PDA

View Full Version : Auto Prop Pitch Command?

e2michaelb
11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
What exactly does the "Auto Prop Pitch" command do? I assumed that when activated, it would automatically vary the prop pitch according to power setting, etc. Mine doesn't seem to do anything. When I actuate it at the beginning of a mission, the screen message says "Pitch 100%". After I have taken off, gained altitude, and reduced the power setting, I check the pitch, and it is still at 100% when I would have expected it to be lower. I have searched the current threads and found lots of discussion about different aspects of prop pitch, but no mention of the auto prop pitch function. I would like to be able to engage it when in the midst of a dogfight so as to eliminate one more thing to have to think about.

e2michaelb
11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
What exactly does the "Auto Prop Pitch" command do? I assumed that when activated, it would automatically vary the prop pitch according to power setting, etc. Mine doesn't seem to do anything. When I actuate it at the beginning of a mission, the screen message says "Pitch 100%". After I have taken off, gained altitude, and reduced the power setting, I check the pitch, and it is still at 100% when I would have expected it to be lower. I have searched the current threads and found lots of discussion about different aspects of prop pitch, but no mention of the auto prop pitch function. I would like to be able to engage it when in the midst of a dogfight so as to eliminate one more thing to have to think about.

OMK_Hand
11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi.
Aircraft equiped with automatic pitch have this enabled by default on entry into the cockpit.
Possibly when you 'activate' it, it is actually being 'de-activated'?

I think the messages are along the lines of:
Pitch 100% (de-activated. In manual mode)
Pitch auto (er, pitch auto)

The same key toggles between modes.

e2michaelb
11-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks, "O" (or should that be "Handsome"?). Your explanation makes sense to me, and seems very consistent with what I have observed. Now I am wondering if fighter pilots actually manipulated pitch while in battle, or just "set it and forgot it" until time to cruise?

LePetit_Lapin
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Sure, you can hear it changing when you have it on Auto.

OMK_Hand
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
'Handsome' is fine... lol

There's much debate about auto vs. manual here.
Go find...

Good luck.

strelnik_Sipi
11-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Auto prop pitch have only BF and FW. The rest got constant speed prop.

Sturm_Williger
11-16-2005, 05:42 AM
Did the Hellcat only have Manual Pitch ?

When flying missions with my squad and ending up in a Hellcat, PP always seems to be Manual with no way to switch it to Auto ?

XyZspineZyX
11-17-2005, 06:17 AM
The Hellcat has a Constant Speed Propeller. It isnt manual pitch, nor does it have an automatic mode. As said above, the planes with auto pitch are the 109s and the 190s. There may be others, but I havent flown ALL the planes in the sim yet. The prop pitch control on the Hellcat actually controls engine RPM. Hence the name "constant speed prop".

Sturm_Williger
11-17-2005, 06:25 AM
Riiight, but other CSP a/c seem to have the ability to set it to Auto - but not in the Hellcat ???

Now tbh, I know bupkis about RPM settings and so even with CEM on, I generally allow the Auto to do its job.

So if PP in the Hellcat and other CSP planes sets RPM, what is the Throttle's job ??
I'm never going to get the same RPMs with the throttle at 10% as 90%, even with PP on. Should throttle match PP % ?
Or is it just perhaps possible to switch the Hellcat to Auto ?

Sorry if this is the stupidest question on the boards for today, I've never gotten my head around the PP despite reading about 3-4 different tomes on the subject ( in game PP of course ).

IL2-chuter
11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Throttle is power.

Prop (as in the example of the Hamilton Standard Hydramatic) is rpm.

To use a car analogy, the constant speed prop lever would be like . . . maybe a lever for controlling the shift point on your automatic transmission. You can pick a low rpm shift point for economy or a high shift point for power. You would still use the throttle to control your power as a percentage of the power available at the current rpm.

In a real plane you would advance from , say, cruise setting by moving the prop lever (rpm) forward first then the throttle. You would bring the throttle back before the prop (rpm). The order seems to make no difference in the game.

Been flying complex planes for 28 years. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif