybe some day.........

mortoma1958
05-21-2006, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
I'm an Air Force brat. One of my earliest memories is living at Mountain Home AFB (in Idaho, home of 'the purple mountains' majesty') and hearing this tremendous racket. I remember looking up at this huge aircraft flying far enough overhead that it made contrails. It was still recognizably a (probably an R)B-36.

I was about 4 at the time, and I can't ever remember not being in love with military airplanes.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I live in Boise Id. now and have been in the town of Mountain Home many times, my GF last summer lived near Grandview.
What purple mountains are you talking about??
It's all high, sage brush desert around there.
Some foothills to the north and SW, but not really mountains. One of the ugliest places to live on this earth!! The desert is knarly lookin around here. The economy sucks around here too, want to move back to Indiana!!! Idaho is one of the lowest wage states in the US. Did I mention that the high desert is ugly??

Friendly_flyer
05-21-2006, 08:25 AM
The glue.

It must have been the glue, putting together all those Airfix models as a kid.

heywooood
05-21-2006, 10:52 AM
I was in an airport - one of my first memories - my parents divorced and we kids were shipped off to Canada, eh.

No idea what was going on then - 4yr olds don't usually...all I knew was that the shiny little airliners looked coool. And they came in a size small at the giftshop we almost passed.

I prolly carried that Dc-4 around for a year without putting it down...nice TWA livery.

Small leap to other types of airplanes...if they have wings - I'm a big fan.

being that young and winging over clouds on a sunny, fall day - I'll always remember that feeling...sun glinting on silver wings and the thrumming engines with the world below...thats an awesome early memory to have.

slipBall
05-21-2006, 11:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Friendly_flyer:
The glue.

It must have been the glue, putting together all those Airfix models as a kid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, the glue http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

horseback
05-21-2006, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma1958:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I live in Boise Id. now and have been in the town of Mountain Home many times, my GF last summer lived near Grandview.
What purple mountains are you talking about??
It's all high, sage brush desert around there.
Some foothills to the north and SW, but not really mountains. One of the ugliest places to live on this earth!! The desert is knarly lookin around here. The economy sucks around here too, want to move back to Indiana!!! Idaho is one of the lowest wage states in the US. Did I mention that the high desert is ugly?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My Dad was stationed at Mountain Home from 1955 to 1959, or from shortly before my third birthday until shortly after my sixth birthday. I have never had the opportunity to go back, so my memories of the area are untouched by adult prejudices.

As you mentioned, the base is in the high desert, and I remember that it was surrounded by low scrub, but I could see the mountains in the distance (I believe they went all around the valley), and they were purple, therefore they must have been the 'purple mountains' majesty' we sang about in kindergarten.

Hey, I was four, I literally had no other reference, and I was in a safe, happy family.

Don't spoil it for me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

By the way, I live in San Diego now, where the cost of living is ludicrously high, a family home is out of the reach of a median income family and we pay the highest gasoline prices in the country. Wasn't there some old saying about grass being greener?

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
05-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I cant really remember when exactly.... I know my uncle was a crewman on a bomber in Korea... he had an oxygen mask in the basement of my grandparent's house. I used tpo play with it all the time... I had a cousin who was 6 years older than me.. he had a Cox P-40... When hwe wasnt flying it I was running around the attic of the house making airplane noises... I was @4-5 then... I always just liked airplanes... Not to mention Sky King (http://skyking.com/).... and I always liked any movie with airplanes in it.... but Sky King and Sea Hunt were my two favorite shows...

mazexx
05-21-2006, 02:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buster1954:
My dad took me to an "Armed Forces Day" event at the airport...I would have been about 5 or 6 yrs old (late 50's)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he, when you say that I think of the future for my sons interest in aircraft... Last weekend they had a similar "Armed Forces Day" where I live. I took my son who is soon 4 years old and he was completely blown away after the airshow by a JAS-39 Gripen. They had one on the ground too and he stayed there looking at it for a long time. Just look at that smile http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If he gets to one of these threads in 30-40 years or so I guess I know what his answer will be http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://web.telia.com/~u40237862/images/hamp-jas39.jpg

Myself I could not remember what really got me hooked when thinking about it... Was it the Biggles books that I read everyone of? Was it the first 1/72 model (interesting enough in these BoB days it was an ME-109E3). Was it the aircraft that always passed over our house taking off from the nearby airfield?

After feeling the ground tremble as the JAS-39 passed low on full afterburner last weekend and feeling my sons hands clasp my head as he sat on my shoulders I realized that it was on an airshow in the mid 70:ies where an AJ-37 Viggen passed low on full afterburner in the same way, and the sweet smell of jet kerosene in the hot summer day...

/Mazex

danjama
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mazexx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buster1954:
My dad took me to an "Armed Forces Day" event at the airport...I would have been about 5 or 6 yrs old (late 50's)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he, when you say that I think of the future for my sons interest in aircraft... Last weekend they had a similar "Armed Forces Day" where I live. I took my son who is soon 4 years old and he was completely blown away after the airshow by a JAS-39 Gripen. They had one on the ground too and he stayed there looking at it for a long time. Just look at that smile http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If he gets to one of these threads in 30-40 years or so I guess I know what his answer will be http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://web.telia.com/~u40237862/images/hamp-jas39.jpg

Myself I could not remember what really got me hooked when thinking about it... Was it the Biggles books that I read everyone of? Was it the first 1/72 model (interesting enough in these BoB days it was an ME-109E3). Was it the aircraft that always passed over our house taking off from the nearby airfield?

After feeling the ground tremble as the JAS-39 passed low on full afterburner last weekend and feeling my sons hands clasp my head as he sat on my shoulders I realized that it was on an airshow in the mid 70:ies where an AJ-37 Viggen passed low on full afterburner in the same way, and the sweet smell of jet cerosene in the hot summer day...

/Mazex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

buster1954
05-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Great picture mazexx!! I still have pictures that my dad saved of me...one standing by the nose wheel of an F-86D "Sabre Dog" (the wheel is taller than I am!), and another, a few years later, of me sitting in the cockpit of an F-8 Crusader. I have a similar picture of my own son, aged about 5 or so, sitting in the cocpit of an F-4 Phantom, with a huge grin on his face, giving the camera a classic fighter jock "thumbs up"...

Taylortony
05-21-2006, 04:55 PM
When I was young........ sigh this brings back evocotive memories. long since forgotten..........

The village I lived in had an Army camp next to it built on the site of one of Hadrians camps along Hadrians wall and as an inquisitive 7 ish year old kid I used to go and try and play on the gate gardian that was a captured German Pak 35... I used to sit on the seat, elevating the guns and generally playing wars until someone would come out of the Guardroom and shatter my fun... They had Tanks too, and I used to stand looking at them, dreaming of the day when I could drive one, the camp eventually closed and I missed the last parade through the village with the tanks driving though........... something I always regretted, but it made my mind up, I was going to be in the Military, eventually settling into the RAF.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My dream came true.....

Sitting on the tail ramp of a Chinook feet hanging over the back, flying low level down the Lake district of home at 40 foot hopping yacht masts on the lakes I knew it was finally realised..........

I was there and living the experience I dreamed of for so many a year, but finally my life came full circle, I had the opportunity to hitch a lift home and back for the weekend in a Puma Helicopter off the Squadron.
I was picked up from the M.U only miles from home and as we climbed out I pointed out to our Boss Sqd Ldr Donaldson my home village and where my mum worked in some of the remaining buildings on the now disused and mostly demolished camp. He told me to position myself in the open doorway on a crewmans harness and we dropped down megga low and fast as we flashed across the derelict camp hopping trees as we shot passed the buildings at low level, my mum and all of the staff bailed out of the building to watch as we screamed past, me sitting in the open doorway waving......... on that day she was the proudest of me she had ever been and talked about that moment for years to come, both to me and with folks from work.... My boss was a little less happy when he asked what the buildings were and I pointed out they were a Police Headquarters..... but nothing came of it as they all enjoyed the show http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

my last fond memory is of some 3 years ago and someone I never met or ever knew, we had an email enquiry at work from someone in Birmingham that had two children 3 and 5 that were an asking could they fly on a trial lesson as the kids where permantly bugging them with asking....... this was a no no because of the age, so we had to say no............ about 3 weeks later a flyer came out advertising the little show they hold annually in the airport terminal with lots of stalls etc... in the flyer it mentioned British Midlands where doing 45 mins flight experiences in a Fokker 100, so I scanned it and emailed it to them.........

The best buzz I had in a long time was an email I had some 3 weeks later, they thanked me as they had booked a flight ( cheap ) and not telling the kids where they were going had brought them to the Airport, they thought they were just going to watch the planes, but when they were told they were going in one they got soo excited, the megga happy father had emailed me to thank me for finding a way to letting them have the opportunity to fly for about an hour and they had sat with their little faces glued to the window for most of the flight................

That was one of the most satisfying moments in the job I have ever had........... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hadrians Camp as was, My mums house is just out of view at the bottom right corner.

http://www.hadriansoldboys.co.uk/images/hadcamp1.jpg

http://www.hadriansoldboys.co.uk/

Messaschnitzel
05-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Some of my earliest airplane memories were of an older cousin who was a pilot that flew F-4's during the cuban missile crisis. After he got out of the Navy, he began working as a crop duster pilot in east Texas. In my mind, he was the ideal 1960's poster boy of an American fighter pilot who was not only an able athlete, but had straight A grades as well when he was in school. The last I heard of him was that he was killed after getting tangled up in some power lines back in 1984. Knowing him, If he had to go suddenly, he would have had it happen while flying.

I remember he would take off from an empty field, the plane revving up and lifting off the ground into the wind, the plane's wheels clearing the treeline that separated one field from another. While he would be dusting the fields, the other pilot would land his plane to refill and wait for my cousin to come back so he could take off down the fence line and dust in his turn.

I recall on several occasions while out hunting or fishing when I was a kid, there were OV-10 Broncos that would fly really low and fast in an erratic zig-zag style. I would wait for them to blow past and watch them for as long as I could before the trees cut off the view.

Even though this stuff happened a long time ago, I still get a thrill when I think of these memories! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

wayno7777
05-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I live about 3 miles off the end of the runway of Lehigh Valley Intnl. Been watching the planes go over since we moved here in 1962. I remember asking my dad what the funny looking plane was. He said it was a Flying Boxcar. Most that flew over were silver, but occasionally ones with bright orange bands would fly over. Back then the airlines that served Allentown were Eastern and United. Over the course of years the prop planes were phased out. 727's were really loud. In fact all the early jets were really loud. Our windows would rattle. And the boxcars were replaced by C-130's. So, I guess I've always been interested in aviation. 12 O'High and The Battle of Britain are what pointed me in the WWII warbird direction....

DHC2Pilot
05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm an airline brat (laughing). My father was a captain for Eastern Air Lines, and he had a Piper Cub and a Cessna 180. So, I have always been around airplanes since birth. My earliest memory that I can recall was being about 4 years old in the front seat of the Cub, with the upper and lower door removed, and my dad doing REALLY lazy Lazy-8's (Nose almost vertical). That feeling of complete weightlessness with the wind blowing through my hair...wow. Plus, being a little tyke I was fascinated with all the dials and guages - well, the cub only had an airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, turn/slip, and oil temp/press. guage. 5 instruments. I was in awe!

Crash_Moses
05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Grew up on Narrow lake in Michigan. The grandson of one of the local farmers owned a float plane and I'd spend my Summers watching him practice his take offs and landings in front of the house (can't remember the kind of plane...hmm...wonder if Dad still has pictures).

Anyway, I don't know the details but Dad managed to wrangle a flight out of him one Summer. I was pretty young and the details are a little fuzzy but that was it. I was hooked. OMG...hadn't thought about that in years...

One of the last versions of SubLogic's Flight Simulator (before Microsoft bought it) came with a scenery editor. I spent hours recreating our lake and the surrounding area using old maps and some survey work my father had commissioned and flying a float plane around practicing my take offs and landings.

Eventually the grandson became a bush pilot in Alaska. He got lost in a storm and flew his plane into the side of a mountain. If you get a chance to watch some of the old National Geographic "Discovering Alaska" videos look for Roger Dowding in the credits. He was the pilot for the film crew in at least one of them. Got a copy around here somewhere...I think I'll have to dig it out now...