PDA

View Full Version : 3D on the PS3

budbedwell
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
I've spent the last three days trying to find this answer on various forums. I've talked to manufacturers of shutter glasses. I've been on Sony, Mitsubishi, and Ubisoft websites. I've spent the last two hours talking to tech support for the above three companies, and they each refer me to someone else.

Ok. What do I need to play Avatar in 3D on the PS3? I know I need a 3D TV, which I have (Mitsubishi 73737). I believe I need shutter glasses. But the shutter glasses need to be in sync with the TV and the game. My question is, will the PS3 do this, or do I need a computer and software hooked into the system? The folks at i-O Display systems sell a transmitter and glasses only package (no software) and say the PS3 will do the processing as long as it has the proper softwaqre or firmware. Does the new game provide that processing, or are we talking about the 3D firmware update coming sometime in 2010? I'm willing to shell out $100 or $200 for a transmitter and a couple pair of glasses, but I don't want to get a new computer and hook it into my system. Any ideas, or better yet, any personal experience with this game in 3D on the PS3? Thanks.

budbedwell
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
I've spent the last three days trying to find this answer on various forums. I've talked to manufacturers of shutter glasses. I've been on Sony, Mitsubishi, and Ubisoft websites. I've spent the last two hours talking to tech support for the above three companies, and they each refer me to someone else.

Ok. What do I need to play Avatar in 3D on the PS3? I know I need a 3D TV, which I have (Mitsubishi 73737). I believe I need shutter glasses. But the shutter glasses need to be in sync with the TV and the game. My question is, will the PS3 do this, or do I need a computer and software hooked into the system? The folks at i-O Display systems sell a transmitter and glasses only package (no software) and say the PS3 will do the processing as long as it has the proper softwaqre or firmware. Does the new game provide that processing, or are we talking about the 3D firmware update coming sometime in 2010? I'm willing to shell out $100 or $200 for a transmitter and a couple pair of glasses, but I don't want to get a new computer and hook it into my system. Any ideas, or better yet, any personal experience with this game in 3D on the PS3? Thanks.

Chibi_Chaingun
12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
The game does the 3D displaying in the options. I would imagine if your TV is 3D and you get glasses that are compatible with your TV then you will be able to use on the PS3 since the game controls the 3D.

Blastronaut
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I am playing the PS3 version right now in stereoscopic 3D, and yes, I can confirm that with a 3D-ready TV (I have Samsung) and shutter glasses, the game will run in 3D. I bought a starter pack from TriDDD that I thought would need to run from PS3 to PC back to TV...but the transmitter plugs right into the 3D SYNC OUT port on the TV. The TV handles the control of the glasses, so you don't need a PC connection in addition to the TV, PS3 and glasses.

Its pretty cool, but the only problem I'm having right now is that when the camera is too close to the character, it gets painful to look at.

golgo19
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Blastronaut, which samsung tv do you have? I have the kit from TRIDEF DDD also. I have 2 samsung 3d led dlps but cannot get the 3d to work on them. I have a PS3 and a 360 but I chose to get the game for the 360. The problem I was having is that my Samsung TV is not giving me the option to switch to 3d mode when connected to the 360 via HDMI @ 1080p. PC of course works fine and I can switch there.

Blastronaut
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by golgo19:
Blastronaut, which samsung tv do you have? I have the kit from TRIDEF DDD also. I have 2 samsung 3d led dlps but cannot get the 3d to work on them. I have a PS3 and a 360 but I chose to get the game for the 360. The problem I was having is that my Samsung TV is not giving me the option to switch to 3d mode when connected to the 360 via HDMI @ 1080p. PC of course works fine and I can switch there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the 5676 model of Samsung TV. The only way for the 3D to work is if I plug it into the HDMI3/DVI port. Otherwise, the TV doesn't see the 3D input. Also, you have to switch to 3D mode on the remote (or in the on-screen TV menu) once the game is running. Its not an automatic switch.

golgo19
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5676 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow thanks. I have 3 hdmi ports on both tvs but only one is labeled HDMI/DVI. That is the port its required to be hooked into. The other HDMI ports are not 3d capable. THANKS!!!!!!!

Blastronaut
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by golgo19:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5676 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow thanks. I have 3 hdmi ports on both tvs but only one is labeled HDMI/DVI. That is the port its required to be hooked into. The other HDMI ports are not 3d capable. THANKS!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem! Its actually pretty cool in 3D. The environment elements are awesome, like spent bullets flying at you, and those wisp spores floating into your living room. I only wish the areas outside the jungle were as impressive in 3D. (then again, I'm barely 20 minutes into the game)

budbedwell
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks to Blastronaut and Chibi_Chaingun. That's the news I was hoping to hear --I'm ordering the glasses tomorrow. IOD has a TRIDEF package of glasses and transmitter without the software, so I think that's what I'll go with. Are you guys (golgo 19 and Blastronaut) happy with the glasses?

golgo19
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I am very happy with my glasses. I sometimes wear these over my regular glasses and they work fine for me. I have never used the samsung glasses or any other glasses so I cannot comment on those, but the tridef glasses are worth it for me.

JohnnyJones1
12-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm playing the 360 version on a Samsung PN50A450 Plasma. I'm using the Samsung shutter glasses. One thing I can recommend is ordering the shutter glasses directly from Samsung Parts. This way you can avoid paying the extra $$$ for the worthless (imho) tridef ddd drivers. That software is for use with a PC, and everybody I know that has tried it says it's worthless and it's better to use Nvidia's or ATI's drivers, which are free to download if you have the respective Nvidia or ATI graphics card. I was able to get two pairs of glasses, and the emitter for about $130 shipped. I would have gotten it much cheaper than that, but the shipping cost was really high.

The game looks pretty impressive in 3D. Much better than Invincible Tiger. I'm not sure if the actual game is any good or not, and I must say the reviews have me very concerned. Still, I definitely want to see how this game works in 3D.

truck1975
12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
does ps3 support anaglyph

truck1975
12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
its a marketing test to determine demand

Seve_Lorenzo
12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
How can I manage to see Avatar in 3d in my PS3? I have a Sony 40Z5500 (200hz) connected by HDMI. What kind of glasses and configuration i need to get it in 3d? Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

PD- I did this question in another topic but I think is better here

JohnnyJones1
12-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I wonder if Avatar on PS3 will work in stereo 3D on the Samsung PN50A450 Plasma. The Samsung PN50A450 Plasma is a 3D Ready TV, but it does have a few quirks that might make it incompatible with the PS3 version of Avatar. This Samsung will only go into 3D mode if it's being fed one of two specific resolutions. It must either receive 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768. Anything else, and it simply won't allow you to turn the 3D mode on (via the TV's remote). It also must receive this resolution via HDMI, but that's pretty common, so not really a factor. Back when Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao was released (mid Summer I think), on the Invincible Tiger website, it showed that my Samsung was only compatible with the Xbox version of Invincible Tiger. The reason being, that for that game, the PS3 wasn't able to output either 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768. So, my TV wouldn't allow me to turn the 3D mode on.

I'm wondering if this is the case with Avatar as well? I'm guessing it likely is, which is depressing to me, not so much in regards to Avatar (I can play the 360 version in Stereo 3D no problem), but in regards to future stereo 3D content on the PS3, whether it be games or Blu Ray movies. I wonder why the PS3 is unable to output more custom resolutions like 1360 x 768? I'm guessing it's because the PS3 doesn't have a built-in hardware scaler like the Xbox 360. Scaling on the PS3 must be done via software, which is more CPU and GPU intensive.

I guess I'm SOL when it comes to 3D on the PS3 and my Samsung PN50A450. Sucks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

yodasmeagol
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I hope this isn't "wrong" to bump up an old thread, but it's specific to this topic so I figured I'd just post my questions here.

I'm asking the same questions as the person above me. I have a PS3 and just barely bought the PN50A450. I'm not sure how the resolutions needed will affect the possibility of it working properly. It seems that for specifications they wouldn't work, but member Blastronaut seemed to be able to get the 3D to work on his TV. It is a different TV, sure, but it seems the main concern was the PS3 and resolution output, which apparently wasn't a problem for him.

What I have surmised is that if you want to do 3D on the PS3, then you have to have a 1080p HDTV. If you only have 720p, your only option is to use a 360. Am I correct? Also, would there be any possibility of being some sort of update for the PS3 to allow it to be able to scale to different resolutions, or is that purely a hardware thing?

I'm wondering if anyone else has been working in the same situation and can confirm if it works or not. Just so I know before I throw down money for glasses. If anyone has any clues or answers, let me know. Thanks.

Daemonbefore
01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
yodasmeagol

If you just bought the samsung 450 series plasma, it would be the B series (PN42B450 or PN50B450) unless you bought it used. The B means it is an 09 model, the A is 08.

You are right in that the PS3 lacks the scaler that the xbox 360 has and this is causing the problem since the 450 series plasmas will not display 3d unless it is either 1360 x 768 for the 50" or 1024 x 768 for the 42". Xbox 360 users can set the 360 to use the "optimum resolution", which will automatically set the output to match the tv's native resolution. From what I have seen, this issue is only with the Samsung 450 series plasmas. Most, if not all, of the samsung DLP's do not have this issue and use 1080p/i for their 3d display, not some resolution "near" 720p.

Heres the good news, there has been rumored talks that Sony is working on a firmware update to make the PS3 more 3d friendly; this may or may not address this issue.

The bad news is that Samsung seems to care little about their 450 series customers. I myself have spent the last 30 days on the phone and computer with samsung trying to push the issue, but have hit nothing but dead ends. One un-named upper level tech support person actually said I was S**t out of luck. That said, about 5 hours ago I returned my 450 series plasma and ordered a Mitsubishi WD-60C9 DLP. From what I have heard (and seen) on their website, they are proactive when it comes to 3d and have even announced they will release converter boxes if the new, upcoming 3d formats are not directly compatible with their current systems.

My advice on this issue is to return the 450 series display and get one that functions in 1080p/i or true 720p because I highly doubt that products set to emerge this year will be able to output 3d in anything but the major resolutions (1080i, 1080p, or 720p).

copter74
01-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I ask myself the same questions...

UP
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

copter74
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Hello,

I wanted to buy 50B450 ... still no compatibility with the PS3?
The h5360 is 100% compatible?

Daemonbefore
01-30-2010, 01:46 AM
i would advise against the b450 series plasmas if you want to do 3d. Im told the ghosting is pretty bad and then theres that resolution quirk.

cant say anything about the h5360 tho.