PDA

View Full Version : Weather in PF's

walsh2509
09-24-2004, 09:05 PM
I seen a video of a landing and the ship was rolling and the sky was misty grey and lightening forks spilt the sky...

but the one thing I noticed about that scene was the sea was calm? if that was supposed to be stormy weather, rain and lightening storms I would have thought the seas would be high , as I said in the video the aircraft carrier was rolling and it looked very good, expect that the sea seemed flat, just like in the other videos when it was clear skies and sunny..

In stomry weather will we see the waves and spray...( as in the weather from the video of Silent Hunter 3 )?

Thanks .......

walsh2509
09-24-2004, 09:05 PM
I seen a video of a landing and the ship was rolling and the sky was misty grey and lightening forks spilt the sky...

but the one thing I noticed about that scene was the sea was calm? if that was supposed to be stormy weather, rain and lightening storms I would have thought the seas would be high , as I said in the video the aircraft carrier was rolling and it looked very good, expect that the sea seemed flat, just like in the other videos when it was clear skies and sunny..

In stomry weather will we see the waves and spray...( as in the weather from the video of Silent Hunter 3 )?

Thanks .......

VW-IceFire
09-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Well they were using "Perfect" water which is what used to be adored as being the best of effects possible on the cards we were using. Perfect water is just flat like Excellent water (and lower) but with fancy pixel shaders. The texture effect is definately different in a storm just like it is in FB. But to have really rough seas then you want Level 3 Perfect water which is available only on the GeForce 6800 (as far as we've been told so far). That'll have choppy waves.

LEXX_Luthor
09-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Grafix engine made to model Pond Water.

You dont' see reflections off ocean water like that but very rarely. And you never see the colour of ship decks reflecting off ocean or pond water, unless the ship is capsizing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ... something they noticed over at the sinhq.

Fliger747
09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
At sea, the state of the waves often has little to do with local conditions. The frequent thundershowers in the intertropical convergence zone (where much of PF will take place) can really flatten out the water! Now if the storms are associated with a tropical depression or TYPHOON, another matter as the storm is persistant and covers a large area and can really get the sea state going!