PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 and the F6F with bad stall with flat spin.

Blackdog5555
06-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Did the stall characteristics change of the F6F wirh the new patch. any stall now seems to provide a wonderful near unrecoverable flat spin now. I dont remember that 3.4. anybody notice this or is just me. both power on and power off stalls. Its worse that the P39.

I know the remedy is " dont stall".. Cheers

Blackdog5555
06-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Did the stall characteristics change of the F6F wirh the new patch. any stall now seems to provide a wonderful near unrecoverable flat spin now. I dont remember that 3.4. anybody notice this or is just me. both power on and power off stalls. Its worse that the P39.

I know the remedy is " dont stall".. Cheers

VF-29_Sandman
06-14-2005, 07:37 PM
if u think the f6f stalls bad, try the d-27 thunderbolt or the mustangs.

fordfan25
06-14-2005, 09:32 PM
i have not really noticed but im not sayn it aint so. i have just been to busy watching it catch fire every time a Japo piolet throws a ball of rice at it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Blackdog5555
06-15-2005, 12:52 AM
BTW..I love what the devs did with the "late" P38L...but

//I just read the NACA 1945 report on the F6F stall characteristics, with both power on and off. conclusions was that stall was very gentle and easy to recover from. Its very violent now and very difficult to recover from. flat spin city.

2. Also it a full 6.0 sec for a 360 roll. thats 55deg. sec. @ 300mph. same at 350.. sea level & clean. rolls (2 sec) better than the zero but it feels like a B25.

speed seems fine @510kph sea level and 620 at 7000 meters...

but I think handling needs a second look.

3. I agree that they dont take much damage now. Oscar and Lagg and Pe2 are some of the toughest planes. must be stolen US plans.

The p47 and P51 are dream compared to F6F...really its a death trap now,,IMO..Ive never read that "dont stall the wing or you will die" on any F6F forum

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-15-2005, 06:56 AM
The F6F was one of the MOST stable aircraft and simply releasing stick pressure was usually enough to allow it to recover. Corky Meyer has stated it several times and relates other planes' tendencies using the Hellcat as a "control" for comparison. I'm sure it was possible to flat spin in just about anything, but the Hellcat wasn't as prone to it.

My first trip in 4.0 was in a Hellcat against 2 Ki100's in thunderstorm conditions. I didn't have any problems and it actually seemed it was given a slight speed improvement.

Personally, I like it.

TB

ICDP
06-15-2005, 10:39 AM
I flew the F6F-3 in a server yesterday and came off quite well against 109G2's and Spitfires. It took a lot of hits before it would bring it down and seemed VERY tough.

The speed seems the same in v4.00, it is about 10MPH too slow at 20000ft and about 3mph too slow at SL. Other than the speed discrepancy it is modelled very well in PF, it is quite agile but it is better to stay at medium-high speed.

Blackdog5555
06-15-2005, 12:44 PM
I dont mean to nitpick...Im talking about Stall Characteristics. If you get high and fast and dont stall the wing it flies excellant. I do very well in my QMB if i just stay fast and dont turn more than 90 degrees. Oleg's team gave you pretty good warning when you have exceeded your OAO with loud wind sounds. The flight model is very good in all other respects. You will never notice its stall charactteristics if you dont stall it. Really, If you want to comment you should do a STALL test first. I just noticed it when i was T&B with some Oscars I exceeded maximum OAO and went into an unrecoverable flat spin x2. Flat spinning in a STALL is not one of the F6Fs bad traits is all im saying...but who cares. Coffee time..
BTW:I love the new patch!

Equilizer
06-15-2005, 12:47 PM
If you were TnBing with Oscars (Why in the first place? The Oscar will eat up a F6F in a TnB fight), you were more than likely hamfisting the stick.

Blackdog5555
06-15-2005, 01:16 PM
My new request is now please; DONT DO A STALL TEST in the F6F. Dont even learn what a stall is. Just fly the F6F fast in a straight line and tell me how perfectly it doesnt stall. lol..Actually my new claim is the the F6F stalls perfect. a perfect, zero torque, no adverse yaw, gentle stall in both power on and power off. Super easy recovery. DONT CHECK FOR YOURSELF. just believe me, its perfect. LOL.. You guys crack me up. cheers.

Blackdog5555
06-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Never mind; in 4.01m stall characteristics are not that bad.

VW-IceFire
06-15-2005, 03:10 PM
And here I was, flying 4.0....loving the Hellcat quite a bit and wondering when people would be posting on how much better it was...

*shrug*