PDA

View Full Version : Reach For The Sky

Oddly_Familiar
10-06-2006, 05:31 AM
For anybody who is currently in the UK and is on holiday/at home for whatever reason and so able to watch daytime TV, the film Reach for the Sky is on channel 4 at 1pm. It star Kenneth More as Douglas Bader. here is the excerpt from the Radio Times

"While many of Hollywood's tales about heroism during the Second World War were tainted by smug patriotism and unwelcome sentiment, postwar British cinema tended to handle the events of the conflict with fidelity and dignity, thanks no doubt to its worthy documentary heritage. This inspiring tale of unassuming courage is one of the finest in a proud tradition. Lewis Gilbert masterfully makes the drama as compelling as the action sequences, and Kenneth More gives the performance of his career playing Douglas Bader, the cocky pilot who overcame the loss of his legs in a pre-war flying accident to become one of the RAF's most decorated heroes."

Oddly_Familiar
10-06-2006, 05:31 AM
For anybody who is currently in the UK and is on holiday/at home for whatever reason and so able to watch daytime TV, the film Reach for the Sky is on channel 4 at 1pm. It star Kenneth More as Douglas Bader. here is the excerpt from the Radio Times

"While many of Hollywood's tales about heroism during the Second World War were tainted by smug patriotism and unwelcome sentiment, postwar British cinema tended to handle the events of the conflict with fidelity and dignity, thanks no doubt to its worthy documentary heritage. This inspiring tale of unassuming courage is one of the finest in a proud tradition. Lewis Gilbert masterfully makes the drama as compelling as the action sequences, and Kenneth More gives the performance of his career playing Douglas Bader, the cocky pilot who overcame the loss of his legs in a pre-war flying accident to become one of the RAF's most decorated heroes."

Skeet2005
10-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I wonder if someone in the UK could tape it for me? Or put it on a DVD? Let me know, PM or email. One of my heroes!!!
Mike

leitmotiv
10-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Unless you have a universal DVD player or a videotape player which plays UK format, they wouldn't do you any good. You can get it from US Amazon on videotape.

vocatx
10-07-2006, 08:46 AM
I bought the book nearly 30 years ago, but I never knew there was a movie. Is it good? Would it be worth buying?

For any who don't know the story: BUY THE BOOK! You will be hard pressed to find a story more inspiring than Bader's. I've got the old Bantam War Book paperback version from the 70's, and I wouldn't sell it for any price.

Skeet2005
10-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Actually, I could convert it if someone has it. Anyway, the only one available on DVD on amazon is the 1950's movie version. I have that. Thanks again, of someone has the new one, contact me.
Mike

x6BL_Brando
10-07-2006, 10:01 AM
It's a tricky question. Kenneth More played quite a few service roles as well as comedy & musicals.

In one way he represented the Fifties and early Sixties as a thoroughly decent, rather prudish Englishman. It's exemplified in the scene from Guy Hamilton's 1969 epic Battle of Britain where, as Group Captain Baker, he harasses S.O. Harvey (Susannah York) because some of the WAAFs are taking cover in the same trenches as the men.

Reach for the Sky is an interesting movie, but I never thought Kenneth More had the depth to play DB. I still hold that view. There is too much of the "boisterous public-schoolboys play like this" stuff, that quite misses the 'presence' felt by the men who served under him.

Worth watching - but nothing special.

B.