PDA

View Full Version : Finding the right plane...

SpitfireSeafire
02-10-2005, 11:44 PM
I have had this unbelieveable game for probably about 2 weeks. Within that time I have done a fair bit of playing, but I have not been able to find a plane that I really, let's say, connect with. As in, really fly well in it and absolutely love flying it over all other planes, but while trying to keep its performance characteristics up. I have had brief runs at the La-7, Yak9U, Ki-84-1,a,b,c, the Bf 109k-4 and especially the P-38. All I have managed to find something I don't like about them. I have had some interest in the Yak3 (or the 3m variant but I don't know the difference) and also the P-40. But I have ruled these out due to slower top speeds.

I am just wondering if my standards are too high. I try to keep the top speed of aircraft I am looking at, at approx 575+. Also the little bit of spray/pray tendencies lead me to rule out planes due to lower ammo counts. I am just wondering if there are any recommended performance characteristics to stay above when looking for an aircraft, but also, I would like to know how some of you came across the planes you currently fly.

SpitfireSeafire
02-10-2005, 11:44 PM
I have had this unbelieveable game for probably about 2 weeks. Within that time I have done a fair bit of playing, but I have not been able to find a plane that I really, let's say, connect with. As in, really fly well in it and absolutely love flying it over all other planes, but while trying to keep its performance characteristics up. I have had brief runs at the La-7, Yak9U, Ki-84-1,a,b,c, the Bf 109k-4 and especially the P-38. All I have managed to find something I don't like about them. I have had some interest in the Yak3 (or the 3m variant but I don't know the difference) and also the P-40. But I have ruled these out due to slower top speeds.

I am just wondering if my standards are too high. I try to keep the top speed of aircraft I am looking at, at approx 575+. Also the little bit of spray/pray tendencies lead me to rule out planes due to lower ammo counts. I am just wondering if there are any recommended performance characteristics to stay above when looking for an aircraft, but also, I would like to know how some of you came across the planes you currently fly.

Cajun76
02-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Sounds like you have IL2 FB Gold w/ the Ace Expansion.

For fast planes with lots of ammo, I'd recommend P-47, Fw-190A, P-51 and P-63.

Try everything though. It takes patience and practice to become proficient. Enjoy!

LEXX_Luthor
02-11-2005, 12:09 AM
At least at high altitude, Ta~152 is the fastest prop plane in the game, if that is what you are looking for.

If you can "settle" for just speed advantage, Bf~109F and MiG~3 are very fast for 1941 compared to opponents. If you are onwhine player, you can find early war plane servers, just ask around, and it seems they have *alot* more Fun. But you may need to get PF because most have moved to FB+PF combined.

msalama
02-11-2005, 03:29 AM
My $000.2 - and that's all it is really, since I'm a total noobi too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I fly the Yak-3P. (Some of) my impressions so far:

+ Lovely flying characteristics. Stalls are a breeze, and even spins are easily recoverable to a point. Very easy to dead-stick in an emergency.
+ Light, fast, agile and manouverable. Turns on a dime, even without combat flaps. Good roll rate.
+ Simple & easy-to-understand cockpit. Gauges are very readable.
+ Excellent visibility all around.

- The (mostly) wooden airframe is very fragile. You're toothpick material if a Dora gets to your near 6 with those humoungous guns of her.
- Very lo-tek. Everything - blowers, mixture, prop pitch etc. - is non-automatic.
- The ammo load is smallish (though not as small as in the original Yak-3).
- The prop governor mechanism is flimsy. One lucky hit & that's your prop feathered.

But what do I know? Been flying this baby (and this simulator) for 2-3 weeks now myself...

PBNA-Boosher
02-11-2005, 05:08 AM
I prefer the Early Yaks, all P-40's, and if necessary the P-38. I do go with the 47 from time to time, but only on ground pounding missions, really. The Early Yaks, especially planes like the 1 and 1b, can deal heavy damage to german planes if the pilot is stupid enough to get into a dogfight.

tigertalon
02-11-2005, 05:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpitfireSeafire:

I am just wondering if my standards are too high. I try to keep the top speed of aircraft I am looking at, at approx 575+. Also the little bit of spray/pray tendencies lead me to rule out planes due to lower ammo counts. I am just wondering if there are any recommended performance characteristics to stay above when looking for an aircraft, but also, I would like to know how some of you came across the planes you currently fly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, SpitfireSeafire

Well, whenever you pick a plane, you have to know what purpose was it build for. Germans for example were build for boom and zoom, russians and british for turn and burn... So, if you fly for example Fw190, do not try to turn with opponent, try to fight vertically, not horisontaly.

I personally prefer boom and zoom and fly Fw190D9. When I first tried it, it seemed like a flying disaster to me. Well, grounded disaster, I couldn't even take off! But I tried and tried and I learned a few basic rules about it:

Always be fast! it is one of the fastest planes in the sim! It can outpace almost everything else (but the jets). When fast, you can also outturn anything else, even Yak3 or spitfire, try it for yourself. But your speed has to be well over 400kph, better 500. Speed is life for D9, a (s)low D9 is a dead D9, so always be fast and/or high...

Whenever in doubt, climb. Fw190D9 was not the best climber around in 1944-45 and it is of a great importance for D9 to start the fight at atleast equal E-level. Whenever climbing with a bogey on your tail, climb at high speeds.

It has plenty of ammo. 950 13mm rounds for Mg131 machineguns in cowling, 500 20mm cannon shells for Mg151/20 cannons mounted in wing roots. So do not regret spraying around. Online I mostly fly with 50% of fuel, and I usualy sooner run out of fuel than ammo.

Russian planes are good opponents down low (especially La7), but once you get them above 3000 m, they will stay breathless. Yaks and Las are dead meat up there, so try to drag them up. Well, D9 WAS a high alt fighter... SpitIXeHF is a different story tough... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you are already familiar with, it is advisable to use manual prop pitch, it will add a bit to your performance.

Nevertheless, there are some things that my bother you with Fw190s: Whenever you are hit, you are most likely dead. A single hit to wing, and you will barely be able to control your bird, let alone do some fancy b&z stuff... Your speed will also degrade by some 40kph after a single 20mm hit in a wing... A single hit to fuel tanks, all your fuel will be gone... Forward view from Fw190s is not correct (not a whine, I know it will not get fixed, and I am also sure about what the problem is). All those things make it even more challenging for me to fly, as I have to fly so precisely, that enemy never gets a chance to fire towards me.

But remember, to master D9, you have to train train train train... You will loose a lot, you will be in a mood to switch the plane. But once you master it, it is a killer.

Oh, yes, and fly 44 Dora, not 45. 44 is better.

SpitfireSeafire
02-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks, but what is a Dora? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Also, I have read many a couple of tutorials on the subjects but can someone just give me the jist of what prop.pitch and fuel mixture settings do? Things like magneto, and supercharger would be lovely too.

O, and, is there any way to efficiently put out fires? Especially fuel take fires. Besides fire estinguisher for some engine fires.

Another thing, what is the difference between the Yak 3 and the Yak3P?

Chuck_Older
02-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Dora is what the Germans called the Focke-Wulf 190D-9. Dora, or Dora-nine. It's the 'long-nosed' FW190

"Emil" is the Bf-109E
"Freidrich" is the Bf-109F
"Gustav" is the Bf-109G

I forget what the K model was...probably Karl

Do you play the game online, offline, or both?

My recommendation is the La-5fn. Absolute doll of an airplane

3.JG51_BigBear
02-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I think the K was kurfurst (or something close to that) but I've also heard Konrad.

I like the P-51B/C myself. They're fast and when used properly are truly exceptional fighters. I didn't really fly them that much when AEP came out so I don't really remember what they're like in that version of the game, but after their FM has been tweaked in the last few patches they are flying fairly realistically in my opinion but when flown properly are still very nice mounts.

JG53Frankyboy
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
LOL !

you want speed, lethal punch, lot of ammo
----------&gt; Me 262 !

and if you complaing " cant find it at onlinbe servers" - you will also not find for example La7s on early war servers !

every time, every scenario, every battle has its own planes - there is not THE plane.

and the differnce betwenn a Yak3 and a Yak3P is the armament. the later has 3x20mm canons , the first 1x20mm and 2x12,7mm weapons

SpitfireSeafire
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
I am flying offline for now, and am just trying to find an airplane I really like. Once I am slightly decent I will try my hand at online.

JG53Frankyboy
02-11-2005, 06:57 PM
well, use Go-229

fast , **** fast, if you let it run.
120rpg in its MK103 30mm canons !

nevertheless , one of the best all around planes is the "La7 BR-20" in the piston engine category. and im thinking you will not fly very often much above 6000m.
ore something more strange - the Ta152H-1.

and if you would have PFm , im sure you would give the F4U-1C a try - 240rpg in 20mm cannons (4 of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

MystiqBlackCat
02-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Messerschmitt Bf109K, K for Karl ladies and gentlemen. Just looked it up and wanted to clear up that issue. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Indianer.
02-12-2005, 01:42 AM
OK OK

This advice will put u on the path to being a WW2 sim Ace

P40......

Climb high (&gt;3000m).....

Find target....

dive on aforementioned target......

use dive to get speed...

use p40 high roll rate and manouverability to get behind and stay with almost any enemy....

spray with small bursts 50 cal mgs then climb.

If ur enemy does mot smoke badly or fall apart u can be pretty sure that he wont get home.

U can keep chasing him around if you want to see him smash into the ground but beware of low speed turn fight as u will fall out of sky like a stone.

Also those bright red tracers will attract every axis pilot on the eastern front so get in quick...shoot..get out...climb repeat.

I am a mediocre pilot to say the least bet i have shot down 3 109s and and an A series 190 in one online sortie using this method.

Try this online as it is easier than doing it with in single player with 15 109s chasing u.

oh yeah i forgot...all the axis boys will try to convince you to fly their boom and zoom birds but as a newb (no offence) a speedy turnfight way is easier IMHO http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif as when u get behind ur first enemy online everything u have been told will be replaced by a mad stare and a strange throbbing in ur head which will see u emptying every single last bullet into ur enemy, finishing off either ramming him or following him into the ground , also machine guns are a lot easier to hit the target with than cannons.

dieg777
02-12-2005, 01:53 AM
with your sig what is wrong with spitfire ? It is probably the best balanced plane in the game - easy to fly and to fight with- might not be the master of all but an excellent plane to get started with- the earlier marks are better turners - the mid a good balance and the latter marks are more about power so balance more to the dive and zoom tactics.

Dolemite-
02-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Its Kurfurst. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

BaldieJr
02-12-2005, 01:58 AM
You might be one of us rare "krap-planers".

Try out the I-153P. Its out-classed by almost every plane in the game, but it can win, If you fly it right.

I cant fly the monowing fighters. They just feel too heavy and mushy. I much prefer the zippy controls of the I-153.

NORAD_Zooly10
02-12-2005, 03:09 AM
how about the A6M5? decent speed, good turnfighter (as long as you keep the speed down because it loses its turning prowess at higher speeds), downside? dont get hit...ever http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif
~S~
Zooly
(no longer NORAD_Zooly)

PBNA-Boosher
02-12-2005, 06:34 AM
My best sortie in a P-40 happened during a practice session with the TX squadron. I was flying against Fish in a P-40C and he was in a 190D. I used my plane's superior maneuvering abilities to stay on his six and my MG's to rip his plane apart. My second best sortie in a P-40 I got 2 Bf-109's, 1 Bf-110, and damaged a Fw-190A-6 so badly it had to belly land. Then I landed back at base.

Saburo_0
02-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you want high speed & lots of ammo, so I'd say P-51 or Fw190D-9.

La 5FN & La-7 are also very good, & the two nose mounted 20mm cannon are powereful & easy to hit with. Best armament in the game IMHO.

The wing mounted guns of the P-51 are a bit different & you have to get used to them.

Oh & yes the P-63 might be to your liking as well. (forgot about that one.)