PDA

View Full Version : Reading the first Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (novel)

Double-Agent.
03-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Hey, I have been reading the first Splinter Cell (Novel) and well it is not what I expected it to be. I would like to know if you all thought it was good or not. I think it would be rated R, and a 6 out of a 10. 10 good, 1 bad.
The first splinter Cell game is a 10, Splinter Cell: Pandorra Tomarro is 7, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory a 7. I am thinking of reading next the second novel of Tom Clancy. I also think Splinter cell: Double Agent is going to be a 8. I would say reading the Novel is like watching 24 with Jack Bauer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/241001.jpg

Double-Agent.
03-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Hey, I have been reading the first Splinter Cell (Novel) and well it is not what I expected it to be. I would like to know if you all thought it was good or not. I think it would be rated R, and a 6 out of a 10. 10 good, 1 bad.
The first splinter Cell game is a 10, Splinter Cell: Pandorra Tomarro is 7, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory a 7. I am thinking of reading next the second novel of Tom Clancy. I also think Splinter cell: Double Agent is going to be a 8. I would say reading the Novel is like watching 24 with Jack Bauer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/241001.jpg

pretty_ugly
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
you think double agent will be worst than the first splinter cell? weird.

I read one of the novels ( I don't know if it was the first one ) and it was pretty lame. try reading the Jason Bourne novels. you might know the story already, but at least the're well written. cheers

JameH.v.1
03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
To be honest the first novel reads like a childs "what i did during the holidays" essay.

I broke his neck. I ran away. I hid. It was fun.

Not a great read imo.

quillan
03-07-2006, 12:16 PM
The Bourne Identity, by Robert Ludlum. Forget the movie, read the book. Personally, I think the first book is great, but the second (The Bourne Supremacy) isn't quite as good, and The Bourne Ultimatum is only ok.

The Day of the Jackal, by Frederick Forsythe. Again, read the book. The movie is good if you're referring to the mid 70s version starring Edward Fox, but not the crappy remake with Bruce Willis.

As to the SC novels, I read the first one. I gave it to my cat as a scratch toy. Even she doesn't like it, because it's intact (though under the bed, I think).

JameH.v.1
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
The Ian Fleming james bond books are decent spy novels as well. Forget the cheesy, unrealistic movies however as they're nothing like the books they're named after.

Double-Agent.
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
The first Splinter Cell game has the most detailed storyline so far. Pandorra Tomarro had a good one, but it was not detailed as the first. Same with Chaos Theory, it had a good storyline, but I mean it did not have that seriousness as the first. I think Double Agent will have the best game play, graphics, and good storyline. I will not know really until I play it, but judging from the other games it should be a 8-10.

Double-Agent.
03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
As far as Jason Bourne and James Bond, I am not really into that kind of secret agent. I like 24 or Splinter Cell, were it is psychological. Were you have a more realistic type of torture. I mean James Bond uses his real name for everything, Jason Bourne is the ultimate fighting person. I just want a realistic kind of what would really happen or you get the bad guy with your smarts. Like in Chaos Theory Sam Fisher said, What decides the battle is not firer power, but stealth. Not to say James Bond and Jason Bourne novels are idiotic, but I like more realistic stealthyish kind of storyline in a book. But that is me.

SoulFire382
03-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I hated the books. There's no way to sugar-coat it. They were totally awful. Every single sentence of every single paragraph of every single chapter was written in the same way: Badly. As JameH said, it was all the same:
"I saw a guy. I jump to the ground. I shoot him."
It was written in some kind of weird dimensional flux between first and second person, and between present and past tense. Horrible writing. I couldn've done better, seriously.

pretty_ugly
03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
now that you mention it, they probably did put more time and effort into the first story line.

also, I hear what you're saying about the differences in SC and James Bond and Jason Bourne, but what most people here are trying to say is that those books are much more well-written they the SC series and therefore more enjoyable.

Jackie Fiest
03-15-2006, 12:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pretty_ugly:
also, I hear what you're saying about the differences in SC and James Bond and Jason Bourne, but what most people here are trying to say is that those books are much more well-written they the SC series and therefore more enjoyable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm...sorry...gotta disagree with you there...

Look guys, if you sat down to read the SC novels expceting them to be like the games, I'm not surprised you were dissapointed. There was NO way the books could have been like the games and been any good.

What is the premise of the games? To go in somewhere, quietly. Gather some information, quietly...and to do it all without anyone seeing you. What kind of book would that have been?

"Sam Fisher goes into a terroist outfit...grabs a incriminating piece of evidence! No one saw him and nothing happened!"

Ummm no...just no.

The difference between literature and video games is in video games, it's interactive. Its exciting because you feel like you are in that situation. Books aren't interactive so it just couldn't be that way.

One thing to keep in mind is that movies don't have the pleasure of being interactive either.
SC has a reputation for stealth so I think the movie will have stealthy parts...but based on the differences between genres, I would bet the SC movie will be more like the books than the games.

Tfrogs1
03-15-2006, 12:49 AM
A little action is fine, but only if it's written decently...

Jackie Fiest
03-15-2006, 01:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tfrogs1:
A little action is fine, but only if it's written decently... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if you are speaking of the book I thought it was written very well. It was the first time I, as a fan, got to see the world through the eyes of Sam Fisher. I have always perfered the 1st person POV so we can focus on the thoughts of the main characer rather than being dictated too. You just needa lil imagination.

Also, I just picked up Raymond Bensons last book and loved it too.

And if you meant the movie, as long as JT Petty writes it, it will be awesome.

quillan
03-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here. For me, the big turn off in the first book was characterization. I've played all the SC games, and between Michael Ironside's vocalization and the writing, I get a sense of Sam Fisher's character. He strikes me as sarcastic and a bit cynical. I got absolutely no sense of character from Benson's portrayal of Sam in the book. There were also a number of continuity errors between the book and the games, which I couldn't accept.

Now, I don't like Raymond Benson at all. I've tried reading a couple of his Bond novels, and I didn't like those either, so a large part of it is his writing style. Oh well.

C.A.T.ops_v2.0
03-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Jackie, I agree that the books can't be identical to the video games. It's just the nature of things. However, that still doesn't excuse the fact that David Michaels' writing is a pathetic excuse for poor literature.

He starts sentences with "and", he ends sentences with prepositions, he loads misplaced modifiers all over the place, he uses non-descript and insipid verbs/adjectives, his story sucks, and he reuses one sentence structure like 1,479 times. I picked up the first SC book hoping it would be good. When I sat down to read it I almost barphed because it read so disgustingly. Granted, I have not read the sequel, so perhaps Michaels has improved. But I doubt it.

Jackie Fiest
03-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Well I guess you will have to pick up the sequel and see. I'd lend you mine but it's autograhped. lol

As far as the..I guess you would call them, structure problems you had, I don't recall anything that stood out. If they were that severe I don't see how they would have made it past Penguin Publishers editors, but, I guess we will have to agree to disagree and respect the differences. I'm working on my fourth Benson novel now and I love it.

Now we just all need to keep an eye out for who they next David Michaels will be. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MKCC14
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TFS_Jackie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pretty_ugly:
also, I hear what you're saying about the differences in SC and James Bond and Jason Bourne, but what most people here are trying to say is that those books are much more well-written they the SC series and therefore more enjoyable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed, i knew the book was going to be nothing like the game at all. i thought of the book as a regular book i just picked up and not from some game.

personally its one of my fav books because of the story.
Umm...sorry...gotta disagree with you there...

Look guys, if you sat down to read the SC novels expceting them to be like the games, I'm not surprised you were dissapointed. There was NO way the books could have been like the games and been any good.

What is the premise of the games? To go in somewhere, quietly. Gather some information, quietly...and to do it all without anyone seeing you. What kind of book would that have been?

"Sam Fisher goes into a terroist outfit...grabs a incriminating piece of evidence! No one saw him and nothing happened!"

Ummm no...just no.

The difference between literature and video games is in video games, it's interactive. Its exciting because you feel like you are in that situation. Books aren't interactive so it just couldn't be that way.

One thing to keep in mind is that movies don't have the pleasure of being interactive either.
SC has a reputation for stealth so I think the movie will have stealthy parts...but based on the differences between genres, I would bet the SC movie will be more like the books than the games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>