PDA

View Full Version : multiplay question

bhunter2112
12-06-2004, 03:16 PM
I have started the multiplay setup at hyperfighter. It is working but I have a couple questions as I have not been able to get onto a server yet . I do not know how to change my firewall connection. Is it alright to play with my Norton turned off? anyone else do this?
Why can I not find a version 3.01M all of the servers seem to be the beta version which I do not want to download. Any info would be appreciated. As of yet I have been an offline player. I want to get in the real game!

antifreeze
12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Do not turn your firewall off. Ever. As far as I know, you only need one port open for this game: 21000. It should be very easy to configure your firewall, unless you don't have the manual?

If you don't want to run 3.02m beta, then you are stuck with trying to find someone running the same version as you. It's as simple as that. I love the beta version, and hope the final add-on isn't too different from it.

The add-on is due very soon, so you might want to wait if you really don't want to apply the latest patch. By the way, as I understand it, all the patches so far from 3.00 have been 'beta'. They all contain stuff that Oleg is testing and wants feedback about. Don't be put off that the latest actually has 'beta' in the name.

Korolov
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
As long as you install the beta patch according to the instructions in the readme, you should be fine running it.

If you don't want to install it, then there are still some 3.01m servers out there. The main reason folks are using the 3.02bm version is because of the dedicated server.

Antifreeze has already answered the firewall question - just open up port 21000 and you'll be good to go.

bhunter2112
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will wait for the next big patch. So lets just pretend I am a total computer noob how do you "open port to 21000" Where is this?

antifreeze
12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
So you don't have a manual with your Norton software? I wonder where you bought it? Maybe they should give this support for the product they sold you, since you spent a lot of money and didn't get a manual included? Good job you got a manual when you bought PF!?

Anyway, I don't use any Norton products, and you didn't say which version you have,
but a quick search on Google...
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22configuring+norton%22&sourceid=opera&num=100&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
...reveals a hit that describes letting 'trusted programs' access the internet:
http://www.streamium.com/support/news/nortonfirewall.cfm

Basically your computer has thousands or software 'ports'. For instance, your browser opens about ten ports just to view a webpage. FB/PF uses only one; port 21000. FB/PF would open this port automatically if you didn't have a firewall running. You need to tell the firewall to open it and allow il2fb.exe to send data in and out, but not to let other programs use that port.

By the way, since you asked, port 21000 is between 20999 and 21001. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

crazyivan1970
12-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Bhunter,

Open up Norton Firewall. Go to programs control and authorize il2fb.exe to access internet. That`s it.