PDA

View Full Version : Question: AKA_TAGERT - Atmospheric Model and Affects on Aircraft

JG7_X_MAN
06-12-2008, 08:57 PM
AKA_TAGERT Since you have done extensive testing of aircraft in IL-2, can you please answer this question?

1. Is there an atmosphere modeled in IL-2 (i.e. temperature and pressure)?

2. If there is, does it affect aircraft FM at all?

3. The if 2 is true, is there a noticeable difference depending on which map you fly?

My guess is no. It is just that all aircraft perform differently at different altitudes.

JG7_X_MAN
06-12-2008, 08:57 PM
AKA_TAGERT Since you have done extensive testing of aircraft in IL-2, can you please answer this question?

3. The if 2 is true, is there a noticeable difference depending on which map you fly?

My guess is no. It is just that all aircraft perform differently at different altitudes.

-HH-Quazi
06-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Sorry m8. No such person here any longer. But you may be able to catch him over on the CWOS forums.

However, there are a few other educated m8s here that are knowledgeable enough to answer your questions if you are interested in hearing from them.

Jaws2002
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Of cours there's difference. Oleg always told us to test aircraft performance on Crimea map. That's the standard for the game.
The summer maps form hot regions (Desert, Pacific), will always overheat your engine a lot faster then let's say Moscow or Kurland, and you won't be able to run the engine at the same setings for too long.

M_Gunz
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG7_X_MAN:

My guess is no. It is just that all aircraft perform differently at different altitudes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is good up to 10km alt above which is the same as 10km.
It varies with temperature by season. You get denser air in the winter maps and at night.
ONLY Crimea at sea level noon is accepted standard atmosphere, btw.

Of course it affects the flight. These things have been known since original IL2 was not
long out. People doing testing on different maps got different results. These things were
explained AFAIK back when IL2 was just a demo. Oleg Maddox and Team are far more professional
than many people will credit, still.

Your guess is based on?

K_Freddie
06-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Also Oleg has always said that...
- although they'll try make it close to RL as possible, this is still a simulation, not RL -

We all live within the same parameters of the a/c. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

tragentsmith
06-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Having an external temperature gauge in my 110, I came with following result for this type of aircraft :

Winter map : You can fly with auto rads at 105 % all the time without overheating at eery altitude.

Temperated maps : Same as for winter map.

Summer map : On the deck, you can run all the time to max 90 % without overheating.
At 1000 m, you can run all the time at 100 % with auto rads without overheaiting.
Above 1500 m, you can run at 105 % with auto rads all the time without overheating.

So there's a difference you have to consider while flying at different external temperatures, but it stays quite simple to manage it.

Only rule, on summer map, don't fly on the deck.

JG7_X_MAN
06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Ah! Thanks guys! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-13-2008, 07:51 PM
He was banned for something very silly and no worse then what was already being said in the thread. Just a new mods bias kicking in. Pretty sad actually.

mortoma
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
He was banned for something very silly and no worse then what was already being said in the thread. Just a new mods bias kicking in. Pretty sad actually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree, we have at least two of the the new mods that are extremely biased and opinionated. I was threatened by one simply because I expressed concern ( in the off topic forum ) about illegal, criminal crossing of our southern border. Even though I made it clear that I'd feel the same about it if hypothetically, it were caucasion Canadians that were invading us. I was still a "racist".

If you ask me some of the new mods should be banned themselves.

JtD
06-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I think it was overdue. If you make a statement and someone keeps coming along telling you "you suck, I have no clue if the statement is correct or not, but you're a sissy", he should be gone. Even if he needs 6 quotes and 9 paragraphs to say so.

---
Just backing up the mods here.

Brain32
06-14-2008, 07:24 PM
There's a line of good taste, there's a lot of us "dancing" on it, those that cross it go bye, bye...fine with me, especially since the criteria seems to be same for all...

LEXX_Luthor
06-14-2008, 07:56 PM
10k and above "the same" ... not so sure.

Fly up a MiG-3 well above 10k. Engine power continues to fall gradually above 10k, as well the fuel mix. The higher you fly, the less power and mixture. Using lots of time, I got high enough -- near 13k maybe -- to need like 20% Mix. I don't play FB no more, so this was looong ago ... pre-Pe-2. Wow!

Maybe some atmospheric modelling is simplified at high altitudes, but not all.