PDA

View Full Version : rudder pedals: yaw and toe brake sensitivity numbers

rbuchner
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I tried the search feature, but could not find any recent answer (maybe things changed from 2003).

Im having a hard time trying to get over the twist stick and learning how to use the recently bought CH pedals.

Now its harder for taxiing (cant control AC), making tight curves using rudder, and stopping after landing...

I believe its a matter of practice, but maybe there's some sensitivity settings that will make it more realistic.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

rbuchner
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I tried the search feature, but could not find any recent answer (maybe things changed from 2003).

Im having a hard time trying to get over the twist stick and learning how to use the recently bought CH pedals.

Now its harder for taxiing (cant control AC), making tight curves using rudder, and stopping after landing...

I believe its a matter of practice, but maybe there's some sensitivity settings that will make it more realistic.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

josephs1959
01-26-2009, 11:36 AM
CH pedals come with a disk, In that disk they should have I believe a way of adjusting the sensitivity.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
If you use rudders pedals and a hotas you should check out IL2 Joycontrol to adjust your sensitivity settings.

For Yaw I use 20 through 100 (curved)

For toe brakes I use 1 through 100 (linear)

http://www.mission4today.com/i...file=details&id=1021 (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021)

http://adary.lunarpages.com/~missi19/uploads/downloads/images/2007/05/2_joyctrl_142_eng.jpg

S!

jayhall0315
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Rbuchner - What's up fellow Joint Ops grad (hehe) !

First, calibrate your CH Pro Pedals with Control Manager 4.20 in XP (or 4.30 in Vista). Do not set any special curves, just leave them linear (straight line) for now and make sure that the pedals slide fine and toe brakes work.

Now, go download IL2 Joy Control, from Mission4Today (or google it). Install it, and then go to the Rudder setting. Now set something with much dampening to start off with, like:

3, 7, 13, 20, 29, 38, 50, 65, 80, 100

and see how that works. When you have the right setting, click the 'Save to config ini' button. The CH Pro Pedals have are very sensitive near the center and need dampening to be effective in IL2 combat. If you want to try a fully linear setting, push the sliders to:

100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100

However, I think you will find this way to sensitive for your tastes and you will not be able to use yaw to bring the crosshairs onto a target stably enough to be effective.

Test it out, and post here if you have more questions.

Jay

rbuchner
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi, JayHall how are you?

Did you continue the further courses of JO?

Thanks everyone for the answers! I will try all suggestions and see what works best for me.

Rbuchner

rbuchner
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi,
me again.

I installed all the softwares you mentioned (controlmanager and il2 joycontrol), and tried the numbers jayhall suggested.

I thought much better for flying, but still bad for taxiing. I just cant keep going on a straight line, only zig-zag.

I didnt have this problem at all while using torsion stick.

Tomorrow I will try Havok suggestion and see what happens.

PLease keep your input numbers coming please.

By the way: should I change my joystick input settings as well, for a more fluid flying? I never messed with it before, all default.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

rjb1fgc
01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Taxiing
Not to be a smart*** but have you locked the tailwheel ?
Joystick twist-grip and hand-eye co-ordination are a much better ( faster) match than the kind of pedal foot-eye co-ordination that isn't used so often in-real-life. Taxi with twistgrip and unlocked tailwheel is fairly easy, but not with pedals.

jayhall0315
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rbuchner:
Hi, JayHall how are you?

Did you continue the further courses of JO?

Thanks everyone for the answers! I will try all suggestions and see what works best for me.

Rbuchner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mate, I need to attend other courses and keep learning but I started learning how to fly in real life and had several academic conferences to attend to, which have taken up alot of time as of late. At any rate, the numbers I posted are just a suggestion for the first two weeks or so to get used to the Pro Pedals. That will prevent the seesawing you likely experiencing. Try Havoks numbers as well, but you may find that too sensitive at first. You definitely want exponential correlation with the Pro Pedals at first.

rjb also has a good point, make sure you lock the tailwheel. You also need the last number for your sensitivity to be 100, so that you have the full rudder range when taxing (also needed on carrier take offs).

And hey, we did not get the main target did we, but we certainly shot down our instructors, hehe.

Jay

rbuchner
01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi!

Oh, yes. tailwheel locked when I want to go straight, not locked when turning, but then My turns are not precise as before (with twist).

I will keep trying and see what fits me best.

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Glad to know your are flying, Jayhall.

Thanks!

tagTaken2
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
CH Pedals are pretty sensitive, they're a bit close together. My settings for rudder taken straight from conf.ini:

1Z2=0 0 3 9 15 22 29 38 50 68 98 0

And option I use for brakes is:

1Y2=50 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100 100 100 0

so I'm not accidentally braking while I'm taxiing.

rbuchner
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
and by the way...

any information about input values on joystick axis, I mean better than the default?

thank you

jayhall0315
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Rbuchner, try out tagTaken2's suggestion as that sounds even better than what I quoted you for your first few weeks with the Pro Pedals. That will allow you you yaw your crosshair onto the target more precisely.

Jay

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rbuchner:
and by the way...

any information about input values on joystick axis, I mean better than the default?

thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals.

Roll = 25 33 42 50 58 67 75 83 92 100 (Linear)

Pitch = 20 29 38 47 56 64 73 82 91 100 (Linear)

Yaw = 10 14 18 24 33 42 54 68 83 100 (Curved)

Brakes = 1 12 23 34 45 56 67 78 89 100 (Linear)

I use no deadband or filtering.

S!

rbuchner
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
and by the way...

thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals.

Roll = 25 33 42 50 58 67 75 83 92 100 (Linear)

Pitch = 20 29 38 47 56 64 73 82 91 100 (Linear)

Yaw = 10 14 18 24 33 42 54 68 83 100 (Curved)

Brakes = 1 12 23 34 45 56 67 78 89 100 (Linear)

I use no deadband or filtering.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your numbers, Havok.

I noticed you mentioned what type of joystick you have.

Is there any difference, I mean, will your numbers work with other types/brands of joystick?

Mine is a Saitek Aviator.

I tried your numbers, and thought the aircraft is very stable while cruising. When Im fast maneuvering, I thought it became less responsive, but I dont know... maybe its just a matter of getting used to it.

Before, when my settings were 100 all the way, the AC was very unstable and I had to put little pressure on the joystick to make my turns.

Now I have to make wide movements with the stick, which I believe is more real-life like, right?

Ricardo

jayhall0315
01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Rbuchner - Joystick sensitivity is dependent upon many things, including the resistance of the springs used (if any), the quality of the pots, the electronics and precision of the fitted parts.

Generally speaking the numbers if changed by a large margin, will be noticeable on any joystick. The numbers Havok posted ARE less responsive than what you had before, and are a great middle of the road pathway. Some guys like to set the numbers very high, but then planes that respond badly to quick rolls or pitchs (like many Spits or the Corsair) will often snap roll in combat.

So which numbers you use for your input curves is very much a balancing act, where what you are seeking is a quickly responsive plane but not one that snap rolls or stalls out if the situation becomes severe (as in a dogfight). As a general guideline try higher settings (more linear) in already stable planes like the La5FN and the Bf 109 G2. Try lower more curved (exponential) settings in the planes that handle badly (the P51, Corsairs, some Spits, etc...).

Jay