PDA

View Full Version : What to do with tax return money...X45 or X52?

EAGLE_34_WO
02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
So I got my TR money back and want to replace this microsft sidewonder I've had for 6 yrs+! Is there any major difference between the 45 and 52? Is it worth the money to get the 52? Any replies from those who have one or the other would be a great help. Thanks!

EAGLE_34_WO
02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
So I got my TR money back and want to replace this microsft sidewonder I've had for 6 yrs+! Is there any major difference between the 45 and 52? Is it worth the money to get the 52? Any replies from those who have one or the other would be a great help. Thanks!

flyingscampi
02-11-2005, 08:47 AM
CH Products Fighterstick, pro pedals and throttle if you're feeling rather flush http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-11-2005, 08:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyingscampi:
CH Products Fighterstick, pro pedals and throttle if you're feeling rather flush http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. even though you're still looking at 3x the cash for the CH stuff, you will NEVER need to purchase controllers again.

A cheaper yet almost equally effective alternative would be to get the Fighterstick and Pro Pedals. The fighterstick has 3 modes and more than enough options for what you'll need and you can always add the Pro Throttle later if you so choose.

Also, do you have TIR? If not then I'd say go here: http://www.magnum-pc.com and get the TIR vector expansion pack. It includes a TrackHat and will enhance your aging MSSW joystick beyond belief while freeing up the hatswitch for other functions.

TB

EAGLE_34_WO
02-11-2005, 09:03 AM
I already have the trakir2 and love it! I will look into the CH products though!

Wilburnator
02-11-2005, 09:07 AM
The CH stuff is the best. I've had the Pro Pedals since shortly after IL2 came out and they work like new. I just recently bailed on the X52 when the stick started to develope an ever increasing dead zone, mostly on the left side, making aiming nearly impossible. I got a CH Fighterstick from a retailer I got off the CH website, I ordered it overnight at 4:00 pm one day and recieved it at 10:00 am the next, lol. The place is called Headsets, Etc. and they will save you about $40.00 per unit over buying direct from CH. They sell the whole deal, stick, pedals, and throttle for $325.00. Expensive, but still it's $125.00 cheaper than buying direct, and it's sooooo nice.

http://www.headsetsetc.com/flightsimgear.html

Udidtoo
02-11-2005, 09:10 AM
I went to a X-45 from a MSFFB II a little over a year ago and have never regretted. At 1st I missed the FFB but in short order I began to realize how badly worn my old stick was.

Like the others said if money isn't a concern CH products are tough to beat but if your on a smaller budget. I can't comment much about the 52 accept to say after getting used to pedals I wouldn't want that manner of working the rudder again as I always felt really ackward with the twist rudders.

Another + of the X-45 is you can switch on the fly between 3 different modes which allows you to map almost every key stroke in the simm to your Hotas. Tully or Adlabs have good profiles to use in their siggs or to use as a guide like a how to as the config can be a bit daunting at 1st.

Wilburnator
02-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I did like the X52, until it started cr*pping out on me after only a few weeks. I opted not to give it another try after going through several buy/replace under warranty cycles with a Logitech Wingman. No matter how many times a company replaces something free, it's annoying to have to keep doing it. BTW for people who don't like twisty rudders and have an alternate method of controlling yaw, the X52 does have a lock on the twist mechanism. Not to bash Saitek too hard... I loved my X36. It just got tired after so much use.

I forgot to mention earlier, there's a nice little feature that the CH software has. You can map all your CH controllers to be seen by windows as a single joystick, a nice thing for games that don't support multiple controllers. And the Fighterstick also has a mode switch w/ 3 modes. No shortage of commands at your disposal.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I have the X52 and love it. I have read alot about deadzone issues but I dont experience these. A recommendation I need to make tho is set all your input levelers to 100% or the stick feels like ****. The features on this stick are almost limitless.

Bluntage
02-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I, too, had been considering the X52 until I read about all the problems and such. I am still stickless as of now and am planning on getting something this weekend. My eyes have been set on the Evo, but with all this CH talk I am starting to reconsider. Would a Fighterstick and a set of Pro Pedals really improve the immersion? Also, would I be able to use that setup adequately in games like Battlefield?

I have always used twist rudder until I had the X45 (I hated the rudder rocker AND the stick), would pedals improve my rudder usage and be relatively painless to learn?

-HH- Beebop
02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
A lot of people like to bash the X series of Saitek products but not me. I started out with a Saitek X-35-7 4 button/3 axis stick (which still works btw) and graduated to the X-45. And I love it!
CH products are excellent as are Cougers. But if money is the issue, my vote is Saitek. The only question you need to ask yourself is, twist rudder or not? If not, X-45's are going down a bit in price and a set of CH pedals will get you immersed totaly.
On another note, if the Sidewinder is still working OK (is it a Force Feedback stick?) you might consider what many others have done, using the Sidewinder joystick and the "X" throttle quadrant.

buglord
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Today my x52 got delivered & ive only tried it a couple of times it feels so much better than my old stick so far i really like it so if youve got the cash go for a x52 m8. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Bluntage,

The immersion would be increased mostly because of the precision and carefree nature of the CH controllers. There is very little (if any) adjustment, tweaking or modifications necessary to achieve the highlevel of control most users desire. Add to that that you'll likely never want or need to buy another setup for literally years. Then as you become used to them without having to think, your brain automatically picks up other things. Not to say this can't or wouldn't happen with other setups, but I've used everything out there and always come back to CH.

My .02

TB

Bluntage
02-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, Thunderbolt! I may hold off on buying an Evo tonight and give this some more thought. I don't think anyone in my area actually has CH gear so I'd be hitting up Newegg.com - their prices look good!

EAGLE_34_WO
02-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I went to CHproducts.com. I'm sure it's a very good stick but I don't think I'm willing to pay 111.00 US dollars for the stick. Then another 111.00 US dollars for the throttle! It's not that I don't have the money, but I just have a problem spending that kindof money on a JS. I was at my buds house and flew with the X45 tonight for abit. I absolutely sucked **** with it. It was loosened as much as possible and the stick was still very tight in the middle. Once I pulled back a little farther it flew like a dream. After flying with it for about 10min's I just wanted my old MS sidewinder back lol. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now lol.

Bluntage
02-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Eagle_34_WO,

I went from a Sidewinder to an X45 and felt the same way. I played as long as I could stand to with that stick till I just got fed up, sold it, and quit playing IL2 (plus, to be honest, I got sidetracked by HL2 and World of Warcraft). I think the CH equipment looks top notch, but I really DON'T have the dinero for it so I am gonna get the Evo afterall.

Tully__
02-11-2005, 09:36 PM
X-45 and X-52 feel quite different. Go for the CH gear if you can afford it, it will last longer by all accounts I've heard. If you can't afford CH, try to get a test flight on both the X-45 and X-52.

Bearcat99
02-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Another option..... get the X45.... CH Pedals... and a Saitek EVO FFB stick.... IMO FFB puts a whole different slant on flying in this sim. FB will support up to 3 joysticks.... I use a MSFFB2/X45/CHPedal/TIR2/VAC setup and I am in immersionville..... online or offline.... I use he FFB stick for all flight surfaces and weps.... the X45 stick is strictly a button bay and the throttle I use for throttle and some views and a few other things.... I use every key command in the sim.. and with the addition of VAC I can now talk to the AI.... The FFB gives my fluid flight control feedback.. I dont use the gunshake.

CH is good... but if you would have a hard time justifying the expense just get and X45 with a product replacement plan from Best Buy and the pedals...

Indianer.
02-12-2005, 01:58 AM
I have X45 throttle

M$ sidewinder stick...i use X45 stick to stick my chewing gum to.

M$ sidewinder Racing pedals...yes really!!

TIR

Like bearcat i would use VAC but i'm far to lazy to set it up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sithgod
02-12-2005, 05:08 AM
My wife bought me a X52 and its the best stick I have ever had. The tension is a little light when compared to my old Logictech wingman force stick which was a total piece of crud. I will never buy Logitech again. As I got used to the X52 the lighter tension didn't bother me and I have been able to pull off some deflection shots which I never got with the Logitech.

The lights are really neat but pointless. The stick can be physiclly adjusted to suit your hand size and thats a very cool feature. THe throttles tension can be adjusted to how tight you want it. Overall I think its an amazing stick.

Chuck_Older
02-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Royal Brackla, 19 year old Single Malt, $85 dollars US. That's just one man's opinion

EAGLE_34_WO
02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Bearcat, if you have a X45, is your stick pretty tight in the center. The 45 I flew with for abit seemed that way, but was very loose when I would get outside of that center area.

Bearcat99
02-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I only use my X45 stick as a button bay and a lever for my landing gear...... I fly with my MSFFB2....

Bluntage
02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks Bearcat and Thunderbolt for your opinions and such. I bought the Evo Force today, I'll let you know how it pans out. If all goes well, I will add some pedals in the next couple of months!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lukki
02-13-2005, 11:03 AM
I have the X45, it feels "sticky" and it is not easy to aim with. The awkward button placement makes me push the hat switch when I reach for certain buttons. But still it's better than my old, near broken and many times fixed logitech 3d wingman something extremely digital.

The X45 feels tougher than logitech ****, but not tough enough. It can break. I wouldn't go for X45 now. I received it is a present. Far from my dream setup really.

I would prefer simple controls. A long, smooth stick from the floor with 4-6 buttons and a hat. Pedals would be integrated in the joystick base and I would be able to move the pedals as far bask as necessary. A throttle with 3 sliders and 3 buttons. Keyboard close at hand and TIR to follow the target. Can't stress TIR enough. I feel completely owned in no externals servers. And when I ask if they have TIR, I get a yes. Sounds like I everyone has it. I always lose my target and clumsily attempt to look around with a hat or mouse. TIR sounds like ownage and it probably is. This game is really all about equipment, so I' mnot sure if I should play such an expensive game. Me being all poor and stuff... :/

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Your right about TIR being ownage. It's the best investment I've made for the 2 flightsims I have(lockon nad IL-2). I can't stress enough how much easier it makes it to get a grasp of your surroundings. I flew at a buddies house the other day testing out his X45 and couldn't stop moving my head to look around. I Just felt somewhat crippled not having the TIR.

han freak solo
02-13-2005, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EAGLE_34_WO:
Thanks for the replies guys! I went to CHproducts.com. I'm sure it's a very good stick but I don't think I'm willing to pay 111.00 US dollars for the stick. Then another 111.00 US dollars for the throttle! It's not that I don't have the money, but I just have a problem spending that kindof money on a JS. I was at my buds house and flew with the X45 tonight for abit. I absolutely sucked **** with it. It was loosened as much as possible and the stick was still very tight in the middle. Once I pulled back a little farther it flew like a dream. After flying with it for about 10min's I just wanted my old MS sidewinder back lol. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now lol. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to your local gun dealer and by an old fashioned style side by side double barrel shotgun. Get some ammo and go skeet or trap shooting at the range.

Great for practice shooting (leading your target ala IL2) and a great stress reliever (as long as you hit some targets). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

They are, affordable as little $300 - $400 USD now, and last much longer than any joystick.