PDA

View Full Version : Real periscope - easier ?

Lengro
03-30-2005, 01:49 AM
When measuring distance with a real periscope you stack two images of the target on top of each other - so waterline of one image matches the mast of another image:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostsub/torpfire.html

In SH3 we have to adjust two lines to do the same measure, but at full realism it can be hard when the target moves up and down in the periscope (using mouse and arrow keys at the same time helps a little)

But in real life I guess it is easier as the distance between the two images should be constant, no matter how the u-boat moves ?

[UPDATE : ] ... and therefore the angle can be read from the scale of the knob (stadiometer?)you turn, instead of angle marks in the periscope ?

RocketDog
03-30-2005, 03:06 AM
The site you link describes the procedure using the scope on a US vessel. There are many different ways the optics might be configured, so it's not clear to me that the U-boats would use the same method. Given the attention to detail in SH3, it would not surprise me to find that the real system used the variable lines that we have in the game. Does anybody know for certain?

Regards,

RocketDog.

Redwine
03-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Stadimeter was requested to the team from the early days in this forum, in some response they affirm they do not found any information about german periscopes has stadimeters......

We post here plans of german periscopes with stadimeter...... but no way.

Any way the Team give us an alternative method wich is usefull....... and take about the same time as real one.

In real one you move the second image to make the waterline of one in coincidence with the top of the mas of the second one, and read the angle in a dial at side of periscope.

In game feature is very similar..........

Lost_Lamb
03-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Read Trout_007's post in the following thread;

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=2791021003

He has a neat trick that might make things easier. Haven't tried it in rough seas yet but it looks like it's the go.

Lengro
03-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Redwine, do you have a link to some good information about stadimeters in german u-boats?

I still think real life sounds easier due to the elimination of the u-boats motion.

Thanks.