PDA

View Full Version : Went flying for the first time today -in a glider

Superjew1
08-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I went out to a local glider club and tried flying in a glider for the first time today. Didnt count towards hours in an aircraft but man was it fun. We got up to 3600 ft due to a thermal updraft and floated down to about 2100 ft before the pilot took over. I could control everything but the rudder. I mainly wanted to do it to learn how to conserve energy when Im flying in IL2, but it was fun.

Its a non-profit glider club I went to, mainly they charge for the land area of the runway and maintenance of the gliders, everything else is free. I had a good time, cant say I wont do it again, and I can improve my IL2 Sturmovik skills flying gliders.

BUt man does it make me wish for a force feedback mod for my cougar HOTAS, aint nothin like the vibration of a real joystick.

Superjew1
08-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I went out to a local glider club and tried flying in a glider for the first time today. Didnt count towards hours in an aircraft but man was it fun. We got up to 3600 ft due to a thermal updraft and floated down to about 2100 ft before the pilot took over. I could control everything but the rudder. I mainly wanted to do it to learn how to conserve energy when Im flying in IL2, but it was fun.

Its a non-profit glider club I went to, mainly they charge for the land area of the runway and maintenance of the gliders, everything else is free. I had a good time, cant say I wont do it again, and I can improve my IL2 Sturmovik skills flying gliders.

BUt man does it make me wish for a force feedback mod for my cougar HOTAS, aint nothin like the vibration of a real joystick.

Lemky
08-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Why not the rudder?

Superjew1
08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
my big bulky shoes werent letting me feel the pedals so I couldnt tell if I was controling the rudder or not. Ill get that down next time I go.

joejoemonkey
08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I suppose the next logical step would be to create a time machine, go back to 1940 and join the RAF. If you don't get bounced by cheating BnZ 190's, impart your wisdom to your young self and hopefully not destroy the universe via paradoxically not going back through time like you did the first time because you already did.... to play Il2 better.

But otherwise, gliding sounds like it was awesome.

Mercanario
08-23-2009, 03:29 AM
gldings cool, ive had lots of fun flying gliders.

ClintTheSquint
08-23-2009, 04:58 AM
It really is a great experiance, yes. I flew gliders for about 4 years some years back before the cost was too much. Some of the best times I have had in my life, even today when I look up and see streets of cumilus clouds cant help but think back to those days and all the hours I spent soaring in thermals and along the ridges of the hills in northern England.

Now sadly IL-2 is the only flying I do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

BillyTheKid_22
08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
http://simflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/yifl_bushhawk_1.jpg

Rwulf__68
08-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Most of the best pilots in our squad are either glider pilots or powered aircraft.

Don't knock the experience Mr.SuperJ; gliding was an essential part of Luftwaffe training in the pre-war period & it definitely helped the early-war pilots with their air superiority.

If you have the opportunity for some stick time, take it. It will help not just your E-retention skills but also lead to understanding flight forces in general. This will enable you to 'get' the nuances of different aircraft in IL2 far more quickly than the sim pilot.

Keep us posted how you get on.

blairgowrie
08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
The worst pilot in our squad has several hundred hours air time under his belt. I should know!
I am he.

RPMcMurphy
08-24-2009, 03:57 AM
I am a glider geek.
RCs, and full scale.
I always will be until the day I croak.
I am glad to see that you went out and flew in a glider and had a good time Superjew1.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif