PDA

View Full Version : Bf109 G10/K4 B&Zoom Tactics - Help with Engine Power Management!

La7ace
10-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I started to fly Bf109 G10/K4 in FB and wonder how I execute the B&Z tactics.

I usually climb up to 3000m before engaging the enemy planes. But after one dive or two, I was unable to climb back to 3000m (usually back to 1600-2000m). After another dive, I lose all my advantage in altitude.

FYI, when I dive, I throttle back to 30-50% power and combat flaps. I figure it would be easier to aim and adjust at slower speed. When climb after the dive, I use about 99% to 109% power (only briefly at 109%) and normal flap position.

Would you explain to me how to execute the B&Z tactics in a Bf109 G10 or K4 or any other Bf109s (please specify model)in terms of altitude to start diving, power management during diving and climbing, climbing angles, flap postions, etc?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

La7ace
10-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I started to fly Bf109 G10/K4 in FB and wonder how I execute the B&Z tactics.

I usually climb up to 3000m before engaging the enemy planes. But after one dive or two, I was unable to climb back to 3000m (usually back to 1600-2000m). After another dive, I lose all my advantage in altitude.

FYI, when I dive, I throttle back to 30-50% power and combat flaps. I figure it would be easier to aim and adjust at slower speed. When climb after the dive, I use about 99% to 109% power (only briefly at 109%) and normal flap position.

Would you explain to me how to execute the B&Z tactics in a Bf109 G10 or K4 or any other Bf109s (please specify model)in terms of altitude to start diving, power management during diving and climbing, climbing angles, flap postions, etc?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

La7ace
10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Any Bf109 pilots out there?

neural_dream
10-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Keep in mind that the 109 has a big elevator control issue at high speed dives (it gets very stiff). Also, if you throttle back to 30-50% and use flaps you waste a lot of your energy, which explains why you'll never climb back up to higher than 1500m altitude. Do not use flaps and do not throttle back if you plan to escape after your attack. I know it's difficult to aim like that, but it is necessary if you won't to retain your energy and climb back to "safe" altitude. The whole point, especially in BnZ, is to lose as little energy as possible. You lose energy by
turning hard (the P-51 will lose much more energy than say a Ki43 in a turn), reducing throttle (of course), using flaps (usually) etc etc.

I've written this one exactly for people like you, who want to learn.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8311086963

La7ace
10-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks a lot for your help!

Jumoschwanz
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Ok, I don't know where you are flying, but when I take off in a 109 I get up to just under 7000m alt before I enter a combat zone.

When you spot a dot, if you can dive on it so you come up behind and below it a bit, you should be going around 750km/hr when you level out in this position. No you will not have great elevator control at this speed, but we are not doing any hard or evasive manuevers here, we are not the hunted but the unseen hunter.
When you are in range, hit the target and head back up at a 45 degree angle, leveling out as your speed decreases to 260km/hr. You should be able to get back 80% to 90% of your original alt if you did it right.

Your target will either be dead or heading for home trailing fuel, oil and coolant. Your job is done, now look for the next target.

If you are using the flaps to keep slow then of course you will lose all your energy and altitude. You have to practice setting up shots and making shots while going almost as fast as the plane will go without losing parts in the wind.

This is not just for the 109 but for any craft you are flying. The other night I picked a foe off a friendlies tail. The foe never saw me once, and I was going so fast that the only way I knew I had hit and damaged the foe was that that his wing was removed came up on the chat bar while I was zooming back up. The foes plane was huge and filling up my windscreen, then it was gone, like a one frame subliminal message stuck into a film.

It is hard to line up and make fast shots in a 109 or other plane that has no elevator authority at high speed. And it is hard to make the same shots in a plane with great elevator authority but bad forward view, like the FW190. So if you are going to fly these planes, set up some missions in FMB, full realistic settings, where you are over the target 1000-3000 meters, and practice these kinds of shots, where you hit them and then go up and out of trouble with your excess speed, to make another pass or set up the next target. Good luck.

Jumoschwanz

Xiolablu3
10-24-2005, 06:55 PM
If you are not getting high enough then climb at a shallower angle. Simple really.

Planes tend to slow down when u point them straight up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif