PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed Sword Fighting

Dave616
11-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Hello Ubisoft and Assassins Creed fans,

Since Assassins Creed has come out it has been my favourite game. I love the free running and the total feel of the game.

But still until today in my opinion there hasnít been a ďreallyĒ good sword fighting game. But considering I really like assassins creed Iím going to tell you how I would further improve your sword fighting in the game. Since I donít know anything about making games and how difficult it is Iím just going to tell you, I donít know if it can be done, you tell me!!

I really like the way you have further improved the fighting by making it very fast paced were you can lock on the next target you are going to kill, I also like the combo and the counter kills. Still this isnít SWORD FIGHTING, donít make any mistakes, I like this system and itís really good but in my opinion its missing one thing: the real sword fighting were you and your enemy strike at each other simultaneously clashing swords.

Iíll now try to explain how I would do this.
When Ezio engages an enemy and they strike their swords at each other, at the moments your swords ďtouchĒ you press X (on the Xbox 360) just like you would normally make a combo kill. This requires timing. Depending on your timing there are 6 possible outcomes:
1. You are facing a though enemy, your timing is exact but still he wounds you (kicks you / hits you / cuts you).
2. You are facing a though enemy, your timing is exact but still there is a ďnext strikeĒ.
3. Your timing is exact and you finish of your enemy (like a combo kill) .
4. Your timing is exact, you wound your enemy.
5. Your timing is not good enough, there will be a next strike.
6. Your timing is bad, your enemy wounds you.
Each strike you have to press X when the swords ďtouchĒ resulting in one of the 6 outcomes. The tougher the enemy gets the bigger the chance is youíll get outcome 1 or 2. To make the sword fighting even more interesting I would also allow to block and perform a counter kill (the AI can also perform a block). Also each strike is different requiring a different timing.

Now I donít know if this can be done but if it can be done I imagine: Ezio runs up to a papall guard and engages into combat. Ezio strikes, the papal guard blocks. Ezio and the papal guard then strike simultaneous and engage in a sword fight, the first hit, youíve timed your next strike perfect but still the papal guard slams you in your face, they strike at each other, another strike, then Ezio cuts the papall guards leg wounding him after which he cuts hit throat.

If this can be done I think youíd set a new standard for fighting games with swords.

I hope this letter will be red by an actual person on the assassins creed team and that you let me know something about how you think about my idea. Anyone else let me know what you think, thereís no such thing as a bad comment.

Greetings,

Dave

Dave616
11-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Hello Ubisoft and Assassins Creed fans,

Since Assassins Creed has come out it has been my favourite game. I love the free running and the total feel of the game.

But still until today in my opinion there hasnít been a ďreallyĒ good sword fighting game. But considering I really like assassins creed Iím going to tell you how I would further improve your sword fighting in the game. Since I donít know anything about making games and how difficult it is Iím just going to tell you, I donít know if it can be done, you tell me!!

I really like the way you have further improved the fighting by making it very fast paced were you can lock on the next target you are going to kill, I also like the combo and the counter kills. Still this isnít SWORD FIGHTING, donít make any mistakes, I like this system and itís really good but in my opinion its missing one thing: the real sword fighting were you and your enemy strike at each other simultaneously clashing swords.

Iíll now try to explain how I would do this.
When Ezio engages an enemy and they strike their swords at each other, at the moments your swords ďtouchĒ you press X (on the Xbox 360) just like you would normally make a combo kill. This requires timing. Depending on your timing there are 6 possible outcomes:
1. You are facing a though enemy, your timing is exact but still he wounds you (kicks you / hits you / cuts you).
2. You are facing a though enemy, your timing is exact but still there is a ďnext strikeĒ.
3. Your timing is exact and you finish of your enemy (like a combo kill) .
4. Your timing is exact, you wound your enemy.
5. Your timing is not good enough, there will be a next strike.
6. Your timing is bad, your enemy wounds you.
Each strike you have to press X when the swords ďtouchĒ resulting in one of the 6 outcomes. The tougher the enemy gets the bigger the chance is youíll get outcome 1 or 2. To make the sword fighting even more interesting I would also allow to block and perform a counter kill (the AI can also perform a block). Also each strike is different requiring a different timing.

Now I donít know if this can be done but if it can be done I imagine: Ezio runs up to a papall guard and engages into combat. Ezio strikes, the papal guard blocks. Ezio and the papal guard then strike simultaneous and engage in a sword fight, the first hit, youíve timed your next strike perfect but still the papal guard slams you in your face, they strike at each other, another strike, then Ezio cuts the papall guards leg wounding him after which he cuts hit throat.

If this can be done I think youíd set a new standard for fighting games with swords.

I hope this letter will be red by an actual person on the assassins creed team and that you let me know something about how you think about my idea. Anyone else let me know what you think, thereís no such thing as a bad comment.

Greetings,

Dave

magesupermaster
11-13-2010, 06:20 AM
You don't have to create a second thread..

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Not sure I fully get the idea.

If you're saying you have the swords clash every time, you're wrong.

If you're saying to implement the system you described when both the player and a guard attack simultaneously, then you're half-right, but a system like that would be unplayable, and thus break the game instead of improving it.

It would be nice if a game could implement something along the lines of what you're suggesting, but the specific idea you're coming up with is, in my opinion, one which would be unplayable.

I may be missing something though, because I did have trouble working out what you meant (as proven by the beginning of my post).

If you explain it in a different way, I might get it easier, and could give more feedback.

Also, 2 threads created on same topic. Posted in this one because it already had a reply, might want to have the other deleted...

Dave616
11-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Hello,

First, thanks for reading my post. I'll try and explain it better.

Sword fighting might have been the wrong word, a better one would be a duel. When you strike at an enemy in game and the enemy blocks your strike it doesnít fluently go in a next attack, you first retreat your sword and then you strike again. If I would make the duel system and you engage in a dual I would let the computer visualise all the possible outcomes I described in my post before it happens and then it only has to react to your timing. In this way you could make the harder fights (in my opinion) better because it could be made to look really cool, it would still be different because each strike you have to time different and it would go allot faster because you and your enemy are constantly striking at each other. Also I think it would give fighting a more real feel.

Does this make my posting better understandable? Let me know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Not sure I fully get the idea.

If you're saying you have the swords clash every time, you're wrong.

If you're saying to implement the system you described when both the player and a guard attack simultaneously, then you're half-right, but a system like that would be unplayable, and thus break the game instead of improving it.

It would be nice if a game could implement something along the lines of what you're suggesting, but the specific idea you're coming up with is, in my opinion, one which would be unplayable.

I may be missing something though, because I did have trouble working out what you meant (as proven by the beginning of my post).

If you explain it in a different way, I might get it easier, and could give more feedback.

Also, 2 threads created on same topic. Posted in this one because it already had a reply, might want to have the other deleted... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 07:22 AM
The ay the game works now, it shows a fairly basic attack with three main possibilities.

1.) The character blocks effectively, deflecting the blade and forcing the attacker's sword aside, leaving the attacker open for a counter.

2.) The character does a hard block, which leaves the defender open to a follow-up attack (can lead from a clash like this into your combo-kill when you're attacking)

3.) you hit for full damage, and can follow up this attack also.

Are you suggesting to add other possibilities to option 2, which would overcomplicate things, or are you saying to rework the combat system drastically?

Dave616
11-13-2010, 07:42 AM
The way you break it up now I would put it as an extra point on your list for the harder enemy. If you understand what i just said, in a duel the timing of your strikes is harder because every strike is different and you got a chance that you'll get wounded, making it more intense. If you duel with a normal enemy one precise timing would be enough to kill it, making it basically the same as a combo. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
The ay the game works now, it shows a fairly basic attack with three main possibilities.

1.) The character blocks effectively, deflecting the blade and forcing the attacker's sword aside, leaving the attacker open for a counter.

2.) The character does a hard block, which leaves the defender open to a follow-up attack (can lead from a clash like this into your combo-kill when you're attacking)

3.) you hit for full damage, and can follow up this attack also.

Are you suggesting to add other possibilities to option 2, which would overcomplicate things, or are you saying to rework the combat system drastically? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 07:47 AM
I don't get it.

Using the 3 points I suggested, what would the extra point you're thinking of result from?

e.g.
1.) happens when guarding
2.) happens when not guarding but facing enemy
3.) happens when attacked from behind or while off-balance.
4.) ???? What would cause this?

Dave616
11-13-2010, 07:52 AM
When you and an enemy attack each other simultaniously, for instance after an enemy blocked you and after that you and the enemy strike simultaniously.

I'm gone now for a while, when I get home again I'll read your reaction and react. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I don't get it.

Using the 3 points I suggested, what would the extra point you're thinking of result from?

e.g.
1.) happens when guarding
2.) happens when not guarding but facing enemy
3.) happens when attacked from behind or while off-balance.
4.) ???? What would cause this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Nice idea, but it might be awkward to time.

Would definitely make combat more difficult, but probably in a less predictable way, which I don't think would be a good thing.

Of course, I'm still hoping they bring back the guard-break move from the first AC, because that would go a long way to balancing the combat system (assuming the AI lives up to claims of near-competence this time around)

F4H bandicoot
11-13-2010, 09:33 AM
I seem to remember my history teacher saying that if swords clash, (so both try and attack and hit each others swords) then the sword would shatter due to the forces, the sharpness of the blades and a few other factors,

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 10:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bandicoot17:
I seem to remember my history teacher saying that if swords clash, (so both try and attack and hit each others swords) then the sword would shatter due to the forces, the sharpness of the blades and a few other factors, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, most swords were designed to clash against armour and other swords in the process of normal use - they were used defensively as well as offensively, remember?

So while it COULD happen if the sword was used for multiple battles without proper maintenance, it wouldn't be likely.

Dave616
11-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I think if the pacing would be high enough,only subtle changes in "rhytme" of the duel, make the timing thing good and allow you to block (and counter) it would be pretty cool.

Nevertheless AC Brotherhood is going to rock.

Thanks for posting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Nice idea, but it might be awkward to time.

Would definitely make combat more difficult, but probably in a less predictable way, which I don't think would be a good thing.

Of course, I'm still hoping they bring back the guard-break move from the first AC, because that would go a long way to balancing the combat system (assuming the AI lives up to claims of near-competence this time around) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 11:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave616:
I think if the pacing would be high enough,only subtle changes in "rhytme" of the duel, make the timing thing good and allow you to block (and counter) it would be pretty cool.

Nevertheless AC Brotherhood is going to rock.

Thanks for posting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sure you can do that anyway, but ok.

Dave616
11-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Nice idea, bring sword maintainance in. With "long lesting" swords. In AC 2 you have to repair your armor, bringing "swords repair" in would still meen you'll only have to push repair all.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bandicoot17:
I seem to remember my history teacher saying that if swords clash, (so both try and attack and hit each others swords) then the sword would shatter due to the forces, the sharpness of the blades and a few other factors, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, most swords were designed to clash against armour and other swords in the process of normal use - they were used defensively as well as offensively, remember?

So while it COULD happen if the sword was used for multiple battles without proper maintenance, it wouldn't be likely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

F4H bandicoot
11-13-2010, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave616:
Nice idea, bring sword maintainance in. With "long lesting" swords. In AC 2 you have to repair your armor, bringing "swords repair" in would still meen you'll only have to push repair all.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

So while it COULD happen if the sword was used for multiple battles without proper maintenance, it wouldn't be likely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
well, ask the weapons guy at warwick castle, thats who it was, just stating what he told our class about weaponary from that age