PDA

View Full Version : Music and SH3 question

Dingzoom
11-13-2005, 05:48 AM
I just downloaded & tried to install "WWII Tunes.zip and I can't get it to work.

first unzipped it into my MODS folder & activated it with my "jsgme installer" but it won't work via the gramophone selection in the game.

next I unziped it into the SH3/data/Sound/Gramophone
but it still won't work...

I have all sounds turned to max in the game & the MUSIC box is checked.

is the gramophone the only music source in SH3?

Is there another place to turn the sound up other then in options.

I've looked in the radio room & tried to turn up the volumn dial but it doesn't seem to be workable..

what am I doing wrong here? I just can't seem to get any thing into the correct sequence to work...bummer

Dingzoom
11-13-2005, 05:48 AM
I just downloaded & tried to install "WWII Tunes.zip and I can't get it to work.

first unzipped it into my MODS folder & activated it with my "jsgme installer" but it won't work via the gramophone selection in the game.

next I unziped it into the SH3/data/Sound/Gramophone
but it still won't work...

I have all sounds turned to max in the game & the MUSIC box is checked.

is the gramophone the only music source in SH3?

Is there another place to turn the sound up other then in options.

I've looked in the radio room & tried to turn up the volumn dial but it doesn't seem to be workable..

what am I doing wrong here? I just can't seem to get any thing into the correct sequence to work...bummer

The Avon Lady
11-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Gramophone files must be installed directly in folder \SilentHunterIII\data\Sound\Gramophone\.

Did you accidentally install a folder full of audio files into the above folder? For example:

\SilentHunterIII\data\Sound\Gramophone\WWIItunes\

or similar?

Dingzoom
11-13-2005, 06:36 AM
hmmm... I don't know.

how do I tell the difference between Gramophone files & audio files?

The Avon Lady
11-13-2005, 07:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dingzoom:
hmmm... I don't know.

how do I tell the difference between Gramophone files & audio files? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, that's not the question. The question is did you place the audio files directly into the Gramophone folder or did you place a folder, containing the audio files, into the Gramophone folder?

Also, let's eliminate the obvious. Did you press the PLAY button that is displayed after clicking on the game's Gramophone icon?

Dingzoom
11-13-2005, 07:41 AM
oh, yes... I just put the audio files into the Gramophone folder...actually, I tried it both ways..a folder with the audio files in it & then I cut & pasted the files from the folder & put the files directly into the gramophone folder...

yes, I did click the play button.

I can now (faintly) hear the Das Boot theme music pack tunes but can't hear the WWII assortment of tunes.

In options I have all sound to the 0db setting & music has a check in it.

Chrystine
11-13-2005, 09:22 AM

Hi Dingzoom,

What is the file format for those audio files? - &nd is their any €˜Readme.txt€ file that came with that collection / pack?

If there is, read it and be sure the files aren€t in need of a format conversion in order to work with the Gramophone.
I downloaded a pack some while back (can€t remember which it was anymore) which all had to be converted (one by one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) in order to work.

I€m not familiar with the <span class="ev_code_white">WWII Tunes.zip</span> pack, so no idea what those are, nor the format or any possible format editing which might be required; but if you€re mostly looking for period music for your G-phone €" I can and do highly recommend the entire series €" €˜<span class="ev_code_pink">German Hits€¦</span> (http://sh3records.realsimulation.com/)€ €" (although not all of them are German and some are English and American, some are French, etc) €" they really are exceptionally well done, perfect mix, ideal volume, clear, crisp €" nothing to €˜edit,€ and there are literally hundreds of them.

If interested in these, you can find them at the link given above €¦ Just look for those so-named€¦

Best,
..happy-listening & good hunting€¦.

~ C.

HW3
11-13-2005, 09:27 AM
It is a problem with the gramophone volume coding. What I have done is convert my music tracks to waves and then, using the Windows Recorder, double the volume and save them. I then convert them to OGG files and they work fine.

Dingzoom
11-13-2005, 10:01 AM
There is no read me with the WWII tunes.

I have something called media player on my computer but it would be easier for the devs to make the coding correct then for me to try & changes any music files...ha ha...I wouldn't have a clue where to even start or what I would be doing...I've never played music on my computer before...
It would most likely be easier to just put a cd in the cd player & turn it up loud...lol

I'll try & find the "german hits" & give that a-go though...thanks.

Dingzoom
11-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Nope...Those German hits are not any better "sound wise"...I just can't get the volume up loud enough for some reason. the volume was loud when I first installed the game a few months ago & that Das Boot theme music was very loud... now it's like half volume & I can't hear it over the loud engine/water noise.

Chrystine
11-13-2005, 04:59 PM

Hmmm€¦
That€s a new & strange one (for me) €" never heard of this issue before.

€œI have all sounds turned to max in the game & the MUSIC box is checked.€

What happens if you try un-checking that box for €˜Music?€

I€ve never had that box checked since completing the Academy on day one I installed SH III (too distracting &tc for my taste)€¦
I€ve never had any issue with audio levels, excepting on rare occasion with some certain tracks (tunes) playing on the gramophone when rigged for Silent Running, which seem a little excessively loud.

To me, it just sounds like a setting value got €˜modified€ somehow, somewhere.
Maybe you could try to €˜force€ a re-set by lowering the €˜Speech€ volume say by half, and lowering the music volume by about a quarter. Load a Patrol, Save and exit. Close the Sim.
Re-open the Sim, load that last saved Patrol, Save again and exit.
Go back to the Options Menu, and re-set them all to 100% - check and see if the volume levels re-set?

Obviously, I don€t know about any of this, and am just guessing-out-loud€¦
Couldn€t hurt to try tho€€¦

If you do give this thought a try & it doesn€t help any €" the only other thing I can think of short of a complete re-installation of SH III (and hoping for the best with that), would be HW3€s solution described above.

Best, & best of luck €¦

~ C.

Kaleun1961
11-13-2005, 06:46 PM
The music button enables or disables the music that plays in the background of the game. It is separate from the gramophone music and your only option with it is "on" or "off."

I have the WW2 Tunes pack and have found that the quality of the tracks vary. Some are very clear while others are barely audible. I suggest that you pick the ones you like, convert them to ogg format and then put them into the gramophone folder. Or, you can do what HW3 suggested and tweak them first, if you know how to do that.