PDA

View Full Version : Man! those tanks and arty are small!

Jersey_Seven
01-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi folks. I'm just getting serious about all things IL2 (both FB and PF). Back in IL2 I'm trying some missions in a Ju87 against tanks and artillery. My vision in the game is apparently as bad as in real life. I can't see the buggers well enough to dive bomb.

Just for fun I turned on invulnerability and flew around about 40 m over the battlefield. When I got nearly on top of them they were still only about 0.5 cm on the screen. And well-camoflaged to boot! No wonder I couldn't see them at all from dive-bombing altitude.

I've tried the padlock enemy ground key, but it seems to select only certain items (usually not the targets I'm interested in). And even then, it just looks like its pointing at vacant fields.

Do any of you experts have success with dive-bombing vehicles? If so, how do you spot them in the first place?

Thanks much!

J_S

Jersey_Seven
01-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi folks. I'm just getting serious about all things IL2 (both FB and PF). Back in IL2 I'm trying some missions in a Ju87 against tanks and artillery. My vision in the game is apparently as bad as in real life. I can't see the buggers well enough to dive bomb.

Just for fun I turned on invulnerability and flew around about 40 m over the battlefield. When I got nearly on top of them they were still only about 0.5 cm on the screen. And well-camoflaged to boot! No wonder I couldn't see them at all from dive-bombing altitude.

I've tried the padlock enemy ground key, but it seems to select only certain items (usually not the targets I'm interested in). And even then, it just looks like its pointing at vacant fields.

Do any of you experts have success with dive-bombing vehicles? If so, how do you spot them in the first place?

Thanks much!

J_S

VW-IceFire
01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Recent patches make things easier...still its hard to see. I usually padlock from the exterior to see targets but not all servers online allow that and thats not good enough for all.

The only thing to do is use the DEL key to narrow your visual angle so you can see things further off. It works, but you spend alot of time looking...

aerick2
01-16-2005, 02:59 PM
If you want to use the padlock views, try F7, I think the command is "padlock nearest ground target" or something like that.

P.S. just wait, soon this thread will become another "full real vs. arcade" argument.

Chuck_Older
01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
That's F5

Padlock isn't arcade. Padlock is included for those who have no recourse for view control.

The world wasn't born with trackir stuck to their heads

some folks still fly with a keyboard (!)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
01-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Salute

Padlock and then use your zoom key to determine what type of vehicle. Do you spotting from around 3000 meters. That is low enough to see clearly, but high enough that the light Flak can't really hit you. (watch out for heavy flak though)

Padlock is very important to have enabled in situations such as when enemy and friendly vehicles are in close proximity.

The debate between "no padlock", and "padlock" usually comes down to between those who have Track IR, ("no padlockers") and those who don't. ("Padlockers").

The fact is, that padlock does a good job of simulating the ability of the human head to track a target, in the abscence of a viewing system which allows the same.

The existing keypad view system is crude at best, and for example, when trying to follow an enemy aircraft which goes out of the frontal view upwards, one has to switch to the "up" view, which sometimes takes the view too far so that the enemy aircraft is out of sight below the bottom of the frame. Similar things happen when looking up and behind. as an aircraft moves up beyond the side views.

Griffon_25th
01-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I dont have track IR but im good at using my HAT lol. And it helps to get a 3d picture in your head of the situation, then you can sorta fly around with out always looking at the ground.

tanks are small though. You could use the zoom in key, but then its even tougher to focus on one thing. Im rambling lol sorry.

ElAurens
01-16-2005, 03:37 PM
What resolution are you running Jersey_Seven? What size monitor?

The various combinations of resolution setting and monitor size can have a huge effect on ground object vis. Don't go any higher than 1024x768 for monitors of 17" or less.

FoolTrottel
01-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I do have Track-IR, but padlock or keys like F7, F6, Shift-F6 still come in handy!

Dive bombing a single vehicle is very difficult.
Go for a group of vehicles, or save your precious bombs for larger targets.
Attacking vehicles is better done in other planes, like the IL-2, loaded with heavy canons and rockets..
Try Ju87 G-1 or IL-2 3M, both have 2x37mm canons...
(Too bad the Hurricane MkIID equipped with 2x40mm canon ('CanOpener') is not in there...

Have fun!

aerick2
01-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Chuck-- I was referring to the external padlock. It's F7 alright.

DarkCanuck420
01-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I just hate that objects just appear like magic when you approach! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

If that were a type of cammo it would still be effective today.

================================================

Jersey_Seven
01-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Thank you all for the advice.

I never realized that the zoom function worked for padlocked targets. Very nice!

I'm running at 1152x864 on a 19" CRT. I increased it from 1024x768 because 4x AA just didn't seem to get rid of the artifacts enough at that resolution and 8xS reduced the frame rate too much (GeForce6800GT driver ver. 67.02).

I can see that I'll be spending a lot of time in this game. With all of the planes, maps and the DCG, there's enough here for years of flying!

J_S

jjan
01-16-2005, 08:45 PM
this trakir thing sounds cool but if you don't have the loot for it just fly with your left hand and look with your right on the mouse,you get your right hand dedicated to all the button mashind and it doesn't take long for your left to pick up on the joystick.it's the way to go if you're a big first person shooter and used to looking with your mouse.

BBB_Hyperion
01-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Try to force z buffer to 16 bit needed on some cards.