PDA

View Full Version : Bf-109 prop pitch

mike_espo
08-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Just curious: How many of you guys use manual prop pitch on your messerschmitts? Personally, I don't think its worth the effort and could be downright dangerous.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

mike_espo
08-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Just curious: How many of you guys use manual prop pitch on your messerschmitts? Personally, I don't think its worth the effort and could be downright dangerous.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Uufflakke
08-16-2008, 11:44 AM
When I am in the mood I give it a try again. But when I use manual prop pitch I am always overrevving which results in blowing up the engine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
So with manual prop pitch my Bf109 becomes a glider plane.

JSG72
08-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Didn't the WON"O"9 Have auto pitch?

mike_espo
08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSG72:
Didn't the WON"O"9 Have auto pitch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, but you have the option to turn it off.

M_Gunz
08-16-2008, 03:36 PM
It's like driving a small sports car with a stick. Or is everything automatics now?

K_Freddie
08-16-2008, 04:19 PM
You know that in a dogfight you go up and down like a yoyo... I set my manual plop-pitch to 70%.

- Just over the top of the turn (~2000 rpm) I hit manual. It's like putting your foot down as you feel the g-forces push you back in your seat.
- when the revs hit 2500 rpm change to auto... and climb again.

If you plan it right you bottom out of your turn at 2500 rpm, and with a bit of practise you do not have to look at the dials.

Stingray333
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Whenever I try to manually adjust prop pitch and use wep it ends up burning out the engine in like 10 seconds, so I usually just leave it on manual now

DKoor
08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
In the past you could actually gain something from pp, nowadays just make sure your messer runs on auto.

mortoma
08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
If I use manual PP in German planes I hit the key I have programmed for 70% prop pitch first and then disengage auto PP. This way I don't get an instantaneous over-rev from simply going from auto to manual in the first place. That way I go right to 70% PP as soon as I turn auto off and then can adjust from there.

But no, there's little point in going manual in German fighters unless you like to fiddle with that sort of thing and are not in combat at the time. In combat it takes too much attention when you need to concentrate on more important things.

mike_espo
08-21-2008, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
If I use manual PP in German planes I hit the key I have programmed for 70% prop pitch first and then disengage auto PP. This way I don't get an instantaneous over-rev from simply going from auto to manual in the first place. That way I go right to 70% PP as soon as I turn auto off and then can adjust from there.

But no, there's little point in going manual in German fighters unless you like to fiddle with that sort of thing and are not in combat at the time. In combat it takes too much attention when you need to concentrate on more important things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Thats what I thought. I remember way back in IL2 days that there was a big hubaloo about manual.

WTE_Galway
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike_espo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:

But no, there's little point in going manual in German fighters unless you like to fiddle with that sort of thing and are not in combat at the time. In combat it takes too much attention when you need to concentrate on more important things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Thats what I thought. I remember way back in IL2 days that there was a big hubaloo about manual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hulaboo was because the Emil ingame was the older BoB version that had no auto pitch. You only got the manual pitch version and noobs were putting pistons through cylinder heads left right and centre.

Quite a few people posted data on the forums to show that by Barbarossa the Emil's had almost all been converted to the auto pitch props (which actually began to become common during the BoB) and the engine management on Emils in later patches was changed to allow auto pitch.

I never found the Emil that hard to fly on manual ... just choose a throttle setting (cruise or combat) then leave the throttle alone and use the pitch to keep revs under redline.

M_Gunz
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
The hulaboo was because the Emil ingame was the older BoB version that had no auto pitch. You only got the manual pitch version and noobs were putting pistons through cylinder heads left right and centre.

Quite a few people posted data on the forums to show that by Barbarossa the Emil's had almost all been converted to the auto pitch props (which actually began to become common during the BoB) and the engine management on Emils in later patches was changed to allow auto pitch.

I never found the Emil that hard to fly on manual ... just choose a throttle setting (cruise or combat) then leave the throttle alone and use the pitch to keep revs under redline. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've always had the automatic since CEM came out in FB but it wasn't as efficient as using
manual as long as you stayed on top of it --exactly the way you write at the end of your post--. Really, I had to take the 109's into manual and off auto to control the prop pitch.

People started to use a crack in the code to cheat when running on manual where they would
jump between auto and manual quickly back and forth and not blow the engine or at least
that's what I remember being posted. I'm not be sure sure but that that method was used in
the international competition held in China, the tracks were posted at the time.

That whole deal about cheating was the noise that got it changed.

ADD: also IIRC and somebody can please check but in the real planes once you switched to manual
you could not switch back to auto?

unreasonable
08-21-2008, 09:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

ADD: also IIRC and somebody can please check but in the real planes once you switched to manual you could not switch back to auto? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That certainly is not right, at least for later 109s. The 109G2 manual (translated) shows several sections where switching from auto to manual and back are discussed, for instance in the section on diving:

"The pitch control must be set to automatic if you have flown with the manual setting so far".

There is, however, another section which says:

"If you fly with manual pitch control, you must ensure that you do not set the airscrew pitch lower than 12 o'clock because the emergency release will not engage before the 12.30 position"

I find this a bit unclear - maybe someone who reads german can check the untranslated version - but I think it means do not set the pitch between 12.00 and 12.30 (ie lowest pitch = 95%-100% in IL2 terms, ie finest pitch in degrees AoA), although I am not sure exactly what the emergency release is supposed to be or do. So maybe there are some circumstances in which getting out of manual was tricky.

M_Gunz
08-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Thank you! You provide detail where before there was only vague summary!
Not only that but you provide that this was possible on late models, I never saw clear answers
when the topic was debated before. Thank you very much!

Hoooo-ha! It's not unreal to use the manual mode and even to switch with proper method!

I never did understand the clock and actual controls but then I never needed to. I know there
are or were people here who did get into that but again IL2 does not provide use for such knowing.
We have one dimension control and % indicator only.

unreasonable
08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Thank you!

Hoooo-ha! It's not unreal to use the manual mode and even to switch with proper method!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My pleasure. I was looking for the link where I got the document but it seems to be obsolete - if I could work out how to do attachments on this board I would post it as a pdf, it is not very big.

Anyway, although it is not unreal to switch, the main recommended use for manual is in fine adjustment to achieve the exact ata / rpm combinations to get optimal cruise settings. Takeoff and landing are recommended for auto. I do not think using manual in combat is advisable myself, there are other more important things to worry about, but I can see that it might be fun, like driving an MG.

Daiichidoku
08-22-2008, 08:22 AM
2006:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif"PP is teh ghey, pilots attain ahistorical climb values"

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif"but it takes skill to learn and do, besides, i'm risking my engine this way!"