PDA

View Full Version : flaps

daswift12005
02-15-2007, 11:20 AM
hi all , i was just bout to go to the shop to buy a new joystick . in order of that i was thinking how many buttons i need at least . do you guys actively use the flaps ? i mean , take of without flaps in takeoff position is a peace of cake , and do you guys put flaps in combat mode when doghfighting ?? i never do , it seems to turn slower that way , and has no effect on stalling , or does it ?? regards daswift1 always on the go . . .

daswift12005
02-15-2007, 11:20 AM
hi all , i was just bout to go to the shop to buy a new joystick . in order of that i was thinking how many buttons i need at least . do you guys actively use the flaps ? i mean , take of without flaps in takeoff position is a peace of cake , and do you guys put flaps in combat mode when doghfighting ?? i never do , it seems to turn slower that way , and has no effect on stalling , or does it ?? regards daswift1 always on the go . . .

AVGWarhawk
02-15-2007, 11:23 AM
oh oh

josephs1959
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I've found that after assigning all the buttons that i do have, I still can find a need for others. Theres never enough! X-52

Cajun76
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I do use combat flaps on occasion. It will lower your stall speed at the expense of drag, so for example:

In a vertical fight I'll use it at the top of my loop if I'm not getting the nose around fast enough (not enough speed at the top, mushing out) or to pull a bit of extra lead, but with a hard yank at high speed, even a Thunderbolts wing will break.

So you'll turn a bit tighter, but lose speed faster. It's a judgment call for the situation. That's the challenge of energy fighting. Knowing when and where to use the energy you've gained or brought with you to the fight at the right time and right way.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I use flaps all the time. For fighting, landing, takeoff and any other thing I think they might help with.

As for joysticks? get the best HOTAS stick you can afford. My choices in descending order:

1. CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro pedals
2. X52/ Saitek pedals
3. Thrustmaster Cougar

Choices 1 & 3 will set you back about $300USD (the Cougar even more if appropriate mods are added into the cost) while the Saitek will be a bit cheaper (even if the X52 and pedals are combined.

I wouldn't use anything less than one of these personally...And don't forget the TrackIR. That alone usually frees up a hat switch at least thus adding 4 more functions to your stick minimum.

TB

p-11.cAce
02-15-2007, 12:31 PM
I fly with option#2 plus TIR4 plus two 10 button switchboxes I build using desktop aviators (http://www.desktopaviator.com/) 10 button USB interface and some switches from radio shack. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif How can you fly well without flaps? (rhetorical) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Fireball_
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
If you ever plan to takeoff or land on a carrier, you'll definitely want flaps.

I always use them for landing, whether on a carrier or a runway.

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Flaps applied slightly by a slider or axis acan help you turn but flaps also see to reduce my stall speed so I can fly at a slower speed and still keep contol. Good for when the enemy puts on the breaks in front of you.

Ide recommend a Combatstick 568 and a programmable keypad of some kind.

BlitzPig_DDT
02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Plastic **** joysticks suck. Joysticks are like cars. You can buy a city car, or you can buy a sports car. The sports car will be more expensive up front, AND you will want to modify it after the fact, but that doesn't matter, it's not about cost, it's about performance.

With that out of the way....

Flaps do work, they do increase lift as well as drag. Combat flaps are a compromise between the 2, allowing just a bit more lift for a turn without adding too much drag, but generally it's best to keep your speed too high for flaps to be used without jamming.

While you can go without ever using them, it's a good idea for landing, and mandatory for taking off on a carrier with a load (especially in a DF server), and essentially mandatory for trapping on a carrier as well.

On landing on a strip, they help slow you down so that you don't need a ridiculously long final approach, or risk flipping it over trying to stop before the end of the runway. They also allow a slower touch down (in addition to merely helping provide one), even further reducing the load on the brakes (and risk of flipping).

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
"it's best to keep your speed too high for flaps to be used without jamming."

Thats were th slider or axis comes in; you can deploy a bit of laps at any speed without jamming them. Im sure you probably know this .

Would be nice if CH-Prod's made there main stick and gimble assy out of a good quality 6061 machined aluminum. Only the flightstick pro is regarded by me as top quality and that doesnt have enough buttons for todays sims. The combatstick and fighterstick are a bit flimsy IMO but have a good support forum to get the most from them.

x6BL_Brando
02-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Did you know that you can fit 102 commands onto a CH fighterstick?
If that ain't enough you could use the keyboard.

The question to ask yourself might be "why do planes have flaps in the first place?"

B.

Chef-Scott
02-15-2007, 02:02 PM
There are never enough buttons or switches. I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force and 2 Belkin Nostromo n52 Speed Pads! I was also building a switch box, with slide pots from two cannibalized joysticks. But I have decide to just go for broke and order two of these bad boys! http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/index.html

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you know that you can fit 102 commands onto a CH fighterstick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should make the base rectangular and add 2 more throttle wheels or sliders.

Fighterstick
Lets see 3 modes plus a shift button makes maybe even more than 102 commands. Too much for me to remember.

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chef-Scott:
There are never enough buttons or switches. I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force and 2 Belkin Nostromo n52 Speed Pads! I was also building a switch box, with slide pots from two cannibalized joysticks. But I have decide to just go for broke and order two of these bad boys! http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/index.html

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep us up to date on that project. Ssounds interesting.

BlitzPig_DDT
02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris0382:
"it's best to keep your speed too high for flaps to be used without jamming."

Thats were th slider or axis comes in; you can deploy a bit of laps at any speed without jamming them. Im sure you probably know this .

Would be nice if CH-Prod's made there main stick and gimble assy out of a good quality 6061 machined aluminum. Only the flightstick pro is regarded by me as top quality and that doesnt have enough buttons for todays sims. The combatstick and fighterstick are a bit flimsy IMO but have a good support forum to get the most from them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sliders can be used to greater effect elsewhere though, like trim.

The point was that if you're trying to use flaps in combat you're trying to turn too hard. Just like if you're blacking out after a pass, you're turning too hard and bleeding off too much E.

But then, I almost never fly Spitfires or soviet stuff. lol

I have 6 active axes, a microstick (which I use for the mouse), 2 left over (and currently unused axes), and 27 buttons (if I counted correctly (I'm at work right now and going by memory)). That easily works out to at least 144 potential buttons in the physical sense, but I can also create logical flags in the profile which can further expans that number almost limitlessly. Plus I can make axes into button streams, even overlaying the analog axis function.

My LOMAC profile RAWKED! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Sliders can be used to greater effect elsewhere though, like trim.

I agree
To me trim is a top priority for a slider. I turned my extra flightstick pro into an levator trim by removing the Yaxis spring and adding a shim to stiffen the movement. Thats why ide like to see more sliders on the sticks. On the CH-Prod sticks you can program the hats to emulatean analog axis but not as good as an actual slider though.

Chris0382
02-15-2007, 05:16 PM
[and do you guys put flaps in combat mode when doghfighting ??

The trick is to assign flaps to a slider or axis and only apply half of what would be normally applied with one press of the flaps down button.
Cant do that unless flaps are assigned to an axis or slider.