PDA

View Full Version : Help, I don't know how to navigate.

Flanker1985
07-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry to bother you guys. It just I started to play the USN and I have no ideal how to navigate in the sea. The radio compass doesn't seems working. It seems that it only show me the first way point. How can I switch to the second way point? And what is the beacon, how do I correctly use it. Can anyone help me please.

Also I have the problem to navigate the Soviet planes in bad weather too, where you can't even see the landmake. Can anyone help me please!!

Flanker1985
07-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry to bother you guys. It just I started to play the USN and I have no ideal how to navigate in the sea. The radio compass doesn't seems working. It seems that it only show me the first way point. How can I switch to the second way point? And what is the beacon, how do I correctly use it. Can anyone help me please.

Also I have the problem to navigate the Soviet planes in bad weather too, where you can't even see the landmake. Can anyone help me please!!

DD_crash
07-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Me too! however you are supposed to use heading, speed and time to get your approximate position. If you want to fly with no mini map then its best to print out the map you are flying on at a large size mark your course and off you go. Consider doing Joint Ops as there is a bit of the basic stuff on the first course.

Flanker1985
07-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks DD. But I am in flight sim for over 5 years now. I do know how to use the land mark and direction. What I am asking is how can I navigate in ocean and in etreme bad weather when you can't even see the land.

Tully__
07-29-2011, 06:56 AM
I think Crash was suggesting that there's some basic "speed and heading" navigation (open water dead reckoning type navigation) covered in the Joint Ops course.

This involves (at its simplest) combining your (true) airspeed with your heading and a stop watch to work out how far you've gone in which direction. Keep this up all through the mission and you always know where you are.

I'll second the Joint Ops recommendation, they'll almost certainly teach you much more than you think they can even in the basics course.

GratedLeeman
07-29-2011, 08:06 AM
And if you don't want to follow the good advise, I'll give you some bad advise!

Get vector to target from Control and fly in a straight line there, then get a vector back to base and fly in a straight line back!

I may write a "Navigating for Dummies" guide...

Luno13
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
If you guys are flying with 4.10/4.10.1 then you can use radio-navigation. But three things need to happen: The difficulty option for the beacons must be set. Next, nav beacons need to be on the map. DGEN missions don't spawn these; you will have to find a player created mission. Finally, you also have to set some key commands which allow you to change frequency and heading.

As for printing maps, that's no longer necessary. In 4.10 you can turn on "minimap path" which displays the waypoints and their lengths and headings. Unlike before, it no longer displays the "GPS" player's aircraft, so it's perfectly reasonable to have it on if you still like realism.

Flanker1985
07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks, but what happen when I am in "realistic" model since I am already in.
Also, what happen when I am interupted by enemy? For example, yesterday we were on our way to the Japanese carrier and half way there, we got jumped by Zeros. After I shot down 3 of them I got lost. I had no idea where my team mates went and where is the Japanese carrier.

Tully__
07-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Once you're practiced at this sort of navigation, you'll have a rough idea where you were when the fight started and hopefully a rough idea how long it lasted and what direction you drifted most during the fight. This should give you some idea where the fight finished within 5 - 10 km and for the purposes of spotting your ship or your target area, this is generally close enough unless visibility is near zero.

PhantomKira
07-30-2011, 07:56 AM
In 4.10 and 4.10.1, aircraft carriers send out radio signals for navigation. Each carrier sends out specific (and differing between ships) three letter morse code groups along specific bearings from the ship. When you tune in to the ship's beacon, you'll get this morse code over your headset once a minute. By knowing which three letters you're hearing (this requires that one has a very good handle on morse code... or a cheat sheet), you can determine which sector you're in and thus a rough heading to the ship. There's a very nice tutorial explaining all this in considerably more detail, somewhere. Unfortunately, I've reinstalled my OS and long since lost that tutorial.