PDA

View Full Version : location of IL-2 download file

jfischer
07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I have just purchased, for the second time, IL-2 1946. I would really like to back up the download to an external hard drive in case I lose another system as I did with my Vista machine and have to re-install. They have down a good job hiding the download and I can not find it using a seach of my new Windows 7 computer.

jfischer
07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I have just purchased, for the second time, IL-2 1946. I would really like to back up the download to an external hard drive in case I lose another system as I did with my Vista machine and have to re-install. They have down a good job hiding the download and I can not find it using a seach of my new Windows 7 computer.

Tully__
07-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Which online provider did you get it from? Different provider's packages go to different locations.

jfischer
07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I purchased download directly from the Ubisoft store online.

Tully__
07-19-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm not sure where that one goes, I have Steam (CoD) but not any UbiStore stuff.

In any case, if you can find the folder where it's installed (C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL2 Sturmovik perhaps?) you can run the game from a copy of the installation folder without actually installing it. All you'll need to do on a new system is copy it on, create a shortcut to start it from and run il2setup.exe to select the correct hardware before starting the game.

TipsyTed
07-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Yup, do what Tully said.

In a nutshell: instead of backing up the downloaded files, backup the installed game instead.

(simply make a back up copy of entire installation folder - IL-2 1946 does not use registry entries to run, so you can format your machine and then just copy this backed up folder back to your hdd and it will run fine)

jfischer
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks, I will back up the game and save for any future diasters. Though hopefully nothing will be as bad as Vista.