PDA

View Full Version : a strange and wonderful thing...

fabianfred
11-08-2009, 06:16 AM
I like very large complex missions and made my own version of the Midway map some time ago...and a big carrier battle with torpedo bombers attacking the fleets of both sides with dive bombers attacking the Midway islands and ground installations.
Someone has made a better new map which will soon be released and I moved my mission onto the new map using a little tool someone made for me to adjust all the waypoints in a mission by a certain amount.
I have been using the HSFX pack as well as having several other installs of different versions on my hard drives. This has the new moving Infantry by FC and so I am able to populate the mission with moving troops to lend a bit of life to it...and the enemy straffe them too. Also there are some new coastal guns in bunkers which i believe were used to good effect during the real action.
My mission is a coop (played off-line) so i had flown a zero off the carrier and attacked the incoming torpedo-eight bombers but one of them got me and froze my engine.
I crashed and continued to watch the action from various cameras....the more complex a mission the more random it becomes...it never plays out the same each time.
I was watching some infantry being straffed on the airstrip by a dive bomber and noticed an F4F with its wheels down, obviously coming in to land. All the F4F's take-off from the US carrier, but some land on the island and some on the carrier...but the US carrier was sinking. This F4F seemed to speed up and flew just above the ground along the airstrip....I thought that perhaps the attacking plane had disturbed the AI pilot during landing and that having fluffed the landing it would overshoot and crash. I watched amazed as it pulled up its gear and went back around the circuit. The dive bomber got on its tail and was a danger for a while, but AAA from the red fleet brought it down. The F4F then continued round and landed OK to taxi into a parking spot as some troops walked by.
I never cease to be amazed at how realistic this game can be.

fabianfred
11-08-2009, 06:16 AM
I like very large complex missions and made my own version of the Midway map some time ago...and a big carrier battle with torpedo bombers attacking the fleets of both sides with dive bombers attacking the Midway islands and ground installations.
Someone has made a better new map which will soon be released and I moved my mission onto the new map using a little tool someone made for me to adjust all the waypoints in a mission by a certain amount.
I have been using the HSFX pack as well as having several other installs of different versions on my hard drives. This has the new moving Infantry by FC and so I am able to populate the mission with moving troops to lend a bit of life to it...and the enemy straffe them too. Also there are some new coastal guns in bunkers which i believe were used to good effect during the real action.
My mission is a coop (played off-line) so i had flown a zero off the carrier and attacked the incoming torpedo-eight bombers but one of them got me and froze my engine.
I crashed and continued to watch the action from various cameras....the more complex a mission the more random it becomes...it never plays out the same each time.
I was watching some infantry being straffed on the airstrip by a dive bomber and noticed an F4F with its wheels down, obviously coming in to land. All the F4F's take-off from the US carrier, but some land on the island and some on the carrier...but the US carrier was sinking. This F4F seemed to speed up and flew just above the ground along the airstrip....I thought that perhaps the attacking plane had disturbed the AI pilot during landing and that having fluffed the landing it would overshoot and crash. I watched amazed as it pulled up its gear and went back around the circuit. The dive bomber got on its tail and was a danger for a while, but AAA from the red fleet brought it down. The F4F then continued round and landed OK to taxi into a parking spot as some troops walked by.
I never cease to be amazed at how realistic this game can be.

wheelsup_cavu
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
That would be an .ntrk worth watching.

Wheels

fabianfred
11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
unfortunately I'm not in the habit of making ntrk's.... and a normal trk file of a mission of such complexity would never come out as it should http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

only about one time in ten does the US carrier get sunk.....sometimes all three jap ones do...sometimes none

fabianfred
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
now my new Ultrapack has finished downloading by torrent......I'll be able to land and rearm/refuel
Those F4F's run out of ammo too quickly...

wheelsup_cavu
11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fabianfred:
unfortunately I'm not in the habit of making ntrk's.... and a normal trk file of a mission of such complexity would never come out as it should http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

only about one time in ten does the US carrier get sunk.....sometimes all three jap ones do...sometimes none </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I understand about that.
I gave up on .trks a long time ago.
It was too frustrating that they almost never seemed to playback correctly.

Wheels

Choctaw111
11-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I too have seen some pretty amazing things in this sim that are life like in behavior, and not at all like some scripted event.
Every time someone has a great story about something amazing in Il2 that really surprises them, I would always like to see it for myself.

stalkervision
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I thought from your post title you were going to say that sometimes when you blow your nose you often do a cheese bomb at the very same time... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif