PDA

View Full Version : Speaker question

shadownet_spy04
08-14-2005, 05:51 AM
I am looking to buy some new speakers for my computer, the primary use will be gameing and music. My question is, is there a certain level of frequecy responce were it dosnt mmatter? Like will the sound of speakers with a frequency responce rate of 100hz-18khz sound alot better than ones with 40hz-20khz, or will that only be the case for sounds higher than 40hz.
Thanks, and any recomendations for speakers are welcome.

shadownet_spy04
08-14-2005, 05:51 AM
I am looking to buy some new speakers for my computer, the primary use will be gameing and music. My question is, is there a certain level of frequecy responce were it dosnt mmatter? Like will the sound of speakers with a frequency responce rate of 100hz-18khz sound alot better than ones with 40hz-20khz, or will that only be the case for sounds higher than 40hz.
Thanks, and any recomendations for speakers are welcome.

quillan
08-14-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't know enough of the technical details to really say, but I will tell you what I do know. First, your limiting factor will be the sound capability of your computer. Does your sound card support Surround Sound? How many channels? Once you've experienced gaming with a 5.1 or greater setup, you'll wonder how you lived without it. Secondly, how much money are you willing to spend? Klipsch makes some absolutely wonderful computer speakers, but they'll cost you three or four hundred dollars for a set. Logitech and Creative also have similar quality speakers at similar prices. I've got a cheaper Logitech 5.1 set that cost me around 70 bucks. They sound pretty good, if not quite as good as the super expensive ones.

shadownet_spy04
08-14-2005, 11:26 AM
I am willing to spend around $100, it can be a bit more or a bit less. I will go check to see if my comp suports 5.1, i will edit the result in.
EDIT: Sorry but, can anyone tell me how to find the info ^ using windows XP home edition?

quillan
08-14-2005, 01:26 PM
You'd either need to check the manufacturer of your sound card or motherboard to find out, depening on whether you use a separate sound card or built in audio chip. You could try START-->RUN-->dxiag, and then click the sound tab once it finishes, to get most of the information you want. Or head over to http://www.cpuid.com and download the most recent version of pcwizard, which will tell you just about everything you want to know.

shadownet_spy04
08-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I have a bult in audio chip and I did try the dxdiag thing but it just says what kind of sound card I have. I will download the thing. Thanks for the link, i will get right back to you when i figure it out.
EDIT: I am not good with tecnical stuff so I dont know exactly what is what but I will tell you the things that PC Wizard told me: The MIDI things have 16 channels but for all of the rest of the sound things it said I eather had stereo or Mono channels(Mostly stereo), it didnt tell exactlly how many Channels. And it didnt say if it was 5.1 compatible.

quillan
08-14-2005, 03:33 PM
It won't be, then. You'll either need to limit yourself to a 2.1 speaker setup (left and right speakers, plus a subwoofer), or purchase an add-on sound card that supports better setups. Personally, I'd recommend getting a separate sound card, both because it will sound quite a bit better than the on-board you currently have, and because on-board sound usually takes up CPU power to do the sound calculations.

shadownet_spy04
08-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Wow I had no Idea that onboard sound chips did that, thanks for letting me know. Is there A good Sound card that youcan recomend that dose not cost to much mony, I know they tend to be more expensive so anything in $150-$175 price range would be fine. Thanks again.
EDIT: Are there any here that are recomendable and at a good price?

http://shop4.outpost.com/catreq/3278
I was looking at this one.
It has a $70 rebate

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3795816?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

quillan
08-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Good card. Some people like them, some people hate Creative. Me, I've been a fan of the Creative sound cards for years now, and I have an Audigy 2 at the moment. Now, I do my shopping at Newegg, and over there I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102171

Audigy 2 ZS Gamer for $83 after mail in rebate.

shadownet_spy04
08-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks alot, I originally was looking for some new speakers because I am getting Half Life 2. Now thanks to your advice it looks like I will be playing my games at a high sound quality with 5.1 suround sound. You said you got your speakers for like $70 i belive, can you tell me were you got them and what model exactly they are. Thanks alot. Is this the model you were refering to Link (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9067)

SilentAce07
08-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Im sorry i know this is off-topic, but in shadownet-spy's sig, is freedom supposed to be spelled f-r-e-e-d-o-m-e? jw...

on-topic
I know what you guys mean about how good it sounds on a 5.1 surround. I dont have it on my pc, but i do have it on my xbox. it sounds awsome!

quillan
08-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Basically. Mine are the Z-640, which is the predecessor to that speaker set you're looking at. The sound quality is good, but not perfect. Strictly in terms of sound quality, my Infinity bookshelf speakers on my stereo are better, and my older Microsoft Digital Sound System 80 sounds better, but with the 5.1 surround sound going, it's something else. Combine a decent 5.1 speaker setup with that Creative soundcard and a game that supports it, and the EAX sound effects in the games are spectacular. It's great in multiplayer gaming, as you can hear people trying to sneak up on you.

shadownet_spy04
08-15-2005, 05:59 AM
At Offtopic guy: Yes I think it is.

At Quillan: Ok cool. What Is EAX, I used to know but I have forgoten. I know Chaos Theory Suppoerts 5.1, but dose anybody know if Call of Duty and Halo do. Also Half-Life 2. Thanks.
Also, that sound card you gave me the link to, when they say PCI interface do they meen it goes with a standard PCI Bus?
And Upon, shopping around, I found that I can get the speakers I linked to above for only $38.99, with the regular price at 79.99, this is wierd. I found it at provantige.com. Dose anybody know if they are relyable? I guess since they are an autorized dealer they must be but dose anybody have personel expereince with them??

shadownet_spy04
08-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Bump ^

shadownet_spy04
08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Sorry for the triple post but I really need to know. If the sound card is PCI interface dose that meen it uses a regular PCI bus like one someone would put a video card in? I really need to know. Thanks.

quillan
08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
The only sound card I know that uses anything other than a PCI slot is the Audigy 4, which uses a PCI-E slot. They haven't used ISA slots in over 6 years. So, yes, it will plug into a normal PCI slot.

shadownet_spy04
08-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Great thanks alot, I will order that card as soon as I can. I cant wait to get it.