PDA

View Full Version : out of gas

spiffyscimitar
07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey,

I'm having trouble with my British campaign in Pacific Fighters.. they keep sending me on bombing missions three quarters across the map, and even if I keep to the mission parameters exactly I run out of fuel halfway on the return leg. I am starting with 100% fuel, and I do not have the option of taking a fuel tank with my load of bombs. The AI planes seem to make it just fine, what can I do to eek out more efficiency from of my plane?

spiffyscimitar
07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey,

I'm having trouble with my British campaign in Pacific Fighters.. they keep sending me on bombing missions three quarters across the map, and even if I keep to the mission parameters exactly I run out of fuel halfway on the return leg. I am starting with 100% fuel, and I do not have the option of taking a fuel tank with my load of bombs. The AI planes seem to make it just fine, what can I do to eek out more efficiency from of my plane?

triad773
07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Just a couple of thoughts: take less bombs, fly at a lower altitude, find a freindly base to land at closer, or start (if possible) at a closer base.

Hope some of that may help

spiffyscimitar
07-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm taking two 250 pounders, smallest load I can take, and flying as low as the rest of them. Do AI planes 'cheat' when it comes to fuel?

Yeah, so far I've crossed back into friendly teritory and landed in a field somewhere. There aren't any significantly closer bases, unfortunately.

Monty_Thrud
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
...or adjust the prop pitch for economical cruising...
...or press A, let the AI fly you there...do your duty...then press A again, for homeward bound... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

rockgardenlove
07-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Mix, and prop pitch...watch out for the AI, it sometimes will crash you randomly.

RCAF_Irish_403
07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
The British Singapore campaign is bad for this....check out Paul Lowengrins DCG Campaign editor as you can adjust a lot of things within a campaign (ie: start from an airfield closer to the action, or limit the distance your flight will fly....sometimes it sucks to fly 300Km for 2 minutes of action at the target zone)

go to airwarfare.com and find the link for DCG

Scharnhorst1943
07-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Or better yet, here is the link form Lowengrins home page to download DCG v3.28

http://www.lowengrin.com/download.php?list.3

If you need help answering questions, post here and there are several people who can help you set it up or change any settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

spiffyscimitar
07-14-2006, 06:29 PM
awesome, I'll check it out. thanks!

FritzGryphon
07-14-2006, 06:49 PM
You might try flying higher, too.

Low altitude fuel economy is bad due to thicker air, more drag. Your top speed altitude should give you good economy.

vocatx
07-15-2006, 09:46 AM
I haven't done that campaign, so I don't know what aircraft you are flying. I can tell you, though, that proper engine management can actually allow you to double the range of some of the aircraft. Learn the proper settings for economical cruising (manifold pressure and RPM) for whatever plane you are flying.

Some will tell you that knowing how to double the range of an aircraft in PF is useless because most of the maps aren't large enough to run out of fuel. I fly on-line a fairly good bit. If I can figure out how to take off with less fuel than my opponent, climb to a higher altitude, and then still have enough fuel to fight him and return to base, then I have given myself a lighter aircraft with an energy advantage. I wouldn't say that's pointless.