PDA

View Full Version : 40mm bofors AA needs attention...

tomtheyak
01-09-2006, 02:34 PM
The guns have a waaaay too long ground engagement distance. I've seen on the normandy map airbases equipped with these weapons firing at enemy ground targets out to distances of approximately 10Km, particularly without line of sight, when dedicated artillery pieces (M2a 105mm) are not engaging at that distance.

Seems a little ridiculous, with the added problem for me that when you have a number (6/7) of airfields with 3/4 of these weapons all engaging along a frontline that it really hits my framerates.

tomtheyak
01-09-2006, 02:34 PM
The guns have a waaaay too long ground engagement distance. I've seen on the normandy map airbases equipped with these weapons firing at enemy ground targets out to distances of approximately 10Km, particularly without line of sight, when dedicated artillery pieces (M2a 105mm) are not engaging at that distance.

Seems a little ridiculous, with the added problem for me that when you have a number (6/7) of airfields with 3/4 of these weapons all engaging along a frontline that it really hits my framerates.

Choctaw111
01-09-2006, 05:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtheyak:

Seems a little ridiculous, with the added problem for me that when you have a number (6/7) of airfields with 3/4 of these weapons all engaging along a frontline that it really hits my framerates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the 40mm Bofors did have a range of over 10km. It does seem strange that larger cannon are not engaging though.

Grey_Mouser67
01-09-2006, 06:50 PM
They seem a bit inaccurate...at least when some guy is on my six and I'm dragging him back to those things to kill him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ECV56_Rolf
01-10-2006, 09:10 AM
All artillery units have their range diminished after 4.0

And funny... the effective altitude of boffors weren't 4000m?

bolillo_loco
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Rolf, the topic starter is speaking about horizontal range not verticle. The maximum range a 40mm bofors could shoot is about 12 - 13km. Well with in the range that the topic starter is speaking of. Why they would shoot that far is beyond me. The bofors we have in game is a direct fire weapon not an indirect fire weapon, so why would it be shooting at something that it cannot establish a line of sight with? Other than the obvious answer, "AI is computer controlled," hence it has the "all seeing eye" if you will.

It is entirely possible that the 40mm bofors has greater horizontal range than the 105mm howizter. Do you know what the specific model of 105mm howitzer that is in the game? I served on several different artillery pieces from 105mm up to and including 203mm howitzers and the 175mm gun. I think we used the M-101, 105mm howitzer and its maximum horizontal range was in the order of 10 - 11km or slightly less than that of the 40mm bofors.

lowfighter
01-12-2006, 03:04 AM
There is a cure for this problem: open the mission in Full Mission Builder, click on a bofor to select it, go to view-&gt;object-&gt;properties and you'll have an option (don't remember exactly the name) of the range (in meter) within which the gun will open fire. Reduce it as you want. You have to do the same with all other AA's which are in the mission. If you're familiar with editing missions with notepad you can do that also there, particularly useful if there are many AA in the mission.

Kocur_
01-13-2006, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, the 40mm Bofors did have a range of over 10km. It does seem strange that larger cannon are not engaging though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ballistic range has very little to do with ranges of practical shooting. Noone fired a WW2 era 40mm L/60 Bofors at targets further than, say 5km. And noone fired that gun otherwise than direct fire (or LOS).

BTW: WW2 era Bofors and all other automatic cannons projectiles had impact fuzes only (plus self destruction device). No proximity fuze, no time fuzes. So next time you get hit by fragments of automatic cannon exploding near you...