PDA

View Full Version : New flight sim for people interested.

Dominicrigg
08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Slightly off topic but there is a wicked looking game coming out which i almost missed so i thought i would tell who is interested.

Its called Battle of Britain II wings of victory. There is a trailer for it at play.com

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs2&page=title&r=PC&title=572385

ok, sorry for the interuption, back to patrol!

Dominicrigg
08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Slightly off topic but there is a wicked looking game coming out which i almost missed so i thought i would tell who is interested.

Its called Battle of Britain II wings of victory. There is a trailer for it at play.com

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs2&page=title&r=PC&title=572385 (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stcs2&page=title&r=PC&title=572385)

ok, sorry for the interuption, back to patrol!

AVGWarhawk
08-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I'll wait for Olegs BoB when it comes out!

Dominicrigg
08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Mmm well olegs sims look beautiful and play well online but cant compete with this for a campaign. This has all the aspects modelled and will have massive air armadas battling each other. For the price you cant go wrong in my humble opinion!

Lets hope oleg gets his act together on the single player for his bob game!

dagamecat
08-17-2005, 03:30 PM
wow, for 18 I might just have to look into that.

I totally agree about Oleg's sims. I mean, they're truely great games, which I have played for a long, long time. But nearly all of that time has been multiplayer, the campaigns seem soulless and boring.

JU88
08-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Im definatly getting shockwaves bob 2.

It has a full dynamic campaign -what with being a remake of rowans, graphics look fantastic also. The only downer is that it will have no multiplayer.

Olegs bob2 may have multiplayer, but no dynamic campaign apparently.

In short:
Shockwaves bob for single player
Olegs bob for mutiplayer

worth getting both i guess.

Fish40
08-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I read a review in PC Gamer Magazine today on it. They say the AC are just as detailed as IL2's are! Effects , and cloud detail, as well as sounds are supposed to be awesome! The only bad points that were mentioned were occasional stutter, and a very challengeing FM. I guess the stutter could be minimized by tweaking your box, unless it is from within the game code itself. Initialy, CFS3 had major pauses and stutter problems until patches were developed to reduce the effect. As for the FM, I'm sure it can't be that much worse than what we're experienceing in IL2, since the latest patch. I do find the new FM more challengeing, but I'm still able to take off and land in one piece. If this is for the sake of realism, then I'm all for it! I'll definitely check out Shockwave's rendition of BOB. It's due to hit the shelves in October!

TheRealWulfmann
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
This may have just come out but is kinda old news.
Have been following this since last year.
The radio chatter is also suppose to be very good.
I am still awaiting feedback from real pilots that do flight sims but doubt you would care to hear what they have to say seeing how they think so little of any IL-2 FMs.
Still bad FMs and all nothing comes close to MP like IL-2 series. If you can't have fair online play it kills MP and Oleg has made sure that field was level.
Wulfmann

Jester_159th
08-18-2005, 12:49 AM
It'll be interesting to see (obviously provided it works properly) whether or not it influences the way Oleg's company are designing the campaign engine etc for thier BoB sim.

Another thing to remember though, is this one is (AFAIK) all you're going to get from this title (not necessarilly a bad thing though. Hopefully it'll mean more attention to detail on the small time scale). There's already talk of (possibly) a Mediterrainian expansion for Oleg's product. You never know..They might even do a Pacific expansion that's got flyable torpedo bombers!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

(*puts on helmet and runs for cover!*)

joeap
08-18-2005, 03:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealWulfmann:
This may have just come out but is kinda old news.
Have been following this since last year.
The radio chatter is also suppose to be very good.
I am still awaiting feedback from real pilots that do flight sims but doubt you would care to hear what they have to say seeing how they think so little of any IL-2 FMs.
Still bad FMs and all nothing comes close to MP like IL-2 series. If you can't have fair online play it kills MP and Oleg has made sure that field was level.
Wulfmann </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What real pilots? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif There are plenty who like IL-2's FMs, I can name some at the PF forum a bit further up. Another baseless statement with no facts. And the game is not "balanced" for online play, each plane has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Edit: One called TX-EcoDragon, a RW aerobatic pilot read one post he made here:
racing FM discussion (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/7581063833/p/2)
He and other RW pilots know full well the limitations of IL2 and other flight sims. Just like SH3 for subsims..btw a British vet Captain Brown tried it out and had praise and criticism of the game. I am not against Shockwaves stuff BTW nor am I anti-MS I always loved their civvie sim, just think they stumbled a bit with CFS3.

Fish40
08-18-2005, 03:31 AM
Joeap, you are right! I also read the raves of real life pilots, men who actually flew these AC, and they say it's the closest to being there. As far as the flyable carrier based torpedo planes, I think they're gonna be available with the "Milkcows" and Wolfpacks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif Regardless of these shortcomeings, these (SHIII, and IL2) are two superb sims!!

Dominicrigg
08-18-2005, 04:09 AM
Yeah, most agree that the flight models in Sturm are wicked for a household pc. Ive flown training aircraft (nothing like a fighter plane) and it feels **** good to me.

There are always some anal people who get carried away with "realism" and then those who just pretend to know what it exactly feels like to fly a sturmovik (like anyone could comment)

Even if they were exactly reproduced they wouldnt be the same because you are sat behind a desk using a keyboard/joystick and not in a cockpit with throttles ect. (unless you are so nerdy you built your own cockpit in your bedroom lol)

Hey speaking of that did anyone see that program about guys who build cockpits and have people round the world doing air traffic control ect? I spoke about it ages ago in the forums. It was Mad as! One nutter even put on a whole flight suit and mask and was heavy breathing through turns... even though there were no High Gs...

EFileTahi-A
08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Ahh Battle of Britain. I have the first Battle of Britain and the game is a fiasco. But this one impressed me too much, the bombing explosions are way too awesome!

Thansk for sharing it Dominicrigg.

TheRealWulfmann
08-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Have heard enough from Oleg and back and forth with some you disagree with.
He is building a new engine for precisely my statements and frankly what he has done with limited resources is very impressive.
When asked to discuss the matter with a top NASA aerospace engineer he declined. (He started to but when he was made aware of this person€s credentials he excused himself)
Many that do IL-2 are loyal to Oleg and that is your choice but your "There is but one God and Oleg is his prophet" is not shared by all in the flight sim world.
The comment that stated the game is not balanced but is based on the individual planes is an example of the small mindedness of the IL-2 community. Think about what I said and use some logic. I meant the planes were equal, each one of the same type. One person can not mod a 109F to be 30MPH faster. The 109Fs must maintain their specific performance. Of course each plane has its one strengths and weaknesses. That is so lame to suggest I was saying all planes are equal but only proves how some are willing to flame even when it is meant as a compliment.
I doubt any of you Olegites have ever modded CFS3. Virtually everyone in CFS3 is a former IL-2 person that wanted and was willing to make the effort to have a much better sim. The latest (not yet released 1% FMs) called 4.0 are much better than anything anyone has done but I am sure even though you have never flown them you have already decided it can€t be so. Believe what ever you want. I am not married to anything and have chosen after trying them all. But, I recommend IL-2 series to anyone not willing to get a degree in game modding as it is no small task to build a good CFS3 and even at its best the MP in IL-2 because of the level playing field, is the best for that..
We shall see what some think when €œMediterranean Air War€ is released being it is a stand alone CFS3 based game with the new 4.0 FMs and will be a CD swap. Of course one will have to have CFS3 to install off of. Is CFS3 still going for about double any IL-2 version on eBay. Why is that? (or has that changed?)
And then there is the OFF (Over Flanders Fields), a complete WWI stand alone, also a CD swap thing and the first stand alone beta of the Korean War will be updated to new standards after MAW. All free stuff and will not require doing mods. MAW will even have diving U-boats and a complete history set of missions for all the areas including the Greco-Italian war. When the Germans enter there will be a special ship in Piraeus. Anyone know about the Clan Fraser?
Some of us believe you can enjoy them both and still go to heaven!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Wulfmann

joeap
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Well I stand by my statement there were and are real pilots who like both (and dislike both) did you read what I wrote? Modding is fine, but in fact there are plenty of addons for IL2 in scripted campaigns a better dynamic campaign generator (for online campaigns too) as well as skins (which all flight sims have).

Out of the box, no comparison though.

TheRealWulfmann
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Out of the box, you are correct, there is no comparison. CFS3 is a joke out of the box. The FMs are unbelievably bad, the campaign is ridiculous and it is a MP disaster at best.

But!!

It is wide open to mod, much more than SH3 is.

The modded version is (in SP only) so much better but to do it requires so much work 99% will not want to bother.
While I said the CFS3 are all ex IL-2 people I should add that some have started to get into it and decided they would rather play a reasonable flight sim than work all the time for one that leaves them no time to play it.

I had a commercial airline pilot try them both and of IL-2 he said if planes took off and landed like IL-2 the world would be littered with crashed airplanes daily. While he felt the take off and landing of CFS3 was much better and in fact not that bad he admitted he could not be a good judge of combat FMs, honesty I appreciated as he only flew commercial up to DC-9 737 sized aircraft. The others that come on CFS3 sites included people from NASA and former fighter pilots but I am not trying to convince anyone about your flight sim. It is OT and many IL-2 people are fanatical about their loyalty to Oleg.
CFS3 have little respect for Bill gates and M$.
This new Xbox flight sim, Heroes of the Pacific at least explains why former Aces people have given very little info to advance MAW which, ironically, would help CFS3 sales, but M$ can afford to stroke their ego and screw themselves. The correct water had to be figured out almost from scratch (not in the incomplete SDK released). Korea did not have water, just blue painted ground which was a bummer. Bombs leave craters in the ocean, LOL, seriously.
After MAW we will update Korea, particularly the water, which has been getting a renewed interest because of the Saber-Mig battles. There was little anti-ship stuff in Korea anyway. Had the water not been solved, MAW would likely not continued.

Wulfmann

Poacher886a
08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I think im going to buy this...

My question is:Is there any rough date on Olegs BoB sim yet.ie,this year next year etc..

And are the Graphics on the BoB wings11 4yrs better than IL2??

Dominicrigg
08-18-2005, 07:07 PM
No offence to the guy flying commercial aircraft but its a whole different ballgame.

Most commercial aircraft pilots who started in the military will tell you that.

There was a program here recently where they had a competition to fly a spitfire, and they had RAF trainees and also amongst them a commercial pilot. He couldnt get the hang of the controls and said they were terrible, too responsive. They had to land the plane for him also.

I have had a go on a commercial jumbo simulator and an RAF simulator (the ones you get inside which people train in) i would tell you the commercial jumbo trainer was unbelievably easy! A kid could fly one.

That said because i was being cocky the guy in the control room hit me with 2 engine fires lol, and i died with everyone on board. Once you lose all the fly by wire you are dead, im in awe of commercial pilots who manage to actually land damaged jumbos ect. It was very interesting!

TheRealWulfmann
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Not sure how you just see what you want to Dom as I said the commercial pilot said just that. But, he also flew many small aircraft single engine aircraft and that was what he was referring to..
In IL-2 I can bounce down the runway 100 feet in the air repeatedly without crashing.
Are you saying that is correct?
I once kicked the throttle open on a 109, spun the plane a 360 and took off across the field in between parked aircraft and lifted off. Kinda fun, but not very real
In CFS3 if you bounce 20 feet you will likely not survive.
There was an unusual thing in AI landing in CFS3. They never did.
You landed but they flew away. Thought it was weird or stupid.
When I started building the missions for the Korean add on I did not know about the air brakes for the F-86 so could not get the darn thing to stop or slow down enough to land it. I kept going around further away and cut the engine to just above stall and finally got the thing to land. As I was touching down my 3 wingmen landed coming towards me and I passed them totally shocked. A little checking later and it turned out the AI do land. But, the landing sequence does not start when you arrive at the base. It starts the circle. The AI fly 8 miles out and align with the runway and land one at a time. If they come in too high, they turn about and start all over. This was amazing to me as I had no idea about this. So I built a bunch of missions to test all the different planes in the BoB set because some were not arriving back at base (FW200). Something never considered in all the add on aircraft was AI landing characteristics because we didn€t know they landed as dumb as that sounds.
But, I would follow the planes out the 8 miles and stay 500 meters away (their safe space is 500 or they react to player and won€t land). Lo and behold the FW200 was bouncing about 50 feet on landing and crashing, breaking its back. They actually were very weak and this did occur on landing. The other planes all landed fine but the bf-109 had the most landing crashes. Sound familiar?
Well the player€s aircraft actually lands more realistic in CFS3 but I always missed the traffic jam of IL-2 with the controller squawking (Nicht Landen Bitte Holden, Nicht Landen!!!)
If you have ever flown CFS3 add on aircraft you would know how much more realistic they land and take off. The latest 109E actually dips its left wing and is a bear on take off. When I flew it I thought I was reading the allied assessment of the plane.
Enjoy what ever makes you happy. But, if you want to fly some of the later CFS3 aircraft and judge them that would be more credible than assuming they are not as good because , well I don€t know because, there is none~!
Wulfmann