PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful sight!

HitchHikerHSDWG
05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry no pics (had no camera. While sitting on the back of my boat over the weekend something loud was heard and then overhead was a B-17, 2 B-25s, a B-24 and an accompanying fighter flying south of Travis AFB. Could'nt figure out the fighter amongst the flight but they were having fun with the fighter flying around the loose formation and then a stray B-25 catching up to the group was weaving left to right (possibly to burn off some speed?). Its not everyday that you see so much history in the air at once. It was very cool and I even had my wife excited!

Sorry if this is off topic but thought I'd share!

HitchHikerHSDWG
05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry no pics (had no camera. While sitting on the back of my boat over the weekend something loud was heard and then overhead was a B-17, 2 B-25s, a B-24 and an accompanying fighter flying south of Travis AFB. Could'nt figure out the fighter amongst the flight but they were having fun with the fighter flying around the loose formation and then a stray B-25 catching up to the group was weaving left to right (possibly to burn off some speed?). Its not everyday that you see so much history in the air at once. It was very cool and I even had my wife excited!

Sorry if this is off topic but thought I'd share!

justflyin
05-30-2006, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HitchHikerHSDWG:
It was very cool and I even had my wife excited! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, but how did she feel about the planes? &lt;insert tongue-in-cheek smiley here&gt;

danjama
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
if thats off topic whats the other 3/4's of the content ere http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

great story, i love random stuff like that!

wayno7777
05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Went by Stewart AFB today....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/wayno77/StewartAFB.jpg

HitchHikerHSDWG
05-31-2006, 07:55 PM
To think that tens of thousands of these planes were built and only a handful of flyable ones are still left is amazing enough. I have a deep respect for the B-17 as my grandfather was a navigator, bombadier and gunner on one during WWII. I cant imagine the horror of watching your friends go down in the plane next to you everyday and wondering if its your turn next. Lucky for him it never was his turn but I cant say that for others, other than it really was luck that got you home with the tactics being used!

Bo_Nidle
06-01-2006, 09:31 AM
NOTHING compares to a surprise flypast!

Last Saturday they celebrated the 100th birthday of R.J.Mitchell in Stoke-on-Trent. I was in my living room having something to eat when I heard a very different engine note to the airliners and light aircraft that normally passover enroute to Manchester airport.

My family knew something was up when I threw down my food and dashed to the front door to see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Lancaster flanked by the Spitfire and Hurricane IIc fly directly over my house.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2005/airshows/duxfordmay/Photographs/bbmf.jpg

NOTHING in the world sounds as cool as 6 Merlin engines flying in formation. (P.S. Yes I know the far Spit in the pic is Griffon engined but the one last Saturday wasn't!)

One of my favourites occured about 10 years ago. A Sunday afternoon, the sudden noise of unusual jets, the dash to an upstairs window to see an F-86 Sabre and MiG 15 fly past at lowlevel side-by-side....brilliant!!

About 6 years ago I was again having something to eat (I'm not always eating by the way, it just seems as if they know when I'm sitting down to have dinner)when a muted thunder grabbed my attention. I ran out onto the front lawn to see a squadron of F-15 Eagles at high altitude going from East to West. There were that many I had time to run back in,grab my binoculars and come back out to I.D. them. Never seen anything like it before or since.

The most enjoyable aspect of it is seeing people who say they cannot understand your fascination with "old aeroplanes" suddenly becoming more excited than you are!! I look at them with a huge smile and say "NOW do you see?"

leitmotiv
06-01-2006, 10:03 AM
VE-Day 1995 the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lanc flew over my place in Horsey on its way to the Mall several times---at low altitude---I was gleeful as a kid. Best fly pasts: when about four in 1956 or 7, I and my friends heard a tremendous roar, looked up, and there was a Navy blimp going right overhead so low we could see every detail. Made a lifelong lighter-than-air buff out of me. 1980, summer, University of California, Santa Barbara, suddenly heard a thunderous roar, ground was shaking---looked towards the nearby airport and saw three B-17 water bombers taking off in a perfect vee, tucked-in tight like the Thunderbirds. I was slackjawed. Thought instantly, well old boy, you'll never see that again!

OD_79
06-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Must admit I have had the BOBMF fly over my twice while playing cricket, on both occasions I was batting and the game stopped. They flew directly over the wicket at pretty low level, the sound was fantastic...don't think I lasted much longer at the crease...but's that's OT! lol

OD.

stubby
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I saw something cool like that two weeks ago here in the outskirts of Washington DC near Andrews AFB. As I pulled out to head home ( I work about 5 miles away from the base, I saw four dots. Three were big but the fourth was a speck. As it turned out, the three big dots were a F4 Phantom, a F14 and a F16. The little dot was a freakin' P51 all painted up in invasion stripes. I was just shocked at how tiny the Mustang was copared to contemporary jets. I guess those ol' warbirds seemed larger than life in all the pictures and movies.

Capt.England
06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Just wait until you see your first UFO!

BTW, I have had a telescope as a kid, my dad has still got one, I know what ball lighting looks like (Leicester suffers alot of ball lighting strikes over the years!!), My plane spotting skills are very,very good, and I know what weather ballons, birds, stealth planes and Harry Potter look like from different angles.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif suit on. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

HitchHikerHSDWG
06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
^^I miss living by Andrews AFB when my dad first got stationed to DC we lived there in temp housing for a while. Got to see some cool stuff even though I was just a tike. We lived inbetween Quantico and Fort Belvoir after that and we got to see stuff and hear stuff all the time. Its no fun living in the middle of nowhere california we need more AFBs around with fighter squadrons! The transports out of Travis AFB gets old!

VFA-25_Cobain
06-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Wayno, I see that sight every day. Where do you live, around in the Hudson valley?

The other day I was fishing (more like sitting on the river) and heard something. Looked from under the cover, and there were two F/A-18s, low level, landing at Stewart. Was a nice sight.

Got a family member who works as a pilot in the hangar JUST hidden by that shot, at the AmEx hangar.

danjama
06-02-2006, 02:25 AM
I remember being on holiday in Devon, 2002, and i heard a roar coming, a BIG one. Looking out of my chalet window, i see 2 Tornado's rushing over the place, going very very fast. Sonic-like, i spun around 180, pushed everything out of the way (breakfast, whats that?) and jumped to the opposite window to watch them fly off. I guess they were on training from Wales or Yeovil or sutim, but it was very cool!

reverendkrv1972
06-02-2006, 10:34 AM
a few years back,I was cycling to work along the seawall along the river medway,heard Merlins...was weaving about all over the track looking for the source,couldn't see it...then the Lancaster flew over me!I nearly fell off my mountainbike http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

another time my father & I were hiking in wales(Offas ****)we were on a ridge next to a valley,next thing we hear/see 2 Tornado's chasing each other through the valley,below us!
then the lead fighter pulled into the vertical,and the other carried on.

always a treat to see stuff like this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Rev

Friendly_flyer
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
During the 70ies and early 80ies we had some dry summers here in Norway, with quite a lot of forest fires.

Once (I must have been around 10) I was watching a small forest fire evolve when I was treated to the sound of radial engines. Low over the nearby hill came a yellow painted plane at no more than 100 metes altitude (300 ft), turning hard and spewing forth a cloud of water at the fire. It was just then that I realised the plane was flying below the horizon, turning so hard that I could se the top of plane quite plainly and identify it as a Catalina. The fire was perhaps a kilometre away.

In the late 80ies the Catalina‚‚ā¨ôs where phased out. I always feel a bit sad thinking how the coming generations won't ever see the surprisingly agile yellow bird water bomb fire. And I never felt shooting them down in the game.

wayno7777
06-02-2006, 10:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFA-25_Cobain:
Wayno, I see that sight every day. Where do you live, around in the Hudson valley?

The other day I was fishing (more like sitting on the river) and heard something. Looked from under the cover, and there were two F/A-18s, low level, landing at Stewart. Was a nice sight.

Got a family member who works as a pilot in the hangar JUST hidden by that shot, at the AmEx hangar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I live in PA. I hopped off I87 to get fuel at Ryder. I took that pic on the way back to the interstate. I used to go by there every week when I delivered storm doors. now I only get by there maybe three to five times a year. About a month ago I was coming down I84 from CT when 2 C-5's came over low.
This one was when I was passing Willow Grove NAS....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/wayno77/PV-3WillowGrove.jpg

Also, last year I was making a delivery outside a little town in PA called Halifax, when I heard a low roar. I seached the sky and lo and behold there was a silver four engine plane overhead. This was the Monday after the WW2 Weekend. It was Fifi on her flight home. An awesome sight!

squid1988
06-03-2006, 05:37 AM
i saw quite a spectaculer flypast on VE day last year

3spitfires
2hurricanes
lancaster
a C47
a corsair
a P47
and a P51

Now THAT was a spectacle

there was supossed to be a B17 as well but it had been grounded a few weeks earlier becasue the insurenece costs were too high

horseback
06-03-2006, 09:40 AM
As an Air Force brat, a Navy veteran and then as a civilian defense contractor, I've seen lots of air shows, fly bys, and so on in my lifetime, but the 'surprise' moments are always the best.

Late summer 1963, RAF Shepherd's Grove, Norfolk, about thirty feet up an old oak tree just outside base housing, a huge white-bellied batwinged Vulcan passes so low overhead that leaves from overhead are shaken loose and flutter down on my head...

Spring 1994, just east of Springerville, Arizona, driving east on Highway 60 near the continental divide (approx. 7500ft above sea level), a pair of B-1Bs crossing low in front of me no more than 1000 ft above the mountain crest, the sound of their engines arriving just before they passed behind my rear view mirror...

Fall, 1998, just off California 79, there is a rest stop overlooking the Anza-Borrego desert to the east. My sons and I were looking down from the mountains to the desert when a pair of F-18s in trail formation (probably from El Centro or MCAS Yuma) came streaking through the valley below and pulled up right in front of us, afterburners on and continued up to disappear into the clouds. After a long awestruck moment, we looked at each other with wide eyes and all three of us said at once "That was coool!"

cheers

horseback

Tusseladden
06-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Summer last year I visited Oslo here in Norway. While walking around at the docks minding my own business buying some IceCream, I heard something like a Lawnmower. I couldn't quite figure out where the origin of this sound was until I looked to the sky. There, only about 150 m up above me I saw a Tiger Moth struggling against the quite gentle wind above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif It was actually hard to register any movement at all.

Anyhow, it was interesting to see a real Tiger Moth flying above me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Btw I live right beneith the final approach area of the runway where I live. So I constantly see all kinds of private planes, airliners and military cargo and fighter airplanes. Once, three F-16's roared at what seemed to be supersonic speed just about 200 m over our house.... I tell you.. The plates almost shook out of our cabinets, the dog fled under our couch and the trees outside shed themselves naked :P

Ernst_Rohr
06-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Back in the late 70's my dad got posted to Hickam AFB in Hawaii, and I got to see a ton of cool stuff come through.

Turns out that there was a very small Brit contingent on Hickam for transiting RAF aircraft, and the Brits were "adopted" by my dads squadron. As a result I got to see some unusual birds (for me at least), the coolest one being the Vulcan. I remeber being at the end of the runway watching that bird take off. Bloody loud!

Other fun things that came through Hickam;

A-1 Skyraider (ungodly loud monster)
F-80 (P-80)/T-33 Trainers of the Hawaiian ANG (one crashed right after we moved there, and the planes were pulled from service soon after. I remember seeing all the silver and orange painted planes sitting in a back hanger on the base, abanoned)
F-104 non-airworthy
F-105 also of the ANG
F-101 no longer flyable, had a broken airframe, but the ramp crews would move it around on the ramp from time to time, just to confuse the russian satellites watching the base! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
F-102
F-4 several models, all Airforce and ANG
B-24 ex-Indian AF, heading for the US
B-52 many many of these
B-57 Canberra (heading to the US for decomissioning, several of them shuttled through)
F-5 Tiger II, shuttling through
F-14
A-4
A-6
Mig-19
Mig-21 North Korean defectors plane being shuttled to US. Pretty cool to see.
F-15
F-16
C-130
C-141
C-5
P-3 (tons of these around hawaii)

It was a great time to be there. Hawaii gets a lot of military traffic, and being there when they were switching out of the F-4 to the F15/16 was pretty cool.

Upon moving to Texas, got to see even a lot of stuff. Dyess AFB has a nice selection of aircraft on static display, most of which served at the base. Very cool static display park with a lot of AC.

AT-6 Texan
A-26C Invader
B-52D Stratofortress
DB-17P Fortress
EB-47E Stratojet
RB-66B Destroyer
EB-57B Night Intruder
F-104 Starfighter
F-101F Vodoo
F-100C Super Sabre
F-86L Sabrejet
F-89H Scorpion