PDA

View Full Version : Re: Non existent rudder control on take off.

MaccaRoony
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe I'm not pressing the right buttons but a lot of my aircraft have ended up with their noses in the dirt because I can't get the rudder to work on take off. I can't keep the plane straight. I thought the keys were Z and X for left and right respectively. Any help?

MaccaRoony
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe I'm not pressing the right buttons but a lot of my aircraft have ended up with their noses in the dirt because I can't get the rudder to work on take off. I can't keep the plane straight. I thought the keys were Z and X for left and right respectively. Any help?

DoKtoR_TapeWorM
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I dont know the keys for rudder, but if your not sure go into your controls and check there assignment, or better yet at the very least get a joystick with a twist axis. Rudder pedals are the best, but a twist stick will do ya. I personally would not think of using keys to fly this game. Lock-on, maybe but not il2

berg417448
09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Lock your tailwheel before you try to take off. It will help out immensely.

Zeus-cat
09-03-2007, 07:06 PM
You do have a joystick, don't you?

Download and install my "Straight From the Farm" campaign (see the link at the bottom of my post). It was made for people new to the sim and shows you how to takeoff and land on grass and then on carriers. Installation instructions are in the readme file.

You should also check out the Nuggets guide put together by Bearcat99 (no relation):
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645

ytareh
09-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Turning the rudder AND pressing brake at same time will make only one wheel brake work.This will make your turns much sharper.Be careful or you will rip a wheel off or go into a spin on the runway.

badaboom.1
09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
quote from Zeus-cat"You should also check out the Nuggets guide put together by Bearcat99 (no relation):"
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645

That's a good one!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Bearcat99
09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaccaRoony:
Maybe I'm not pressing the right buttons but a lot of my aircraft have ended up with their noses in the dirt because I can't get the rudder to work on take off. I can't keep the plane straight. I thought the keys were Z and X for left and right respectively. Any help? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off... if you are pressing keys for rudder that means you are either trying to fly this sim with a keyboard, you have a joystick without rudder control, or you have improperly mapped controls. Either scenario is not going to fly. Pun intended.

You need a joystick. One with rudder control. You need to assign that rudder control in the HOTAS section of the sim for maximum efficiency. You also will need to assign a key to trim... elevator and rudder... (all 3 trim axii are important but these two are the most used) rudder trim is more important.

If you have all those things done then you will just need to practice. If you do not then you need to do that if you want to even scratch the paint on this sim, much less the actual surface. This sim is more sim than game when put up against any otner WWII flight product on the markey to date. Patience is more than a virtue.. in this sim it is a necessity.

Hit the Nugget's guide in my sig before you go any farther.

Bikewer
09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Another bit to remember, after you get your joystick set up, is that the rudder needs a certain amount of airflow to affect the direction of the aircraft.
On the runway, you'll need to throttle up a bit to get enough air passing the rudder to turn the plane.
Once you're lined up, lock the tailwheel. If you're using the cockpit view, try to pick out a cloud or other object that you can keep in sight as you build speed.

smetzger
09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Wrong, I am new to the game but there is a bug with this.

On the ground stopped..no engine the plane will drift to one side. Then when I try to taxi it wont let me turn to one side(opposite of the drift direction). Happend in a fw-190, i-250 and in Zuezcats SBD training mission. Its like the wind is blowing hard to one side. It makes taxing ind taking off impossible.

I have everything mapped right and know the controls. I tried yeboard and controller rudder and it does same thing. Tailwheel locked unlock.

Very frustrating

FluffyDucks2
09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Obviously you are trying to take off in a mission with crosswind....which IS hard.

Try a different mission http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

smetzger
09-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Its a campaign I cant do that...especially the scripted campaign I am in.

Thats ridiculous if its a crosswind.

Can I turn it off?

FoolTrottel
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Open that specific mission in the Full Mission Builder. Then change the Weather settings via Edit, Conditions.
(To find out which mission it is, check how many missions you've completed, open up the file Campaign.ini and goto that number of missions +1)

Or just switch on the Autopilot, have him take off, then switch it back off... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Have Fun!

MaxMhz
09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smetzger:
Wrong, I am new to the game but there is a bug with this.

On the ground stopped..no engine the plane will drift to one side. Then when I try to taxi it wont let me turn to one side(opposite of the drift direction). Happend in a fw-190, i-250 and in Zuezcats SBD training mission. Its like the wind is blowing hard to one side. It makes taxing ind taking off impossible.

I have everything mapped right and know the controls. I tried yeboard and controller rudder and it does same thing. Tailwheel locked unlock.

Very frustrating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you jump in the deep end trying a 2-engined aircraft with full-real settings instead of with a single engined aircraft on easy settings? If so, re-think and start easy. If not, check on external view (F2 or F8) if your rudder is deployed full either way and if it reacts to your inputs.
Give up trying to fly with the main controls assigned to keyboard. Get a joystick with rudder and throttle controls.
Also check what happens in Quick Mission Builder

smetzger
09-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Tha autopilot crashes into the fence everytime...

Its a crosswind I am pretty sure. Just strange no one has complained because it makes this mission impossible.

its an i-250 prop and jet. I know the controls. Like I said everything works 90% of the time. I am going to check the file to see if the weather is set to 3 or something.

Just strange no one has complained cause you have a 1/1000 chance of taking off if you can clear the security fence on bumpy ground in 200 ft or so. bizzare

MaxMhz
09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Did you try a Quick mission to see if it works OK there?

FoolTrottel
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tha autopilot crashes into the fence everytime... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What mission is that? In what campaign?
(As in what is an i-250? Dunno, I'm not much into them '46 planes...)

FluffyDucks2
09-13-2007, 03:38 AM
May simply be a bug in THAT mission/campaign. If it works ok in all other missions/QMB etc then it is NOT the game but the SPECIFIC mission/campaign.

DKoor
09-13-2007, 05:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FluffyDucks2:
May simply be a bug in THAT mission/campaign. If it works ok in all other missions/QMB etc then it is NOT the game but the SPECIFIC mission/campaign. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Making too much sense....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway.........I'll guess which mission is it....I'm guessing teh third mission in Luft 46 ("Burning Streak") campaign where you escape from Russian prison in an I-250....weather is "impossible" and you need to quickly take off and fly away, with 25% fuel - it's not easy but it's far, far away from impossible - here:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/5f12a18e-a60a-4fff-87d9-aa5c0...rI250-BS46escapemis3 (http://www.esnips.com/doc/5f12a18e-a60a-4fff-87d9-aa5c0d3e87cb/DKoorI250-BS46escapemis3)

smetzger
09-13-2007, 08:28 AM
it took me 40 trys of launching through the guard gate and bounding along the ground.

I went into the .mis file and changed the clouds 9 to clouds 3 and the mission behaved like it should. Much more fun and realistic that way.

In fact all the missions that were impossible to take off had cloud 6+. Big oversight on the mission builders IMO.

But i fixed it. Its fun now!

DKoor
09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smetzger:
it took me 40 trys of launching through the guard gate and bounding along the ground. <span class="ev_code_RED">(it took me only a few tries to get the mission done successfully, I did the taking off part good in the very first try, just I run out of fuel and crashed the plane over friendly lines.....but since I'm going to use that plane further on in the campaign I had to land safe and sound just to ensure some kind of 'realistic' progress in the campaign)</span>

I went into the .mis file and changed the clouds 9 to clouds 3 and the mission behaved like it should. Much more fun <span class="ev_code_RED">(if you said "less frustrations" instead of "more fun" I'd agree on that, this way I disagree)</span> and realistic that way.<span class="ev_code_RED">(100% disagree)</span>

In fact all the missions that were impossible to take off had cloud 6+. Big oversight on the mission builders IMO. <span class="ev_code_RED">(I take that as a proof that you didn't bother to check out the track I made especially for newcomers like you)</span>

But i fixed it. Its fun now! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Truth to be told, I must be some kind of a moron.

Trying to help people around and stuff.

Isn't worth.

DKoor over & out.