PDA

View Full Version : top gaming moments of all time

MoBucks
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
ever have a moment in a videogame that you immediately know will be etched into your memory?

i call these my top gaming moments. I just got IL-2 like 3 days ago after playing the first one on gametap. so im a total " nugget? "

after getting tired of crashing my IL2s into trains for a few hours, i decided to try out the LW for a lil bit. OK here goes

The first mission was a night mission, we were warned that there were incoming bombers/fighters , and i was the rookie in the back of the runway. It finally is my turn to take off, i go full throttle but it must have been REALLY windy because full rudder barely helped me stay on the runway. In fact i was mostly on the right side. Okay now the fun part im in the air for about 3 seconds and WAM! i rip a wing off my plane after hitting a tower that was RIGHT AT THE EDGE of the frickin runway! Who does that?! Silly Germans. Much to my surprise the plane does not explode! Instead, it gently (for the most part) slams into the ground and slides about 300 feet for a gearless emergency landing straight out of the movies. Ahhh, I sighed a sigh of relief.

But this story is not over. At that EXACT moment the plane stopped and i could fly another day, i am disintegrated by 3 bombs from the enemy above. The first one was a direct hit. I dont think i'll ever forget that moment of gaming. feel free to share some of yours if you have any.

MoBucks
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
ever have a moment in a videogame that you immediately know will be etched into your memory?

i call these my top gaming moments. I just got IL-2 like 3 days ago after playing the first one on gametap. so im a total " nugget? "

after getting tired of crashing my IL2s into trains for a few hours, i decided to try out the LW for a lil bit. OK here goes

The first mission was a night mission, we were warned that there were incoming bombers/fighters , and i was the rookie in the back of the runway. It finally is my turn to take off, i go full throttle but it must have been REALLY windy because full rudder barely helped me stay on the runway. In fact i was mostly on the right side. Okay now the fun part im in the air for about 3 seconds and WAM! i rip a wing off my plane after hitting a tower that was RIGHT AT THE EDGE of the frickin runway! Who does that?! Silly Germans. Much to my surprise the plane does not explode! Instead, it gently (for the most part) slams into the ground and slides about 300 feet for a gearless emergency landing straight out of the movies. Ahhh, I sighed a sigh of relief.

But this story is not over. At that EXACT moment the plane stopped and i could fly another day, i am disintegrated by 3 bombs from the enemy above. The first one was a direct hit. I dont think i'll ever forget that moment of gaming. feel free to share some of yours if you have any.

general_kalle
01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
loads of them. loads of them. not to brag but there just is

like when i hit the pope with a Big rock from a Catapult in Medival Total war.

when i killed 9 people with a Grenade in Call of Duty.

or when i hit my own plane with a burst meant for the enemy hurricane ahed of me.

and i could go on

like when i shot 3 men with a sniper rifle in Call of duty..ah ok ill stop now

Waldo.Pepper
01-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I played a night mission a few years ago The task was Jabo with an F8. I got intercepted by a Beaufighter. I got away. (Getting away was the achievement.)

The airfield that you take off from in this mission is one of the improvised fields that are really ship objects. Trying to land on the unlit improvised field at night was almost impossible.

I made about 6 passes on the field before I was satisfied that I could get it down. I broke the tailwheel groundlooping at the end of the way too short field.

Good enough I remember thinking. Ground crew can fix the wheel in a day.

I have never flown the mission since. It was hairy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Recently, I started playing my offline campaigns with "full switch". I had tried it before, but didn't feel that my skills were up for it. I've gotten to the point now that the challenge isn't good enough unless I try "full switch".

Anyway, so I have a dgen campaign going, Spring of 1943 in Guadalcanal, flying the F4U-1A, from the TruePacific campaigns, since the ones that ship with the game don't have a Corsair campaign in Guadalcanal. I've played 10 missions, all of which have been scramble missions with anywhere from 10 to 20 Bettys and a couple of flights of Zekes. I have 17 kills, mostly Zekes. The crowning moment for me was getting 3 zekes in one mission, without taking damage or losing my wingman. As it is, I've always had a hard time against Zekes, and I really tried my best this time to make them play by my rules rather then the other way around.

With some more practice, and some patience, I think I'll be ready for a "Full Switch" server soon.

Online, just getting that first kill was an achievement.

Can't really think of anything note-worthy in other games, except maybe when I finished Baldur's Gate II, with the add-on. I felt very satisfied when I finished the game, having brought that character over from the first Baldur's Gate, all the way to the end. Couldn't do something like that now, I don't have the time.

leitmotiv
01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
When I was playing SPI's old "Operation Star" boardgame in 1980 or '81. I was the German. The situation was the massive Sov offensive toward Kharkov in the winter of 1943. I was barely holding in front of Kharkov, and I needed to slam into the Sovs with a counterattack. My only opportunity was in the south along the nasty Donets (?) river barrier. I had about five Panzer Divisions concentrated at one point (Schwerpunkt!). The only problem was that each one only had about a one-in-three, or less, chance of crossing and defeating the Sov units waiting on the other side. My opponent was grinning, sitting back, confident I was totally screwed. I had a gambler's intuition I was going to breach his river line bigtime. I attacked with each div, and each not only crossed the river, but it creamed the Sov unit on the other side leaving me with nothing in the way to cut the line of supply to the huge forces in front of Kharkov. My opponent was stunned like fish whacked on a rock. Then he cursed the dice, cursed me, cursed everything. He was kaput. I felt like a million bucks.

crucislancer
01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
My opponent was stunned like fish whacked on a rock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!! That made a nice visual.

That reminds me of the first time I played Battletech. I went to a big game a few years back, and I got thrust into it big time. I was given a full company of battlemechs, which is 12 in the game. Having only played a bit at home while reading the rules, I was stunned. It was a 8 hour game for me, and it still wasn't over when I had to leave.

My company came up against another company of mechs, which was a superior force in weight and weapons, we were at extreme range so other then a few Gauss Rifle rounds there wasn't much in the way of fire happening. Then, my opponent started having a bad run with the dice. First, one of his assault mechs fell right on an ammo location, which in turn exploded, which took that mech out completely. Then he had another one fall and lose a leg. Then, once he got a little closer to my position, he started to attack, but with the exception of a small laser hit, he didn't score anything against me. I had a couple of heavy mechs concetrate fire on one of his assault mechs, and that one was out. I was moving in a city, so using buildings as cover, so I was able to hit and fade quite a bit at that point. Most of my shots hit, most of his didn't. By the time I left, half his force was disabled or destroyed, and I still had a full company, though I had a few mechs that wouldn't last much longer. He was quite upset, considering I was a noob and he was a master.

Skycat_2
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
How about that time when I was in a maze full of edible pellets and I was being chased by four pastel-colored ghosts? I needed to get to the opposite end of the maze and eat a pretzel, but the ghosts had scattered down different passages and trying to surround me. I faked left then quickly darted right with two ghosts nipping at my heels, and just when it looked like it was all over for me and they'd turn me inside out I was able to chomp down on a super power-up pill! The ghosts turned white in fear and tried to flee but I was able to overtake them and send them all back to their holding pen...

leitmotiv
01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Well done, C! You just reminded me of an even more glorious reduction. It was in a miniatures game in a wargame convention. The situation was the Ardennes 1944. My side was American. We had a platoon of infantry, and that was it. Coming right at us up the road were about two companies of German tanks and APCs. They were largely roadbound because the ground was muddy. On the sly, I asked the ref how much artillery we had. We had a lot. I called it in right in front of our dugouts. It would not arrive for several turns. The German ran a single APC right up to our dugouts. We had no antitank guns, and no bazookas. I desperately asked if we had any rifle grenades. Yes. We fired a fusillade right into the open top of the APC and blew it to bits. Meanwhile, the silly German was dithering around. If he had organized his forces, he could have driven right over us. But, losing that APC intimidated him! Well, the inevitable happened, the huge stonk I plotted came right down on his vehicles on the road. Tracks broken, APCs blown to bits, the odd tank blown up by shells landing on hatches, etc. The German was wasted. We were still hunkered down in our dugouts laughing like hyenas.

Flying_Mex
01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
I gotta say, that with this game...there have been plenty of those moments. One of the most recent was...while flying on Zekes vs Wildcats server like usual...me and a wingman had been having a few encounters with members of another squad that were flying for the Japanese.

Me and my squadmate were keeping a sharp eye out..knowing the general direction they would come, as it seemed they were hunting us as we were them. Finally we spotted them, they were about 3000 feet above of our P47's at 12 o clock in their Ki-84's. Knowing that without alt we could not compete againts them, we made a 90 degree turn and tried to get some distance to then climb and then come back on equal or better terms.
Unfortunatley, that didnt work. They spotted us and they began a slight dive towards our 6 o clock. Needless to say, it was scary, we had 4 Ki-84's coming with plenty of speed down our 6's...and againts the two of us in Jugs. We turned and enganged in a head-on...it all happened so fast that I cannot remember moment by moment, but at the end of the fight, thanks to great teamwork/commmunication, skills, and a great deal of luck...I managed to bag 2 of them, my squadmate 1, and the remaining Ki-81 was nowhere to be seen. We didnt care to be honest, we were extremely satisfied and high tailed it back home to land.

I was sweating at the end of that fight, and my heart was pumping, how we managed to pull that off I do not know...wish I had recorded it...but it seems that whenever I record anything, it ends up being a horrible flight...

JarheadEd
01-18-2008, 06:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:

That reminds me of the first time I played Battletech. I went to a big game a few years back, and I got thrust into it big time. I was given a full company of battlemechs, which is 12 in the game. Having only played a bit at home while reading the rules, I was stunned. It was a 8 hour game for me, and it still wasn't over when I had to leave.

My company came up against another company of mechs, which was a superior force in weight and weapons, we were at extreme range so other then a few Gauss Rifle rounds there wasn't much in the way of fire happening. Then, my opponent started having a bad run with the dice. First, one of his assault mechs fell right on an ammo location, which in turn exploded, which took that mech out completely. Then he had another one fall and lose a leg. Then, once he got a little closer to my position, he started to attack, but with the exception of a small laser hit, he didn't score anything against me. I had a couple of heavy mechs concetrate fire on one of his assault mechs, and that one was out. I was moving in a city, so using buildings as cover, so I was able to hit and fade quite a bit at that point. Most of my shots hit, most of his didn't. By the time I left, half his force was disabled or destroyed, and I still had a full company, though I had a few mechs that wouldn't last much longer. He was quite upset, considering I was a noob and he was a master. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it Helbie? Sounds like his dice.

crucislancer
01-18-2008, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JarheadEd:
Was it Helbie? Sounds like his dice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Yeah, you would think, huh? No, I never had the pleasure of taking him on. I can't remember the guy's name, but he knew what he was doing, that's for sure. Just had a bad run with the dice.

Did you hang out on the CBT forums? I haven't been in a couple of years.

crucislancer
01-18-2008, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Well done, C! You just reminded me of an even more glorious reduction. It was in a miniatures game in a wargame convention. The situation was the Ardennes 1944. My side was American. We had a platoon of infantry, and that was it. Coming right at us up the road were about two companies of German tanks and APCs. They were largely roadbound because the ground was muddy. On the sly, I asked the ref how much artillery we had. We had a lot. I called it in right in front of our dugouts. It would not arrive for several turns. The German ran a single APC right up to our dugouts. We had no antitank guns, and no bazookas. I desperately asked if we had any rifle grenades. Yes. We fired a fusillade right into the open top of the APC and blew it to bits. Meanwhile, the silly German was dithering around. If he had organized his forces, he could have driven right over us. But, losing that APC intimidated him! Well, the inevitable happened, the huge stonk I plotted came right down on his vehicles on the road. Tracks broken, APCs blown to bits, the odd tank blown up by shells handing on hatches, etc. The German was wasted. We were still hunkered down in our dugouts laughing like hyenas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome work! I've always wanted to play a WWII wargame, but haven't got around to it yet. One of these days, when I can find a few players I'll give it a go.

leitmotiv
01-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, the computer age has replaced miniatures. Some of the WWII titles like the Combat Mission series, and the newer Theater of War are fascinating. Not only that, now you can get in your own tank with T-34 vs Tiger when it is released in Feb.

kid_SA
01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
there was one moment that really drew me to ADW. I was flying along over Kursk, owned by my side (German). We and the enemy both had a tank advance nearby, and the city was our last remaining supply point. With proper air cover, the ground pounders could win the map or lose it.

So in this situation I cruised around, knowing that there were plenty of people on the server, knowing that this was the most likely avenue of attack, but seeing nothing and worried at my situation, alone without a wingman. I cruised at 4500m, to be high but still in a position to attack any il2 ground pounders traveling in the weeds.

As I made a slow right turn, I noticed this thing fluttering down past my plane, less than 30m away. I'd never seen anything like it and it baffled me completely. Was this a glitch? A bug? Or... oh, wait, it's an elevator or an aileron. There was this tiny moment when I nodded to myself, satisfied that the mystery was resolved, before thinking "oh, sh*t". Right above me was this massive swirling dogfight at contrail level, dozens of planes engaged, and two screaming down towards me.

What a day. I just pointed the nose down and high-tailed it out of there.

Only in ADW has such an experience occurred to me.

Waldo.Pepper
01-19-2008, 03:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
Awesome work! I've always wanted to play a WWII wargame, but haven't got around to it yet. One of these days, when I can find a few players I'll give it a go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can be instructive.

When the first Gulf War was looming, during the troop build up, but before the Air Campaign had even started. Myself and some research partners played out the war based upon what units were deployed.

I wrote a book of rules based on the predictive work of Colonel Trevor N. Dupuy. This excellent book -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/Dupuy/02-20-2007014048AM.jpg

We built a huge temporary table from some plywood, covered it with hex paper. Made units on die cut markers, and went at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/Dupuy/gw.jpg

Even though the Iraqi team members did not deploy their ground troops in the same way that the actual Iraqi national command authority did. The results PERFECTLY predicted the actual outcome. (With the exception of the Air war. The game Iraqi air force actually fought back in our simulation.)

Kaptein_Damli
01-19-2008, 05:30 AM
When I played Alone in the dark and was maybe 12-13 years old. Scary game as hell at that time! I remember fighting with a ghost with my shotgun and I was empty and he walk towards me. Scared the **** out of me. I never had the nerves to finish the game. It was too scary! It was pretty hard I think too!

I also remember lots of moments but can´t remember specific moments that well. I remeber more the good feeling I got when I was younger when new games was released. I belive I lived myself more into the game when I was younger. Having more fantasy than now. I remeber when I got C & C and Dune 2 etc. Great times!

I have great times now playing COD 4 and Insurgency. Actually I killed 7 insurgents in a row in that game yesterday with my M16. Look at www.in´smod.net (http://www.in´smod.net) for more info on the game. It´s a mod for HL2.

DuxCorvan
01-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Waldo, that's awesome. But even my granny knew what would be the outcome of that war.

And, Kaptein Damli, yes "Alone is the Dark" was really scary -and quite revolutionary for its time. I remember the beginning, when I pushed that chest over the trap door in the attic, and "something" started to growl and beat, trying to open it. It was frightening. Besides, I remember it had almost no music, just your creaking steps and weird "haunted" sounds now and then...

SeaFireLIV
01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
wow, battletech! Now that`s going FAR back. My friends and I used to have 8-10 hour long sessions nearly everyday! But to recount the good battles? nah, too long ago now. I remember clearly imagining what it would be like being in a Mech and when I finally got a PC (like 10 years later) and ran mechwarrior it was like a dream come true. But it never matched the true fun of playing with your m8s, since my friends didn`t have a PC and mechwarrior never made a truly open ended campaign system, preferring to stick to cheap linear campaigns...

What about BattleSuit? Any one remember that? We are still hoping to find that game again one day. I still want vengeance for when he placed a nuclear bomb drone on top of my bunker full of elite soldiers!

As for IL2, there have been great experiences I`ve had offline.

MEGILE
01-19-2008, 06:03 AM
An anecdote...

I once played in a COD tournement, and to decide which team got choice of defence/attack, the teams had to pistol whip each other to death at the start.

When it was all over, I was the only one standing, pistol in hand, with 19 bodies around me.

Good times.

CUJO_1970
01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
My first time playing Half-Life 2 and getting attacked by an Antlion Guard inside Nova Prospekt. All you can hear is something really big on the other side of those doors and then all hell breaks loose.

Also, the first gunship attack and trying to shoot that thing down with a laser guided rocket launcher...

Of course, IL2 has provided many - as well as the original Splinter Cell. STALKER has had some great moments.

Xiolablu3
01-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Mine have to be from Half life1, Deus Ex and Doom.

3: Halflife1, being thrown into a hige story in first person with no cut scenes, jumping up the rocks on the huge cliff side into the sewer pipe, fantastic.

2: Deus Ex 1 : The game for once wasnt TELLING me where I had to go, I could CHOOSE, and I had multiple ways of taking on the objective, amazing.

1: Doom : There was a big room with hundreds of Demons and Hell Knights with their back to me, the moment I started firing I was cut down, I struggled for a long time wondering how to do it.

Finially I thought, I will wait a bit, at one point a single Hell knight saw me and launched off a fireball, it hit a demon, the demon hit back and shot at the Hellknight, suddenly the whole room erupted, Demons and Hell KNights wasting each other in massive numbers, THEY WERE FIGHTING EACH OTHER.

I only had to pick off the weakened stragglers at the end of it all.

That part of doom might seem generic and normal to some of our younger viewers, but that was the first time anything like that had happened to me in a computer game.

Wepps
01-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Flew one mission here in VEF with a bunch of crazy Ukranians. Didn't understand a word, but some things just transcend language.

We went up and I was with them. Then I heard them say something, and they were GONE. I looked all over the place for them, couldn't find them. So I figured to heck with it. I saw the airfield in the distance and decided to go CAP it or land.

Saw nothing near the airbase, so gear down and I'm on final approach and from below in front rises up a Bf109 right into my gunsights. I LOL, and blow him out of the sky just as tracers start flying by my MiG and my wing catches fire.

****, gear up, I hit the brakes and the 2nd guy flies into my sights too. 2 down. The third one didn't pull up in time just as I throttled up an inch over the ground. 3 down.

Then I realized the airbase AA was firing on ME! It was the German airfield! I took out an AA position on the way over, then went high figuring my fuel would run out if I didn't explode.

At this point the Ukranians are in the pattern at our real airfield, so I announce I'm coming in really hot, like literally. But the fire went out and I ran out of fuel. Okay I didn't explode but I was full of holes and it was hard to aim that aircraft at anything.

At any rate, trailing smoke I made a perfect landing to the cheers of my new friends. LOL

That was a fun one. I have no idea how I got out of that alive!

SeaFireLIV
01-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok, i`ve been thinking a bit about some of my top PC gaming moments (not board or role playing games, too long ago).

1. When I first had Mechwarrior and bought a FF Sidewinder joystick... I was pounding along in my Madcat with a Madcat Wingman when i came across 2 mechs duking it out on my distant 10 o`clock. I turned and made for it (my sidewinder FF stick shaking with every step of my Mech).

Suddenly, I was hit on my right side hard by several high explosive rockets from an enemy Thor I hadn`t noticed on my 3 o`clock. My Force feedback joystick jerked hard to the left from the impact almost throwing me! Combine that with the view of the screen twist shake and the cockpit alarm sounds at the same time and for a glorious second it felt as if I was really in that Madcat taking hits from the enemy. It just felt so realistic. I swung my torso around immediately and engaged. never forgot that moment. I even made a short comic from that for a while just because of that moment.

2. Half life 1.
I was in some kind of room with a bridge leading across to an entrance away. suddenly, everything started falling apart. the floor collapsed, pipes fell about sparking electricity. I had no idea what to do, but knew I had to do something. Lterally acting by instinct, I just ran and dodged and jumped to the other side while the whole place fell apart and made it - first time! I had no idea just how spammily lucky I had been until I tried it again and it took me 10 tries to succeed second time round!

3. Oblivion. made more realistic and harder with mods. music off. 1st person view (I never do 3rd person).

I had just been attacked by bandit brigands. It was a very bloody fight. They tried to surround me, but i parried the first and had a lucky strike cleaving off the head of that one. As he staggered back headless, the second came in, hitting me hard, I held - then I bashed him back with my shield and killed him with a strike of my blade. The last one ran away.

Feeling a bit tired, but pleased, I decided to just look at the dead person who I had just killed. I took off the helmet - a woman. Quite pretty too... I heard a pattering of feet getting louder, pum, pum, PUM!

I threw my shield up just in time to take a full blow from a massive Orc wielding a warhammer. I was staggered back and while staggering, he hit me again. the warhammer really knackered me, one more hit and that would be it. In panic, I simply swung my sword from left to right maniacally. I was finished.

The Orc screamed in pain and collapsed to its knees. I looked - stunned. In my desperate defence I had chopped off the hands of the creature and now it just knelt there, swaying in pain. Before I could end its misery, it collapsed.

*(This reminded me a lot of the film Conan the barbarian where near the end he stares at the warrior who`s just been impaled then gets surprise attacked by the other warrior and is in trouble).

Now that I remember. This is of course only possible with the Oblivion mods. Oblivion default was nothing like as good.

ONLINE:
When I joined my first online Mech Squadron. that was great. I had to prove my worth by taking on junior members of Mechwarrior then see how well I did against the boss. Nerve-wracking for a nood like me at the time.

There are more, but that`ll do for now.

Bearcat99
01-19-2008, 09:29 AM
The two most memorable moments for me both involve simming... one was shortly after I got CFS1.. I was on the tail of a 109.... and as I closed in for the kill I began to have an odd biological response... similar to the rush one experiences when indulging in certain chemical recreational activities... Totally blew me away as I had not done anything along thos elines for years... the other time was when around the first week I got IL2... Ecverything about it.. the sounds... the graphics.. the FMs.. it was all so different.. I remember watching a track of a P-39.... and a flak burst blew a wheel out of it's well... my jaw hit the floor.. and I knew I was in trouble.

AFJ_rsm
01-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Enjoyed reading through your last post Seafire, those were some pretty cool moments right there!

SeaFireLIV
01-19-2008, 09:53 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
1. When I first had Mechwarrior and bought a FF Sidewinder joystick... I was pounding along in my Madcat with a Madcat Wingman when i came across 2 mechs duking it out on my distant 10 o`clock. I turned and made for it (my sidewinder FF stick shaking with every step of my Mech).

Suddenly, I was hit on my right side hard by several high explosive rockets from an enemy Thor I hadn`t noticed on my 3 o`clock. My Force feedback joystick jerked hard to the left from the impact almost throwing me! Combine that with the view of the screen twist shake and the cockpit alarm sounds at the same time and for a glorious second it felt as if I was really in that Madcat taking hits from the enemy. It just felt so realistic. I swung my torso around immediately and engaged. never forgot that moment. I even made a short comic from that for a while just because of that moment.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome!

I remember the first time I played Mechwarrior 2 online. There was a group on AOL that used a duel system like the Clans in Battletech. I only tried it once, but it was fun. I went up against a Timberwolf (Madcat for you I.S. folks), me in a Summoner (Thor). Jump jets were my friend. I picked that guy apart in a 10 minute duel. All he had left was a small laser by the time I was finished with him.

Mechwarrior 3 was perhaps my favorite, still have it though I haven't played it for a while.

It would be nice if someone would come out with a 5th one. It would really benefit from a MMO approach, IMHO. But, Microsoft has the rights to the video games, and they aren't doing much with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

crucislancer
01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
The two most memorable moments for me both involve simming... one was shortly after I got CFS1.. I was on the tail of a 109.... and as I closed in for the kill I began to have an odd biological response... similar to the rush one experiences when indulging in certain chemical recreational activities... Totally blew me away as I had not done anything along thos elines for years... the other time was when around the first week I got IL2... Ecverything about it.. the sounds... the graphics.. the FMs.. it was all so different.. I remember watching a track of a P-39.... and a flak burst blew a wheel out of it's well... my jaw hit the floor.. and I knew I was in trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's how I felt when I first played IL-2. Having come from EAW, I was stunned, amazed, and thrilled all at the same time, for all the same reasons you mentioned above.

leitmotiv
01-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I came to IL-2 AEP right from CSF2. I was bowled over completely.

bigbossmalone
01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Most of my best gaming moments have come from IL2 - after 7 years of playing this sim, it still has that 'random' feeling of being in a war, where you could be taken out from unexpected events.
Funny, back as late as 1998, I was not into flight sims much - I found them all a bit bland. Used to love FPS and strategy games. My first real love was Battlezone II - after IL2 arrived on the scene, and I bought it on a whim - there's been no looking back for me - I was taken in hook, line and sinker, and still loving every minute of it! Nowadays, sims like IL2 and SH3 are my favorites, although I still like my WW2 RTS games, like Codename: Panzers, Company of Heroes, and the like...

Waldo.Pepper
01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Waldo, that's awesome. But even my granny knew what would be the outcome of that war. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dux 'ol bean, I am almost shocked at your susceptibility to hindsight. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Your Granny knew the most of everyone, perhaps.

I remember there being considerable opinion at the time that the Iraqis would do better (I.E. cause far more casualties among the coalition forces) that they did. Certainly not that they would prevail.

The coalition authorities were shocked and pleased that their casualties were as light as they were.

Opinion at the time was at best divided.

Colonel Trevor N Dupuy also wrote, before the ground war started this book -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/Dupuy/DuuySadamn.jpg

Which predicted accurately the attack plan that was used. Cool beans. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Here in the U.S., the news media had us prepared for a bloodbath, and for horrible casualties from biological and chemical weapons. 20/20 Hindsight is a wonderful luxury. Did Dupuy (I know his work, it's great) predict the lengthy bombing campaign, WP?

Waldo.Pepper
01-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Did Dupuy (I know his work, it's great) predict the lengthy bombing campaign, WP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed.

I shall let Col. Dupuy answer with his own words and you can make the assessment of how he did.

A selection from Chapter 12 with all the detailed math redacted, for the sake of brevity) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

'The Decision THE ALTERNATIVE COURSES OF ACTION

It will be remembered from Chapter 4 that the five principal courses of action are:

" Operation "Colorado Springs." This is a two-phased air campaign which in its first phase is directed against the general war-making capability of Iraq. The second phase is to be directed against the Iraqi ground forces deployed in and near Kuwait. This is not really an alternative course of action, but rather is seen as a preliminary to all of the four possible alternative ground courses of action. This course of action might conceivably cause so much damage to the Iraqi military establishment as to bring about a surrender, thus obviating the need for any of the ground courses of action. This, however, is far from certain; a ground army has never before been defeated by the application of airpower only.

Operation "Bulldozer." This is a classic "attrition warfare" scenario, a frontal attack against the fortified positions of the Iraqi South Kuwait Defensive Force, using firepower and brute force (which are available in abundance) to overwhelm the defenders.

Operation "Leavenworth." This scenario, also directed against the South Kuwait Defensive Force, is intended to accomplish the same purpose as "Bulldozer," but to put more emphasis on maneuver by carrying out a double-envelopment, using armor as the maneuvering force on the left (west), and two Marine Expeditionary Brigades (MEBs) as the amphibious spearhead of the maneuvering force on the right (east).

Operation "RazzleDazzie." This is similar in concept to "Leavenworth," but the envelopments are deeper. It envisages two wide turning movements (or strategic envelopments), combined with an air assault, to encircle all Iraqi forces in Kuwait.

Operation "Siege." This scenario provides for a two-phased ground operation. The first phase will be carried out simultaneously with an open-ended continuation of the second phase of "Colorado Springs." The principal activity in this first phase will be a series of relatively small-scale probes carried out along the fronts of both the Eastern and Western armies against the positions of both the South Kuwait Defensive Force and the South Iraq Defensive Force. No major ground offensive will be undertaken during this phase, which will last for a week or more. Syrian and Turkish forces, along Iraq's northwestern and northern frontiers, will be urged to carry out similar probes of Iraqi defensive positions on those frontiers. The second phase will be one of the other three ground options ("Bulldozer," "Leaven-worth," or "RazzleDazzle"), as seems most appropriate at the time."

I have removed the bulk of this Chapter from here and here is Col Dupuy's concluding paragraph of Chapter 12. When he refers to the above figures, this is the part I have cut. If anyone is interested enough and wants it I can make the Chapter into a pdf and stick it on zshare).

"If the above figures are close to accurate (and history tells us they should be), then the proper solution is to begin the war with the air campaign of Operation "Colorado Springs." If this should result in an Iraqi surrender, so much the better. If not, then after about ten days of "Colorado Springs," to continue the air campaign for about ten more days while initiating Operation "Siege." If this should not bring about an Iraqi surrender, the ground campaign should be concluded with Operation "RazzleDazzle." If this has not brought about an Iraqi surrender, then an advance should be made through the desert to destroy any resisting Iraqi forces and to occupy Baghdad if necessary."

==

For my money Col. Dupuy got it almost exactly right. In his modelling the Air Campaign was shorter at only 20 days.

It was interesting to watch the world that year. What a difference a little over a decade makes.

knightflyte
01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Obviously IL2 is the top gaming memory.

But the most vivid is the first time I was sitting in the cockpit of an FW190 on the runway waiting to take off. It was lightly snowing, and seemed almost peaceful. The sky was pinkish gray with a heavy cloud cover. Sturmoviks were in bound and I was 3rd or 4th in line. All of a sudden the AA starts firing. Panic sets in and I'm wondering when the heck do I take off. I can now see the Il2s off on my distant 10 O'Clock. Not far at all now. The guy in front of me starts to rev his engine and take off. I'm not far behind. I'm nervous as hell because I don't want to get blown up. I want to protect MY FIELD. MY HOME. I push the throttle forward and roll forward. The AA's fire fiercely along the run way as I pass each one. My tail lifts, my nose levels and I discover I'm only scant feet behind my wingman. oh Shiit! BOOM! Off to my right is a heavy explosion of parked airplanes. I lift off and ensue the battle careful not to hit my wingman as I lift my main gear. Then a Sturmovik slides left to right infront of me. WOAH!!!!!!!

I don't remember if I shot any Sturmoviks down or even landed, but that 2 minutes of waiting was heart thuddingly intense.

Another IL2 moment was the 109 single mission where there are inbound IL2's protected by LaGG3s. My job was to get the Sturmoviks. I'm at 2500 meters and I swoop down to come up from underneath and behind.

All is going well. I pass the first one (fourth in the row) and get a few shells into him, but my speed takes me past him quickly. I continue onto the next one firing all the way. That pilot panics and drops his load right onto my plane as I pass underneath. BLACK SCREEN!!!!!!!!! Couln't help but laugh. I had to rewatch the track to be certain what happened.

Shooting bomber formations with a Track IR for the first time. I'd slide past them almost close enough to see the expression on the faces of the ditching crew, and the engines leaving a trail of fire behind. As I went by I looked up and starboard to watch the bomber drift behind me as I sped on by. Effortlessly and a hella cool experience for the first time.

Copperhead311th
01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
An anecdote...

I once played in a COD tournement, and to decide which team got choice of defence/attack, the teams had to pistol whip each other to death at the start.

When it was all over, I was the only one standing, pistol in hand, with 19 bodies around me.

Good times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reach in your back pocket....
pull out your wallet.....
look at it closely.....

Now tell me...does it say Bad mofo on it anywhere. lol

i'd like to have seen that. lol

hmm maybe time to reinstall CoD 2.
wonder if anyone still plays online?

leitmotiv
01-20-2008, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Did Dupuy (I know his work, it's great) predict the lengthy bombing campaign, WP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed.

I shall let Col. Dupuy answer with his own words and you can make the assessment of how he did.

A selection from Chapter 12 with all the detailed math redacted, for the sake of brevity) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

'The Decision THE ALTERNATIVE COURSES OF ACTION

It will be remembered from Chapter 4 that the five principal courses of action are:

" Operation "Colorado Springs." This is a two-phased air campaign which in its first phase is directed against the general war-making capability of Iraq. The second phase is to be directed against the Iraqi ground forces deployed in and near Kuwait. This is not really an alternative course of action, but rather is seen as a preliminary to all of the four possible alternative ground courses of action. This course of action might conceivably cause so much damage to the Iraqi military establishment as to bring about a surrender, thus obviating the need for any of the ground courses of action. This, however, is far from certain; a ground army has never before been defeated by the application of airpower only.

Operation "Bulldozer." This is a classic "attrition warfare" scenario, a frontal attack against the fortified positions of the Iraqi South Kuwait Defensive Force, using firepower and brute force (which are available in abundance) to overwhelm the defenders.

Operation "Leavenworth." This scenario, also directed against the South Kuwait Defensive Force, is intended to accomplish the same purpose as "Bulldozer," but to put more emphasis on maneuver by carrying out a double-envelopment, using armor as the maneuvering force on the left (west), and two Marine Expeditionary Brigades (MEBs) as the amphibious spearhead of the maneuvering force on the right (east).

Operation "RazzleDazzie." This is similar in concept to "Leavenworth," but the envelopments are deeper. It envisages two wide turning movements (or strategic envelopments), combined with an air assault, to encircle all Iraqi forces in Kuwait.

Operation "Siege." This scenario provides for a two-phased ground operation. The first phase will be carried out simultaneously with an open-ended continuation of the second phase of "Colorado Springs." The principal activity in this first phase will be a series of relatively small-scale probes carried out along the fronts of both the Eastern and Western armies against the positions of both the South Kuwait Defensive Force and the South Iraq Defensive Force. No major ground offensive will be undertaken during this phase, which will last for a week or more. Syrian and Turkish forces, along Iraq's northwestern and northern frontiers, will be urged to carry out similar probes of Iraqi defensive positions on those frontiers. The second phase will be one of the other three ground options ("Bulldozer," "Leaven-worth," or "RazzleDazzle"), as seems most appropriate at the time."

I have removed the bulk of this Chapter from here and here is Col Dupuy's concluding paragraph of Chapter 12. When he refers to the above figures, this is the part I have cut. If anyone is interested enough and wants it I can make the Chapter into a pdf and stick it on zshare).

"If the above figures are close to accurate (and history tells us they should be), then the proper solution is to begin the war with the air campaign of Operation "Colorado Springs." If this should result in an Iraqi surrender, so much the better. If not, then after about ten days of "Colorado Springs," to continue the air campaign for about ten more days while initiating Operation "Siege." If this should not bring about an Iraqi surrender, the ground campaign should be concluded with Operation "RazzleDazzle." If this has not brought about an Iraqi surrender, then an advance should be made through the desert to destroy any resisting Iraqi forces and to occupy Baghdad if necessary."

==

For my money Col. Dupuy got it almost exactly right. In his modelling the Air Campaign was shorter at only 20 days.

It was interesting to watch the world that year. What a difference a little over a decade makes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incredible. I have a friend who teaches German military history at the Army General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth. He told me the plan for destroying the Iraqi army was designed there (he was at the school at the time of the war), and that Schwarzkopf's command had nothing to do with the planning (though S claimed to have). I wonder if the Leavenworth people were reading Dupuy?!

JarheadEd
01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Did you hang out on the CBT forums? I haven't been in a couple of years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I go there every once in a while, but have only played CBT once in the last year. I saw Helbie's dice in action, they really are cursed.

crucislancer
01-20-2008, 12:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JarheadEd:
Did you hang out on the CBT forums? I haven't been in a couple of years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I go there every once in a while, but have only played CBT once in the last year. I saw Helbie's dice in action, they really are cursed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I haven't played since 2005. I finally backed away from the forums since I just wasn't playing anymore. I went by "Bytor" then.

crucislancer
01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Just thought of another one:

System Shock 2. The whole game. Way ahead of it's time, IMHO.

This is kind of a side thing, by there's aren't many games made after 2000 that really appeal to me, or produced some of those fine gaming momments. There are exceptions, obviously (IL-2), but fewer and fewer games seem to make me not only pine to finish them, but actually go back and try again not long after. I've played Halo 1 & 2, extremely popular, but when I got to the end I was only just happy that I finished, rather then impressed that it was time well spent.

X-Wing, TiE Fighter, EAW, the Jane's sims, Half-Life, System Shock 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Terra Nova, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2........all time well spent, IMHO.

RAAF_Furball
01-20-2008, 01:07 PM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">The first time I ever played online (on the 'Net) - Quake (V1) - and wasn't sure if they were real people talkin' to me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

(This doesn't count the modem-connected games with my mates of course.) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif</span>

leitmotiv
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
The great thing about the old board games and miniatures games was seeing your opponent wilt when you nailed him but it was always hard finding good opponents who were not fools or knaves.

SeaFireLIV
01-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Sometimes it was that `wilting` which made playing the boardgames the hardest thing. The humiliation of realising you`ve been beaten and the annoying winner`s smirk that made you want to alternativly win by punching him in the face - and no die roll could change it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

crucislancer
01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
A few years ago my wife and I were having a dsagreement over chores, I'm not sure about what, and we decided to play scrabble to settle it. She's way better at the game then I, but I figured if I won I could use that as bragging rights, and threw in that she had to play a game of Battletech with me if I won.

So, I won. Pretty amazing. Later that week, we played Battletech. I fully expected to win, but I figured I would make it easy for her. We each had a Centurion, a mech with a autocannon, missile launcher, and medium laser. No jump jets or any oddball stuff. Used an arena type map with minimal cover. First, I lost initutive, so she had the upper hand there. No worries, I thought. We got to the fire phase, and I fire a salvo of everything at her, and all I did was scratch the paint. She fires everything, and blows the head off my mech. She says "We done here?"

"Yup" was all I could squeak out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Yea, that lucky kill to the cockpit was always the greatest humiliation. Pristine Mech full of weapons - dead pilot, you lose!

neural_dream
01-20-2008, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Awesome work! I've always wanted to play a WWII wargame, but haven't got around to it yet. One of these days, when I can find a few players I'll give it a go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We built a huge temporary table from some plywood, covered it with hex paper. Made units on die cut markers, and went at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/Dupuy/gw.jpg

Even though the Iraqi team members did not deploy their ground troops in the same way that the actual Iraqi national command authority did. The results PERFECTLY predicted the actual outcome. (With the exception of the Air war. The game Iraqi air force actually fought back in our simulation.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice. I'm not the only miniature wargamer here then!! If you play the WW2 Axis & Allies miniatures, come join the forum we started a month ago and now has 8 times more activity than the official one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org

xTHRUDx
01-21-2008, 12:36 AM
i remember a funny video game moment

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/lolcats-funny-pictures-leroy-jenkins.jpg

leroy jenkins

WTE_Googly
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
All your base are belong to us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg)

Airmail109
01-21-2008, 06:32 PM
(Sarcasm on) That time I beat up 6 ******s with a baseball bat and then set them on fire with a petrol bomb in GTA (Sarcasm off)

Seriously, that time I blew up the Death Star in X-wing when I was 7-8ish with vulnerability on. I really WAS Luke Skywalker that day. Fond memories. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Sometimes it was that `wilting` which made playing the boardgames the hardest thing. The humiliation of realising you`ve been beaten and the annoying winner`s smirk that made you want to alternativly win by punching him in the face - and no die roll could change it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I avoided jerks like the plague. The people I played were good sportsmen. We never rubbed it in when we stomped each other. I used to play a competition winning gamer who taught me a great deal. Then I started pounding him! Very satisfying.

mortoma
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Right after Pacific Fighters was released I decided to try out the Val dive bomber. I was flying it in a Dgen mission and we got over the target, an airfield on a little island. I was jumped by a Wildcat and to evade I dropped my bombs so I could maneuver better. After about 5 seconds of wild banking, trying to get the Cat off of my tail, I see a three quick messages appear that indicated my bombs had destroyed three flak emplacments!! Just by pure luck my unaimed bombs had hit three nice targets. Subsequently I was unable to do that well actually aiming at targets!!

pogobbler
01-23-2008, 12:39 AM
There are a couple that stand out in my mind. One was way back in college days, playing Stunt Driver, a dos driving simulator, with a friend on his 286 pc. With this game, in addition to driving several different "real" cars on the given tracks, with various stunt sections, such as jumps, dirt roads, icy roads, chicanes, loops, etc., you could also build your own tracks from a selection of all sorts of regular and stunt tracks. My friend and I spent hours and hours building a track that pretty well covered the entire area we could build on, putting in ever conceivable type of driving situation we could fit. On the first time through the track, with me at the wheel (or keyboard, actually) of a Porshe 962 racing car I was racing through the first straight sections and nicely banked turns, picking up speed as the road straightened and started up a hill. I crested the hill still picking up speed, soaring into the air... only to see the track below curve sharply to the right as I flew far over both it and a couple other sections of track before crashing back down to earth. As primitive as the game was by today's standards, I still can feel the visceral shock I felt then as I saw that road curve unexpectedly while my car was flying probably 30 feet or more above it. Next time, we approached that hill with a bit more caution.

The other most memorable gaming moment wasn't when I was playing, but, rather, when I was watching my brother-in-law play. We were playing Need for Speed on my 3DO game system, this was the first version, which, despite more limited hardware, seemed to me to make more of an attempt at modeling the cars and physics reasonably accurately than later versions. If any of you remember the game, you know that the high speed crashes could be quite spectacular-- the cars didn't dent one bit, but they did fly, cartwheel and somersault all over the screen when you got a really good one. Well, we were taking turns playing and had an upholstered, rocking and swiveling chair pulled up to the tv to heighten the realism. My brother-in-law was driving the Lamborghini Diablo, the fastest car, on the Alpine section and was whizzing past cars in his lane and dodging the oncoming traffic when, coming down a hill, he ran right into oncoming traffic. He jerked back with surprise at the impact, and as his car launched high into the air, somersaulting over and over, he jerked back too far and toppled over backwards in the chair. As much more "realistic" as games are now, I've never seen one give an impact strong enough to knock you over onto the floor.

csThor
01-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Hmmmm ... flight-sim wise the most memorable moments happened flying the old Warbirds 2.01 on the ancient german server.

1.) We - meaning me and my wing exter - were up in Bf 109 E-4s (IIRC from F18) and were heading for the "******** area" between F4 and F9. We were at 6000m when we spotted a dot at 11 o'clock coming towards us. It turned out to be a Spitfire I. For the next fifteen minutes we tried to nail him and evade being nailed. We started at 6k and ended up on the deck ... then I finally shot him down. Afterwards both exter and I headed back home and wrote on the country channel "AFK, showering and changing shirts". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

2.) Was flying with JG 301 in Bf 109 G-6 during "Operation Wehrwolf" - a scenario about a major german defensive battle against allied bombers in 1945. We were supposed to cover Fw 190 A-8 and Bf 110 G-2 while they took on the bombers, but for some reason that never worked out. Apparently the US CO had not managed to link up his bombers with their escorts so when we finally found the bombers there were no P-51 in sight. But neither were the 110s and 190s. Suddenly there was a kill report in the chat window and we were all surprised - a 110 had killed a P-51. And then the chat window "exploded" with kill reports as the 110s found the 51s and put them through the meat grinder. At some point the whole 109 group was laughing on RogerWilco. And then it was our turn to take on the bombers head-on. I'll never forget that initial attack - a Schwarm lined up against thirty bombers. Two B-17 went down and all of us were allright. During the next attack I was hit, though, and had to return to base.

Billy_BigBoy
01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
Seriously, that time I blew up the Death Star in X-wing when I was 7-8ish with vulnerability on. I really WAS Luke Skywalker that day. Fond memories. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeh!
Problably TEH moment! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

sigh, 1993...

SeaFireLIV
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Ok, one more, and i`m really going back this time. It`s one that`s always stuck in my mind and since it`s so old yet remembered it`s worth mentioning...

Think back if you will, to a time before, mass pcs, mass mobile phones, mass internet, before LOL and PWNED and mass cars (er, ok there were mass cars).

Think back to around 1883.

Sorry, 1983. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Think to six teenagers ranging from 15 to 19 playing a tunnels and trolls game. We used to play games like these all the time - for hours. I usually was the Games\dungeon master - and a pretty good one if I say so myself. I always tried to avoid makking each session a battle between the Players and the DM.

Anyway, the intrepid 5 adventurers were wandering along a dangerous underground cavern of an evil warlord, having passed many traps and monsters already, when they came across another long cavernous corridor. As usual, their suspicions were aroused.

The group leader, a Human warrior (Pete) asked the Ninja/thief, his Brother in real life (Steve) to check the area for traps.

Steve made his check rolls, I made my check rolls for the trapper`s skill (for indeed a special evil trap lay in wait). Steve rolled snake eyes and I rolled doubles. He sprang the trap!

I gave him a chance to evade the trap - again he rolled awfully.

The large razor that had popped out of the side wall cleaved his head clean off!

"Your ninja-thief`s body collapses to the floor with his head landing next to it in a pool of gushing blood. What do the rest of you want to do now?" I said, stern faced. (Never smile as a GM at times like this).

After a stunned silence, pete, the leader said, "I`ll go over and try and put his head back on his body!"

"What?" I asked.

"I`ll try and put his head back on his body!" he repeated.

"Er, ok, you grab the bloody head and try to put it back on the body.... It doesn`t do anything except fall off and roll about."

The rest of us had a good laugh about that one afterwards.

In the end it wasn`t so bad, because the trap had just been a high-level illusion!

Airmail109
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, one more, and i`m really going back this time. It`s one that`s always stuck in my mind and since it`s so old yet remembered it`s worth mentioning...

Think back if you will, to a time before, mass pcs, mass mobile phones, mass internet, before LOL and PWNED and mass cars (er, ok there were mass cars).

Think back to around 1883.

Sorry, 1983. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Think to six teenagers ranging from 15 to 19 playing a tunnels and trolls game. We used to play games like these all the time - for hours. I usually was the Games\dungeon master - and a pretty good one if I say so myself. I always tried to avoid makking each session a battle between the Players and the DM.

Anyway, the intrepid 5 adventurers were wandering along a dangerous underground cavern of an evil warlord, having passed many traps and monsters already, when they came across another long cavernous corridor. As usual, their suspicions were aroused.

The group leader, a Human warrior (Pete) asked the Ninja/thief, his Brother in real life (Steve) to check the area for traps.

Steve made his check rolls, I made my check rolls for the trapper`s skill (for indeed a special evil trap lay in wait). Steve rolled snake eyes and I rolled doubles. He sprang the trap!

I gave him a chance to evade the trap - again he rolled awfully.

The large razor that had popped out of the side wall cleaved his head clean off!

"Your ninja-thief`s body collapses to the floor with his head landing next to it in a pool of gushing blood. What do the rest of you want to do now?" I said, stern faced. (Never smile as a GM at times like this).

After a stunned silence, pete, the leader said, "I`ll go over and try and put his head back on his body!"

"What?" I asked.

"I`ll try and put his head back on his body!" he repeated.

"Er, ok, you grab the bloody head and try to put it back on the body.... It doesn`t do anything except fall off and roll about."

The rest of us had a good laugh about that one afterwards.

In the end it wasn`t so bad, because the trap had just been a high-level illusion! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahah used to play D and D with my mates when I was small lol, good times. Imagination is awesome. One friend the dungeon master was a brilliant story teller and still is.

Oh boy Id never dare tell a girl that.

DIRTY-MAC
01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
HALF LIFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sqT6TulFk4

Airmail109
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy_BigBoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
Seriously, that time I blew up the Death Star in X-wing when I was 7-8ish with vulnerability on. I really WAS Luke Skywalker that day. Fond memories. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeh!
Problably TEH moment! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

sigh, 1993... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I miss x-wing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Oleg...OI....OIIII....pack in SOW and create a Star Wars simulator.

Airmail109
I used to play Star Wars Galaxies as well when It was good, hanging out with real life mates online in a millenium falcon before landing and assainating a padawan jedi was great fun. (If you managed to become a jedi, during the padawan phase if you died you lost your character) We set up a jedi assassination service, where people would give us intel on the jedi they wanted doing over and pay us. Was great.

Being 15 and very very single was kind of cool in a way, cant do this stuff now I have responsibilities and if i want to keep Girlfriends. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Although I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting Pirates of the Burning Sea. I LOVE Ships of the Line. Enough to pay a monthly fee.

crucislancer
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Think to six teenagers ranging from 15 to 19 playing a tunnels and trolls game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice! I've been in a few situations like that, some I got out of, some I didn't. RPGs are a favorite of mine. When I was in that age range, rather 12 to 17, I played as many RPGs as I could get my hands on. Some of my favorites were D&D, James Bond, Top Secret, Star Frontiers, Star Trek (the FASA version).

Trigger_88
01-24-2008, 03:05 AM
I remrmber my first online kill in il2 with a p-51... I was chasing down a 109 and after a while of playing cat and mouse trying to out fly eachother the guy in the 109 decides to try to take the fight up, so he pulls up hard and I give chace...his plane stalls and is almost sitting still, I could see the whole outline of his plane against the sky and I open up with the .50 cals and after like 2 sec. with 100 m gun convergance I see his left wing tear off and I keep firing then his right wing tears off also...soon after the whole rear of the 109 is gone and all that is left is the front part of the fuesalage with the cocpit and engine spiraling wildly and on fire upward...that first kill and seeing the carnage was a never-forget gaming moment....