PDA

View Full Version : Run or Fight?

Afromike1
02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Sadly, this sometimes happens to all of us. When an enemy plane gets one cannon shot into your wing do you run or still fight? With just one massive hole in your wing, your plane becomes severely un-aerodynamic. With such a great handicap into the fight dont you think it would be best if you run instead? It seems as though if you keep fighting a good pilot will conserve much of its energy, enough to later kill you.

But another problem is that if you run you wont be able to get top speed because of the hole in your wing. Unless if your really good and hide in clouds or jink out of their sight, an enemy can probably catch up with you.

I am interested in what some people would do because it is interesting to see how people deal with handicaps.

Afromike1
02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Sadly, this sometimes happens to all of us. When an enemy plane gets one cannon shot into your wing do you run or still fight? With just one massive hole in your wing, your plane becomes severely un-aerodynamic. With such a great handicap into the fight dont you think it would be best if you run instead? It seems as though if you keep fighting a good pilot will conserve much of its energy, enough to later kill you.

But another problem is that if you run you wont be able to get top speed because of the hole in your wing. Unless if your really good and hide in clouds or jink out of their sight, an enemy can probably catch up with you.

I am interested in what some people would do because it is interesting to see how people deal with handicaps.

b2spirita
02-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I know what you mean, but i think this depends entirely on circumstance. There are way, way to many variables that influence actions like whether or not i have cover, whether im over hostile (both enemy and natural) territory ect ect.

That said, in game i would probably try to continue the fight untill i had a reasonable chance of escape. IRL - assuming i didnt panic - probably leg it.

triad773
02-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Interesting poll, Herr Afromike.

If I am tasked with protecting something (bombers. base, etc.), and indulged with a "REFLY" (or rejoin) button, I am brazen enough to stick with it until my ship is cashiered http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

No doubt if it were IRL I'd beat it back to base with so much as a hangnail http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Saturday night, and cheers

Triad

Waldo.Pepper
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Don't get a hole in your wing in the first place.

Hey someone had to be a smart arse.

Choctaw111
02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Is that in your left wing or right? Sounds silly, but on some aircraft it does make a difference.
There are also more than one type of hole in Il2. The tiny little pepper holes do take some away from handling, and the big hole even more.
To finally answer you question, if I have already downed an enemy, or struck a target, I am not going to risk getting shot down trying to duke it out in a damaged plane. The wing damage really makes you a much easier target. I would try to make a run for it, unless I know I'm can't make it, then I will go down fighting. Who wouldn't.

Zeus-cat
02-14-2009, 10:57 PM
If you have a hole in your wing that seriously effects the performance of your aircraft you really should run. Now that doesn't mean you run immediately. You may need to stay in the fight until such time that you can get achieve adequate seperation from your opponent. There is no sense running if your opponent can immediately get behind you for an easy kill.

PanzerAce
02-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I generally fight it out, since when this happens to me usually it'd be a long enough run back to base that I could get hunted down because of the degraded handling.

triad773
02-15-2009, 01:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PanzerAce:
I generally fight it out, since when this happens to me usually it'd be a long enough run back to base that I could get hunted down because of the degraded handling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I follow that- why die on your knees when you can fight for your survival and have a better chance of winning (or at least not losing if you are giving up)?

DuxCorvan
02-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Circumstances? Am I alone? How many foes? How much energy I have? How much fuel/ammo I have? Where am I -far over enemy territory or near home?

The only answer I can give you is that it depends on too many facts to give you a definite, valid-for-all answer.

If I can't run, I usually try to fight the enemy off just to be alive, waiting for a chance to run, crash land or bail out. If I can run, and I know I don't stand a chance fighting, I run and fight another day.

IRL, fights tended to be brief, and both the enemy and you would disengage as soon as there was a chance of having real trouble. I mean, if you could fight back, they wouldn't try so hard anyway.

In sims, where real life isn't the bet, chairs are soft and wounds don't hurt, people tend to be far more aggressive and insistent than in real life.

ytareh
02-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Some of these holes seem to take massive chunks off your top speed so sometimes running can not even be a realistic option .In these situations sometimes all you can hope for is that while fighting your opponent will make a stupid mistake and crash or 'fly across your guns' -more common than you might think!

LovroSL
02-15-2009, 08:11 AM
some planes are pretty forgiving when it comes to this holes, and some... arent

fw190 barely flies with the "hole", so unless you got an extra 5000m of altitude you dont realy have a choice what to do- roling sizzors to delay the inevitable http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
and ussualy this happens on ground level since in a high altitude 190 you don't get the hole in the first place (ussualy)

SeaFireLIV
02-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Hole in the wing, I run. I don`t hand around to be shot down. Of course, if I`m in a mission where it is imperative to protect someone (like bombers) I might stay, but if there are enough friendlies then I`ll go.

Only on airquake dogfight servers will anyone be silly enough to hang on and still keep fighting, as many do, even when on fire!

SeaFireLIV
02-15-2009, 08:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can`t seem to edit my previous post for some reason... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Often if you get a hole in your wing and lose air-worthiness, your attacker often doesn`t know (unlike when the game tells the world that your controls have been shot), so you can often dive and run and the enemy will be glad to concentrate on someone else who stays to fight.

But it`s no good fighting when you are constantly about to fall out of the sky due to a hole in the wing.

p.s. If you`re forced to fight, you can sometimes offset this for a while by trimming hard in favour of the wounded wing.

jamesblonde1979
02-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi mike,

You don't always get a choice in these things but I would certainly be looking for the first chance to run. Why fight with a disability when you can go home and have another go the next day?

Combat in a damaged aircraft is suicide, the stresses you can put on a damaged structure are uncertain at best so in the interest of flying to historical conditions I would make getting home my first priority.

DKoor
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
If you are faster than enemy than run, if you are slower than fight.
If you can make it to the base - run.

M_Gunz
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
IRL you'd be thinking about bailing out before the fire starts.

ace1328fw190
02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
hey guys, personally, i saty and fight until i can get away from him or i down him, i fly the 109 G2 often and the huge holes u get in the fuselage and wings REALLY make it hard, but i usually get the shot in the left wing, and i usually duke it out till the end, anywhere else im gone, dive if i can and try to scissor if my damage will allow me, but i usually just duke it out to the end

~S~ ace1328fw190

Bobbo_Tabor
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
It would really be decision dependent on the situation. The most likely way you wing would be getting shot up would be from someone behind you so you would be dealing with the pesky "how do I get this guy off my 6 o'clock?" issue long before fight or fight comes up.

Bearcat99
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
All depends on if I have help.. if I have my squaddies around I will try to drag the badit to them... if I am alone I run...