PDA

View Full Version : 8,8cm Deck Gun Ammunition

Panzerknacker01
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know how I can contact the development team or whomever might be the person to notify that in SHIII they have the deck gun's 8,8cm ammunition labelled wrong? The round with the short black projectile (that should also have a white tip) is the Armor-piercing (Pzgr39/1), and the longer yellow shell with the fuze is the HE (Sprgr.), not the other way around. And also there's no difference in the size of the HE vs. 'AA' shell, the difference is simply the fuze- an impact AZ23/28 for the direct-fire HE shells, and a time-delay ZtZ30 (and others) for the so-called 'AA' shells. Techncially though, I don't really believe that a U-boot's deck gun ever fired these as they're the type of shells fired by the regular Flak- an indirect fire weapon for use on high-altitude targets; the deck gun couldn't elevate high enough to really do this.

Matt

Panzerknacker01
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know how I can contact the development team or whomever might be the person to notify that in SHIII they have the deck gun's 8,8cm ammunition labelled wrong? The round with the short black projectile (that should also have a white tip) is the Armor-piercing (Pzgr39/1), and the longer yellow shell with the fuze is the HE (Sprgr.), not the other way around. And also there's no difference in the size of the HE vs. 'AA' shell, the difference is simply the fuze- an impact AZ23/28 for the direct-fire HE shells, and a time-delay ZtZ30 (and others) for the so-called 'AA' shells. Techncially though, I don't really believe that a U-boot's deck gun ever fired these as they're the type of shells fired by the regular Flak- an indirect fire weapon for use on high-altitude targets; the deck gun couldn't elevate high enough to really do this.

Matt

VikingGrandad
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I bet the incorrect colours could be fixed with a graphic mod.

The AP shells are removed in the GWX mod, as they were not used on U-boats as you point out.

I also remove the SS ammo and increase my HE accordingly.

Panzerknacker01
03-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh I'm not concerned about it in my own game, just for future reference, I hoped the creators would want to correct the mistake. Actually the gun did fire real AP ammunition, but as I said, it's a shorter black projectile with a white tip. I noticed that someone asked in another thread why armor-piercing ammunition would be necessary, well it's a case of needing to punch through thick-ish steel and detonating inside- that's what German AP shells do, as opposed to just punching holes. HE rounds would just detonate on impact, so wouldn't necessarily penetrate even the hull plating of large ships as that would necessarily be thicker steel. There is a very short delay setting on German HE fuzes that could allow them to detonate inside a soft target, but I doubt it'd have been used as the fuze itself is simply milled aluminum, so wouldn't survive impact with a steel ship's hull. AP ammunition was the only answer if detonation inside the target (to ignite fuel, set of ammunition magazines, etc.) was the desired effect.

Panzerknacker01
03-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Here's a photo of the two main types of 8,8cm round- armor-piercing on the left (Pzgr. 39/1) and high-explosive on the right (Sprgr. L/4,5), as well as a watertight container for one round (far left).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Panzerknacker/Militaria/88cmUBootMunition.jpg

VikingGrandad
03-12-2007, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panzerknacker01:
I noticed that someone asked in another thread why armor-piercing ammunition would be necessary, well it's a case of needing to punch through thick-ish steel and detonating inside- that's what German AP shells do, as opposed to just punching holes. HE rounds would just detonate on impact, so wouldn't necessarily penetrate even the hull plating of large ships as that would necessarily be thicker steel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly why AP rounds are not available in GWX - U-boats were never expected to engage armoured surface vessels (i.e. large warships) with their deck guns http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Apparently the hulls were so thin on some enemy merchant ships that the HE rounds would easily pierce the metal plate and pass through the other side of the ship.

Panzerknacker01
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I've read of AP rounds going through one Soviet tank and knocking-out another, but they're actually designed to punch through armor plate- I'm really surprised to hear that an HE shell would do that considering it's hollow and not solid hardened-steel. Amazing. Clearly the fuze malfunctioned (ha). But what I wrote about AP ammunition wasn't that it was intended to attack armored targets- it probably wasn't given that armored targets would most likely be able to shoot back- but rather to get the shell inside fuel bunkers, etc., something the HE shell wasn't expected to do readily since it had an impact fuze. But I guess it's a moot point if the type isn't included any longer- I really haven't any idea how long it was fielded with the U-boots, whether it was always carried, or not used after a time. The whole gun was certainly deemed unnecessary by the time the Type XXI design came into being afterall...

HeibgesU999
03-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I thought I read somewhere that captains used the AP rounds to "ventillate the hull" to get ships to burn faster.