PDA

View Full Version : folding home (off topic)

altairiscool
08-04-2007, 04:36 PM
What is it?

altairiscool
08-04-2007, 04:36 PM
What is it?

SmokehtheFirst
08-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand what this topic is about..

Hudi_S
08-04-2007, 05:53 PM
OH OH I KNOW!!!!!!!! its when someone folds you up into a paperplane and throws u home http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

(i have no intent of bashing your thread or anything)

SmokehtheFirst
08-04-2007, 06:02 PM
OHHHHHH He's asking what folding home IS... OK... not sure man, never heard the phrase.

Robbinho1992
08-04-2007, 06:11 PM
You talking about on the PS3, it says Folding Home right? I think its there for whn they Release the Home part of, the Whole your own 3d avatar and Apartment, but i could be wrong, or you could be thinking of something toaaly different.

altairiscool
08-04-2007, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robbinho1992:
You talking about on the PS3, it says Folding Home right? I think its there for whn they Release the Home part of, the Whole your own 3d avatar and Apartment, but i could be wrong, or you could be thinking of something toaaly different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah i am talkin bout that thing on the ps3 that says folding home but im pretty sure its not to do with home the avatar thing.

Robbinho1992
08-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Umm dunno then, can you click on it? What does it show then?!

ifiwerearichman
08-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Close but you guys are WAY off. Firstly, its Folding @ Home. Secondly, its a joint effort in combating diseases caused by misfolded proteins (like Alzheimers if I'm not mistaken). Essentially, when you run the program, a packet of data is downloaded from a server in Stanford University (correct me if I'm wrong here) to the PS3 or any pc that has F@H installed. Then calculations are made from the data through the CPU and then the usable information is uploaded back to the server which in turn generates a super complex simulation of protein folding which Scientist can study in real time.

Edit: More info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_at_home).

altairiscool
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
oooooooooooooooh i get it ( me on the inside:http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif)

Robbinho1992
08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ifiwerearichman:
Close but you guys are WAY off. Firstly, its Folding @ Home. Secondly, its a joint effort in combating diseases caused by misfolded proteins (like Alzheimers if I'm not mistaken). Essentially, when you run the program, a packet of data is downloaded from a server in Stanford University (correct me if I'm wrong here) to the PS3 or any pc that has F@H installed. Then calculations are made from the data through the CPU and then the usable information is uploaded back to the server which in turn generates a super complex simulation of protein folding which Scientist can study in real time.

Edit: More info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_at_home). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woah, sounds interesting...never thought it would be about that, might ahve a look next time im on my PS3.

ifiwerearichman
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Ya you definitly should since many diseases are related to misfolded proteins in one way or another.

Fates.Dark.Hand
08-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I dont intend downloading it cause it takes up my PS3 Memory...

&lt;__&lt; lovin' guy I be

Hudi_S
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fates.Dark.Hand:
I dont intend downloading it cause it takes up my PS3 Memory...

&lt;__&lt; lovin' guy I be </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

knife_X
08-04-2007, 09:02 PM
You get any money for it... or? If not it`s just pure leeching!

ifiwerearichman
08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Wow... people these days... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Atheist2012
08-04-2007, 09:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knife_X:
You get any money for it... or? If not it`s just pure leeching! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not leeching because it's optional since they're not trying to sneak it into your computer. As for not giving anything in return, contributing could result in cures for serious diseases. So consider that when you're lying on your deathbed with cancer, instead of being some greedy ******* who just seeks profit out of everything.

altairiscool
08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atheist2012:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knife_X:
You get any money for it... or? If not it`s just pure leeching! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not leeching because it's optional since they're not trying to sneak it into your computer. As for not giving anything in return, contributing could result in cures for serious diseases. So consider that when you're lying on your deathbed with cancer, instead of being some greedy ******* who just seeks profit out of everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah your so inconsiderate. My brother has Cystic Fibrosis. Would you want him to die just cuz your a greedy jack***.

ThePheonix1030
08-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I run my Folding@Home at least two hours a day. So far, I've completed 13 work units...

altairiscool
08-04-2007, 11:40 PM
good for you my hdd is corrupt at the moment but once that is fixed i will start doin that.

Phreaky_McGeek
08-05-2007, 08:56 AM
I'd love to help but I don't have a PS3 and the PC version killed my computer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

altairiscool
08-05-2007, 12:44 PM
If I reformat my hdd there is no way to get my saved stuff of it right cuz that is pissing me off.

ifiwerearichman
08-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Well if you have a PS3 and a decently large external HDD (iPods work too) then you can back up all your files by going to:
Settings -&gt; System Settings -&gt; Backup Utility -&gt; Back up
or if you just want your save files then you can copy those files onto a USB key or SD card since save files aren't genrally that big. If we're talkin bout the PC well you can upload save files onto your email account or something like that.

altairiscool
08-05-2007, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ifiwerearichman:
Well if you have a PS3 and a decently large external HDD (iPods work too) then you can back up all your files by going to:
Settings -&gt; System Settings -&gt; Backup Utility -&gt; Back up
or if you just want your save files then you can copy those files onto a USB key or SD card since save files aren't genrally that big. If we're talkin bout the PC well you can upload save files onto your email account or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My HDD is already effed in the A ( its is corrupted.)

Phreaky_McGeek
08-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Can't get your saves back. You could if it was external as you could somehow link it up to your PC and Norton Ghost it, but your saves are with the fishies.