PDA

View Full Version : USB routers

mjrhealth
09-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a mate who flies in forgotten battles from Dubai in the UAE. He had a USB router and found his pings were constantly unstable and higher then 500 ms reacing 2000 and more at times. He got fed up and went and bought a Ethernet router his pings dropped to 250 to 300 ms and more stable. I have a feeling this has a lot to do with the pc doing some of the work for the router and possibly the fact that the pc need to access each USB port in turn compounding the problem. Why i brought this up is I am wondering how many people use USB routers and have ping issues online. Could be your problem.

mjrhealth

mjrhealth
09-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a mate who flies in forgotten battles from Dubai in the UAE. He had a USB router and found his pings were constantly unstable and higher then 500 ms reacing 2000 and more at times. He got fed up and went and bought a Ethernet router his pings dropped to 250 to 300 ms and more stable. I have a feeling this has a lot to do with the pc doing some of the work for the router and possibly the fact that the pc need to access each USB port in turn compounding the problem. Why i brought this up is I am wondering how many people use USB routers and have ping issues online. Could be your problem.

mjrhealth

Te_Vigo
09-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Thanks for that mjrhealth, at last someone else is on the same wavelength.

MaxMhz
09-07-2006, 05:48 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Very good post. This could well be the case - routers seem to cause a lot of problems anyway allways get the latest firmware from the manufacturer and inform your ISP you connected a router. They can then run a test if the connection is OK
Switching to another USB port can help sometimes too.

stansdds
09-08-2006, 05:32 AM
I have a Linksys USB router, never a problem and I have pretty low pings. I also have cable internet, 361 kbps up and 6.1 mbps down, that helps the ping tremendously.