PDA

View Full Version : Attacked by Phantom Corvette

Jonohana
04-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I had the strangest thing happen while playing last night. I had sunk a few ships near Bristol and was heading to my assigned patrol zone Northeast of Ireland. I was running on the surface time compressed at 256X when suddenly the time compression drops down to 8X...usually an indication that a ship is near (and visible).

I go to realtime and check the navigation map. Nothing there. I here "We're under attack" and pop up to the bridge. Directly on my 180 is a Flower Corvette closing at a distance of about 150 meters. Weather is cloudy but not foggy and visibility is OK.

I use binoculars to target the ship but nothing shows up on the nav map as though the ship is not there.

I try to man the deck gun but of course get the message about there being a storm so I can't. At this time the corvette has closed and begins ramming me. I let this go on for a minute or two out of curiosity and then when the corvette is in contact with my boat I make a full rudder turn that catches him and pulls him with me.

After completing the turn I pull away and the corvette sinks. I check my logs and I get no credit for sinking this ship, as though it never happened. I am certain that there were no planes overhead to sink him.

The only proof I have about the encounter is my hull damage that has me down to 70% hull integrity.

Anyone else have any encounters with "phantom" ships?

alphaBeta
04-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Well I have also had a Corvette come out of nowhere. However he was heading right for me, which may explain why the watch crew didn't spot him. In my case it was heading right for me broadside at 90 degrees, so I was visible, he was not. In your case I guess he just got lucky and happened to spot you.

Jonohana
04-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah maybe the corvette snuck up on me...although I did have 2 of my experienced warrant officer watchmen on deck at the time.

The weird thing is it did not show up on the navigation map even after targeting the ship.

Then it sank...I assume from the collision damage and I didn't get credit for it at all.

I know that no planes were around. What about another sub? Is that possible?

Just a weird one.

W.Irving
04-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Did it not fire on you?
It intentionally rammed you? I tried several times?

reumatiib
04-19-2005, 10:02 AM
it was just a glitch in your game. Most games have them. I used to run into it in other games all the time, like in onld DOOM where some monsters could walk through walls and couldn't be killed. That was in a DOS environment, but on a Windows platform those kind of glitches happen quiet easily.

For example the other day I surfaced and my crew did not go to the conning tower - there was no place for them there! I had to dive and resurface in order to get them there.

Its just a game, and something memory or things written to the hard drive just gets lost or twisted for a moment.

I had an old paintshow program from the DOS days of 1992. Theoretically there is no way such a program could begin to suddenly act different without a major screw up of data on the disk. But one day last December this program just started printing letters different than it had before. I thought I had had a problem on the dard drive. SO I reloaded a fresh copy from back ups on CDs, and poof - same problem still existed. SO I thought it might by my machine. So I switched machines - same problem! It was like the twilight zone or something. The bottom line is, 'glitches happen'.

reumatiib
04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh, and once in SH3 I crash dived and my crew remained on the conning tower! They were there even deep under the water. They were still there when I surfaced, none the worse for wear! I felt like giving them all the iron cross.

Its a game. Virtual reality is indeed better than reality - and even reality has screw ups from time to time.

Dominicrigg
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
It be the black pearl, rumours of her sailing off the coast of england were rife in world war 2. Some say the crew are the living dead, some say they take the crews of ships they sink to man the oars. Sometimes a mist comes with them, sometimes they just seem to appear from nowhere!

Let it be known if you see the black pearl, set for flank speed and run, or you too be put under their cursed spell and soon will sail forever in the twilight world between life and death!!

**Que spooky music and thunder in the distance**

Jonohana
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
The corvette did fire on me from about 150 - 100 meter distance and then it just rammed me. Ram, ram, ram. Then destroyed then gone.

I'm spooked. Bristol (Bermuda) Triangle?

W.Irving
04-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I have never ever been rammed...

Just spotted two burning Elcos east of Dover. I engaged two Elcos on 15 January, near Dover. It's now 3 February.

Shouldn't wounded ships head for the nearest friendly port and be deleted out of the game (or have their health restored)?

Varry-USSR-
04-19-2005, 02:14 PM
just did a patrol towars Firth of clyde, at the same hieght as liverpool i got attacked by a phantom corvette, it fired and tried to ram, never saw a WWII ship sail that fast, it disapeared as fast as it apeared. My 'best' watchcrew was on duty then, they didn't spot it, no hydrophone contact either?!!? ok, i thought this was misfortune, happy to be alive with a dammaged deckgun, flakgun con-tower, flooding in rear torpedo compartment, and a hull integrity of 40%. Carried on to Firth of Clyde, no ships at port, went back, i too saw the 2 elcos, one is smoking the other is burning, they're patroling the entrance to firth of clyde.after i surfaced once to recharge batteries i got engaged by the flaming elcos, dived and had to evade half a dozen destroyers. when i got away i headed back home, abound 50 km further i got rammed AgAIN by the same phantom corvette, not spotted again nor detected on hydrophone!!!!! so this isn't an occasional bug, in that area there is a phantom undetectable corvette!!! several players encountered it and i did twice on the same journey in the same area.
BEWARE

MMWM
04-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Had a phantom DD attack me out of nowhere. She barely bumped (and i mean barely) my stern in an attempt to ram me (in which she missed). After that i went to assign my repair crew and saw my hull was down to 26 %, and i had almost lost my stern! Quite the bump considering she barely touched me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Anyways, she sank right after that and had her stern up in the air as she would not sink. Looked funny though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fritzofn
04-20-2005, 01:04 PM
remember: waves in atlantic can have e BIIIG difference between high and low points....so, do 2*360 spinn's to be sure u didnt miss anything..

Hydrophones do NOT work on surface :P

remember in U96, when the DD suddenly comes out of no where...

Cloud_Cat
04-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Bizzare, on the last patrol i was running on the surface and got reports of being attacked. popped up on deck to have a quick look, nothing! had a word with the watch officer. he reported no visual contacts. all the time i'm getting reports of an attack. i then dived to twenty five metres or so, still reports of being attcked. Hydrophone guy gave me a bearing. but i couldn't trace the source. Made me start wondering if there was an allied sub having a pop. I don't even know if that is modelled in this game and if they are would they attack like that? anyway, went to full ahead and the reports stopped after five or so minutes.

wonder if my machine was having a skitz fit? or possibly the allies have a klingon cloaking device...

Nevermind, just another thread in the rich tapestry of sub sims.

Laters all