PDA

View Full Version : What's to stop me?

Matchstick_Man
08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
So, I'm looking, right this second, at my opportunity to get the Black Edition of AC2. Thing is, I'm a Yank, and I'm going to play it on my Yank PS3. Is there any likelihood that there'll be some "This disk is formatted for a different region" or "We cannot find your download" cockblockery to prevent me from using my Aussie purchased copy in the States?

Matchstick_Man
08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
So, I'm looking, right this second, at my opportunity to get the Black Edition of AC2. Thing is, I'm a Yank, and I'm going to play it on my Yank PS3. Is there any likelihood that there'll be some "This disk is formatted for a different region" or "We cannot find your download" cockblockery to prevent me from using my Aussie purchased copy in the States?

bokeef04
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I can't say for the bonus material as i don't know how it is being distributed, but i can say the game should work on your ps3 if your using a HDMI cable, I was recently in the US and bought UFC:undisputed which works fine on my Aussie PS3

Edengoth
08-20-2009, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
the game should work on your ps3 if your using a HDMI cable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What on earth does the type of cable connected to the screen have to do with it? It's generally the console that's region-locked, right? Not like the TV reads what kind of disk is being played and locks it based on region. Whatever's playing the disk (the console in this case) does that. So lol what does an HDMI cable have to do with that?

AzNxPiNoYxAzN
08-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Absolutely nothing.

ScytheOfGrim
08-21-2009, 12:46 AM
The game will work regardless of what Region it is and your PS3 is, since PS3 games are not region-locked.
The bonus content should work fine too, regardless of whether it's off the disc or obtained through a download code.

Now, where you might have a problem is in later DLC:
Your copy will be from Australia, and therefore Region 4.
If your Playstation Network account is American, then anything you download for the game from there will most likely not work.
You'd have to create an Australian PSN account and download the content from there to bypass this little hitch and get all the extra stuff to work.

That's assuming they release DLC that's different from what's in the Black Edition, of course; otherwise, this shouldn't worry you at all.

EDIT:
Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if you will be able to get the extra goodies in the Black Edition if the extra stuff is obtained through a download code. This is because you'll be connected to the American PSN Store (I assume), and therefore the content that works with the Region 4 disc might not be there.
I'm not too sure about that part, so you'd have to find out if the content is off the disc or not first.

dotdrew
08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
The only preblems I could see with this are that the DVD in the black edition will be a different region code and you'll need either and Australian DVD player or a region-free player to watch it. And that, if the extra content is downloaded through a code, which is most likely considering you can get it if you pre-order, it might not work in America. My suggestion would be to make an Australian PSN account to download it, if you do. Hope that's helpful.

caswallawn_2k7
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bokeef04:
the game should work on your ps3 if your using a HDMI cable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What on earth does the type of cable connected to the screen have to do with it? It's generally the console that's region-locked, right? Not like the TV reads what kind of disk is being played and locks it based on region. Whatever's playing the disk (the console in this case) does that. So lol what does an HDMI cable have to do with that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it makes alot of differance as PAL and NTSC isnt just randomly picked letters for the reigons on old consoles, they are a TV standard, NTSC (american) TV's have a lower line count about 480 at 60hz, compaird to a PAL TV with a line count of around 576 at 50hz, this is why most people who imported had problems as the imports would only work with certain leads.

in the case of people getting games from america sent to Europe they had to use a scart lead or the picture would constantly flicker and be black and white due to this differance. from what I have heard from americans the problem over there with european games was that parts of the picture were cut off.

now using a HDMI lead you use 480i, 720p, 1080i or 1080p and they are all the same the world over so it removes all the video problems.

Edengoth
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
that was educational http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Danvish
08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:
that was educational http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cas knows everything on anything. It's amazing.

caswallawn_2k7
08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
cas knows about importing because he has done ift for years, I just find it stupid these console firms feel the need to make people modify the hardware to do it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I'm all for a compleatly reigon free system like the PC. altho even there I needed to get a program to play imported DVD's and Bluray discs since the PS3 cant be changed like the PS2 could.