PDA

View Full Version : I know the price of gas is expensive but this is rediculous!!!

Ryo-oh
05-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with the first SHIII campaign I'm playing.

In a Type IIA I'm sent to the coast of Scotland (AN26 or thereabouts) to patrol, and even if I make a direct beeline there and spend the one required day patrolling and make a direct line for home (Wilhemshaven) I don't get back more than halfway across the North Sea before I run out of fuel!

Oddly enough, when I'm empty, I can ESC to the menu, and end the patrol by selecting the go back to port option. The patrol ends as a successful one (tonnage sunk and all) except that there are medals that I can't give out because I have to "complete a patrol" before I can give it away.

I always cruise on "standard," figuring that full speed will use up the fuel faster.

I remember an incident in SH 1 where I burned up all my fuel trying to chase down a convoy that I couldn't catch because I didn't realise there were heavy seas, even at full speed I was barely making headway. If this is the case and I'm not seeing it happen on time acceleration, then that's fine how-you-do as it always seems the North Sea is choppy!

Is this a case of monitor the game minute by minute, or run out of gas?

I also thought that it might have to do with the fuel efficiency in the engine room. No matter what crew I assign I'll never get the green bar-gauge more than half way across.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Joe

Ryo-oh
05-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with the first SHIII campaign I'm playing.

In a Type IIA I'm sent to the coast of Scotland (AN26 or thereabouts) to patrol, and even if I make a direct beeline there and spend the one required day patrolling and make a direct line for home (Wilhemshaven) I don't get back more than halfway across the North Sea before I run out of fuel!

Oddly enough, when I'm empty, I can ESC to the menu, and end the patrol by selecting the go back to port option. The patrol ends as a successful one (tonnage sunk and all) except that there are medals that I can't give out because I have to "complete a patrol" before I can give it away.

I always cruise on "standard," figuring that full speed will use up the fuel faster.

I remember an incident in SH 1 where I burned up all my fuel trying to chase down a convoy that I couldn't catch because I didn't realise there were heavy seas, even at full speed I was barely making headway. If this is the case and I'm not seeing it happen on time acceleration, then that's fine how-you-do as it always seems the North Sea is choppy!

Is this a case of monitor the game minute by minute, or run out of gas?

I also thought that it might have to do with the fuel efficiency in the engine room. No matter what crew I assign I'll never get the green bar-gauge more than half way across.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Joe

Aragorn87
05-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Try crusing at head 1/3 or slow

Praetorian_Elite
05-07-2005, 11:42 PM
yes, cruise at 1/3 or slow speed. It will take a long time but you will have lot's of fuel to patrol and such.

You also get more points for actually making it back to port and docking then if you just click on the return to base option.

ARM505
05-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Ask your NAVO for 'Range at current speed', and try it at different speed settings.

LW_August
05-08-2005, 12:27 AM
To award the u-boat combat medal click just to the lower right of the medal icon to get past that "Must complete a patrol first" message.

Hyper_Fish
05-08-2005, 01:40 AM
To get that green bar higher, enlist an officer with the cogwheel ability before the mission. He's your engineering mogul, and will keep those diesels purring. A few other normal crew will help too.

Budokan
05-08-2005, 11:03 AM
The type IIA boats are a real devil when it comes to reaching your patrol area and not having much time to actually patrol because of their limited fuel. When I had enough renown I got a IID, and it's a lot better as far as fuel capacity goes....

Having said that, I really like those little einbaums because they tax your ability...five torps and you've got to make every one of 'em count.

UF_Excalibur_D
05-09-2005, 09:34 AM
I am currently on the way back to Kiel...my second patrol. To stretch my fuel out I run ahead standard surfaced at night and ahead 1/3 submerged during the day. It stretches out the fuel quite abit. Im almost back from my second patrol and havent ran out of fuel yet.

russian_crazy
05-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Check here, that will explain much. Few weeks ago I had same problems.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/1721093013/r/5421055013#5421055013

and for convoys:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/5541068703/r/9181019703#9181019703