PDA

View Full Version : custom map

Codger1949
07-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi. Is there a tutorial on how to make a custom map that can be used as a dogfight mission in the integrated server function of PF+FB+AEP. I see these dogfight missions on HL which have some unusual features such as really weird bulding, objects lining, blocking the runways, dusk and dawn, even an aircraft carrier sitting on top of a moutain like Noah's Ark. How on earth is this type of map, mission created? Thanks for any guidance.

Codger1949
07-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi. Is there a tutorial on how to make a custom map that can be used as a dogfight mission in the integrated server function of PF+FB+AEP. I see these dogfight missions on HL which have some unusual features such as really weird bulding, objects lining, blocking the runways, dusk and dawn, even an aircraft carrier sitting on top of a moutain like Noah's Ark. How on earth is this type of map, mission created? Thanks for any guidance.

Crash_Moses
07-28-2006, 08:22 AM
You should be able to find everything you need right here...

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm#008

S!

Codger1949
07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks Crash. That about covers it. Maybe you can answer this as well. What's the advantage of running a dedi server over a HL hosted server or the integrated server in the actual game?

Aviar
07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
A 'dedi server' and a 'HL hosted server' are not necessarily exclusive. Many hosts in HL ARE running on a dedicated server. There really is no such thing as a 'HL hosted server', as you put it. You can either host through a dedicated server or the in-game server (or as you called it...'the integrated server'.)

I think your idea on how HL functions is a little bit off. It doesn't really do any 'hosting'. It's more of a 'matching' service. The primary player\dedicated server does the actual hosting.

The main benefit to running a dedicated server is better overall performance, since it uses less resources compared to hosting through the game itself.

Aviar

Crash_Moses
07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Right. A dedicated server allots all of its resources to hosting the game while the integrated multi-player has to manage the multiplayer aspect as well as CPU and GPU resources required by the flight sim itself (or whatever else you happen to be working on at the moment).

Hyperlobby is just a convenient way to connect players with servers. If you happen to know the IP address of a particular server you can still connect regardless of whether it's on Hyperlobby.

S!

Codger1949
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviar:
A 'dedi server' and a 'HL hosted server' are not necessarily exclusive. Many hosts in HL ARE running on a dedicated server. There really is no such thing as a 'HL hosted server', as you put it. You can either host through a dedicated server or the in-game server (or as you called it...'the integrated server'.)

I think your idea on how HL functions is a little bit off. It doesn't really do any 'hosting'. It's more of a 'matching' service. The primary player\dedicated server does the actual hosting.

The main benefit to running a dedicated server is better overall performance, since it uses less resources compared to hosting through the game itself.

Aviar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think I get your drift. HL is..., and correct me if I'm wrong,--- a game "TRACKER", no?

So damn many concepts and so few brain cells, on my part, to keep grasp 'em all. But, I need more elucidatin', so to speak. You say that running a dedi uses less resources. But if you're running the dedi and attempt to also join multiplayer on said dedi wouldn't you be using just as much horsepower as if you set up an ingame server and played on the server. I haven't tried either, yet. But I do recall doing so in other games AND experts said the same as you about the efficiency of running a dedi instead of an "ingame". I just never understood why? When I play this game I shut down all nonessential processes and programs with "Enditall". I would use that utility if I hosted a server, whether it be "ingame" or a dedi. So, wouldn't the end game be the same, in the case of resource use?

To be honest, the reason I pose these questions is because I'm kinda trying to avoid setting up a dedi because, from what I've read, it sounds like a major pain in the arse to get one to work http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif .

dbillo
07-28-2006, 06:09 PM
If you only have one computer, and you want to host a game, and also fly at the same time, then I'd say you're probably better off using the ingame integrated server, rather than running a dedicated server and a separate FB+AEP+PF to play on the same computer.

The dedicated server is intended to be run by itself on a separate computer from the one you would use to play on. If your computer was powerful enough to run both, then in theory it would work, but they will be competing for resources.

It depends what you intend to do. Do you want to play and host on the same machine, or do you intend to leave a server running for other people to join, but not play yourself?

Codger1949
07-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Well, whether I created a dedi or just hosted an in game I would like to join because I am going to attempt to create a mission that meets all the conditions that I particularly enjoy. For instance I like the simple dogfight and I think the best way to get the most action in the quickest time is to have airstarts with map icons. I'm also going to permit vulching. I'm going to toss in a bunch of ground objects for escape and evasion.

So,for such simple gaming I think the ingame server should be adequate. A dedi server for this game appears to be a complicated endeavor, indeed. Of course if I create this level and nobody joins it's all a moot point anyway.

Tully__
07-30-2006, 09:39 AM
I think a touch more clarification is in order. When people say "Dedicated server" they're referring to a different application to the game. It performs the same function as the in game integrated server but doesn't include the graphics handling or player interface. If you're using the dedicated server software you can't play using that software, the player function doesn't exist unless you join the server from another computer using the standard game installation.

If you're interested in the dedicated server software it's free and can be downloaded from 3DGamers or Checksix IIRC.

dbillo
07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Yes, thanks for the additional clarification, Tully! So, Codger, if, as you say, you want to play as well as host on the same machine, then try it with the integrated server.

If you were to use the dedicated server, then, as Tully explained, you'd have to also run a separate game to play on. It's possible to run the DS and a separate game for play on the same machine, and join the DS to play, but, as I suggested, the two programs would be competing for the same resources. The ideal way to do that would be to run the DS alone on one machine, and run the game for play on another machine.

I think the decision to use the dedicated server rather than the integrated server has little to do with the mission being run, and more to do with the fact that the dedicated server can be run on less powerful machines and without requiring high powered graphics cards.

One other point which might apply to you, is that the dedicated server can only run dogfight missions, not coops. If you have any intentions of hosting coop missions, then you'll have to use the integrated server.

Codger1949
07-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Now it's clear to me which way to set this up.

Codger1949
07-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Ok, which is the best and easiest server to install and to use. Server Commander (which is the one I see a lot of folks using when I play on HL.)or the one on Ubi? I'm not sure which one on Ubi.com to use. I have 4.04 and 4.05 on my machine. But the dedi server on UBI says that it is for 4.04 only, if I'm understanding the info. correctly.

Codger1949
07-31-2006, 05:07 AM
The deeper I get into this the more questions come to mind. Just for grins I downloaded the 4.04 merged dedicated server from Ubi. I installed it but now I have no idea how it works. It has no documentation. I did a google search for documentation and found nothing. I clicked on the exe and nothing happened. Something flashed on screen but beyond that, nothing.

The more I think about it, the dedicated server seems to be the way to go. I've got two machines on a router.

Tully__
07-31-2006, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codger1949:
The deeper I get into this the more questions come to mind. Just for grins I downloaded the 4.04 merged dedicated server from Ubi. I installed it but now I have no idea how it works. It has no documentation. I did a google search for documentation and found nothing. I clicked on the exe and nothing happened. Something flashed on screen but beyond that, nothing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 4.04 dedicated server file link for Ubi.com is a patch from a previous version of the ded server. You'll need quite a few more files than that.

For a list of files: Patch order entire game series (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4721047273?r=4721047273#4721047273) includes a list of files needed up to v4.04/v4.04m for dedicated server. You can get them @ 3DGamers or from http://ftp.ubi.com/us/games/pacific_fighters/dedicated_servers/

For setup and running instructions, see: Dedicated Server - Easy Setup guide (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=692106434)

dbillo
07-31-2006, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codger1949:
Ok, which is the best and easiest server to install and to use. Server Commander ...or the one on Ubi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Server Commander isn't a server. Follow Tully's directions to get straightened around about the Dedicated Server.

IL2 Server Commander is a daemon. It's a separate program that runs in conjunction with the server. It monitors the operation of the server, keeps track of who joins, what targets they are hitting, and automatically loads a new map when the predetermined target goals are achieved. (also known as "scripting") Another daemon that's used is FBDaemon.

Once you get your Dedicated Server installed, patched, and running, you'll probably want to look into one of these daemons to "script" your server.