PDA

View Full Version : Wounds Indicator

Tigra2009
06-22-2011, 05:41 AM
I was really disappointed, when i saw wounds indicator in demo http://smayly.ru/smayly/anime/Yolks/ouch.png
I expected something like in FC2
And i decided create a poll http://smayly.ru/smayly/anime/Yolks/hope.png

previewed in demo:
http://s61.radikal.ru/i174/1106/c5/075cbe6d975c.jpg
or something like FC2 indicator:
http://i052.radikal.ru/1106/ce/a23cdcc4477d.jpg
or switching possibility?

Martythemerc
06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
I fear the final product screen will be loaded with too much HUD garbage / indicators / hit counts that will distract from any immersion. FC 2 had a good balance. At least make the HUDs on/off at will for quick reference.

o0Kman0o
06-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think thats the hit indercator.. I'm sure he would have had some kind of reaction to it, I think that indercateds an alert enemy.. If you watch the video he gets shot when he is running and a blood slap apears on the left side of the screen. So it looks like you may have mixed them two up.

Tigra2009
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
blood slap
mm.. i think slaps apears randomly. They didn't show hit location.

Fallen-Champ
06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I think that indicator is to do with the stealth element they are trying to add with FC3.

When you alert an enemy it turns Red, there was talk from some sites saying it was too easy to dive in the water and flank the enemy - when you swim back to land the indicator is set that they don't know where you are.

Basically alert anyone and the indicator turns red - not a wounds indicator.

k4Anarky2011
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Just my two cents, but i think what they should do is that when you get shot, there should be an impact wound MOMENTARILY appears on your screen accordingly to where you got shot at(its good because it could retain both aesthetic and immersiveness, as well as a functional hit indicator)

It shouldn't be just a splatter of blood, you should be able to SEE the impact as the bullet fly in and blood splurt out of the wound on to the screen. Also, the player should be able to FEEL the impact, maybe a little sway to the side upon hit, and vibration.

And when your health gets low(if they decided to keep the health system), a little blood would stream down from above, combine with an adrenaline effect(heart beating faster, heavy breathing, the screen blurs to the side as your vision increase directly in front of you, ala brighter and clearer vision)

DigitalZombie
06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by k4Anarky2011:
Just my two cents, but i think what they should do is that when you get shot, there should be an impact wound MOMENTARILY appears on your screen accordingly to where you got shot at(its good because it could retain both aesthetic and immersiveness, as well as a functional hit indicator)

It shouldn't be just a splatter of blood, you should be able to SEE the impact as the bullet fly in and blood splurt out of the wound on to the screen. Also, the player should be able to FEEL the impact, maybe a little sway to the side upon hit, and vibration.

And when your health gets low(if they decided to keep the health system), a little blood would stream down from above, combine with an adrenaline effect(heart beating faster, heavy breathing, the screen blurs to the side as your vision increase directly in front of you, ala brighter and clearer vision) While this is pretty sadistic, I kind of like it. A general direction of where I'm getting shot from works for me. I get to think "OH, I'm getting shot from my left. I'd better A: turn around and find/shoot the guy before he kills me, or B: Hide from the guy to my left before he kills me.

If it's an ALERT indicator... that's, uh, also a little hard to swallow. At least come up with some kind of solve as to how you know they're looking at you. I liked the solve in OG Far Cry, which had everyone on the island outfitted with trackers that emitted an alertness signal to your Stealth-O-Meter. Practical, yes. Implausible, yes. Strategic and fun, YES.

k4Anarky2011
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
For an alert indicator, there should be an audio cue instead of a visual cue, because what is the point of showing who's alerted in front of you when you can already SEE whether that they are alerted or not?

The audio cue would act much like combat instinct, this too, retains both immersiveness and functionality. I mean Ubi seems commit to bring more sounds to the game this time, this seems like a good idea, and it just probably a couple hours more of audio recording.

As you are creeping through the grass and near enemy, Brody should have an audibly and constant deep breathing.

When the enemies start to get suspicious and look for you, in that start point, Brody should suddenly take a deep breath and start to have stuttering in breathing(just like when you gets cold, nervous in front of a crowd, or hiding from the cops LOLhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), maybe hearing his heart beats a lil faster.

And when he is spotted, Brody could initiate a hard and fast sigh(like when you suddenly got punch in the guts), and maybe start swearing under his breath for a couple of seconds?(only sometimes though)

And when everyone is dead, Brody can take a sigh of relief. Just a man who is glad to be alive, you know?

DigitalZombie
06-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by k4Anarky2011:
For an alert indicator, there should be an audio cue instead of a visual cue, because what is the point of showing who's alerted in front of you when you can already SEE whether that they are alerted or not?

The audio cue would act much like combat instinct, this too, retains both immersiveness and functionality. I mean Ubi seems commit to bring more sounds to the game this time, this seems like a good idea, and it just probably a couple hours more of audio recording.

As you are creeping through the grass and near enemy, Brody should have an audibly and constant deep breathing.

When the enemies start to get suspicious and look for you, in that start point, Brody should suddenly take a deep breath and start to have stuttering in breathing(just like when you gets cold, nervous in front of a crowd, or hiding from the cops LOLhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), maybe hearing his heart beats a lil faster.

And when he is spotted, Brody could initiate a hard and fast sigh(like when you suddenly got punch in the guts), and maybe start swearing under his breath for a couple of seconds?(only sometimes though)

And when everyone is dead, Brody can take a sigh of relief. Just a man who is glad to be alive, you know? This is also very specific, and maybe a bit too subtle. Are you not a fan of the old-school mechanic of the music getting more exciting as enemies come after you?

k4Anarky2011
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
While i think that music somewhat kills the immersiveness, I like FC2 soundtrack(tribal drums and such). It makes you feel like you are constantly on high alert. But after I played that game for a while i turn off the music to increase the immersiveness, while turning up the surround sound volume. FC3 orchestra soundtrack in the demo makes you feel like you are in a B action movie. It's bland, reused, and childish

I think what Ubi should do is sending a couple of playtest guys into a real jungle(or tundra, depending on which Ubi HQ is making the games) and let them play predators with paintball gun on each other, plant a camera on them. Then afterward ask them what they felt, heard and saw as if they were on the run from the enemies.

Hell if they ever do that i would gladly enlist for free. That also counts driving 20 hours straight to wherever they want me to be in

Hobodealer
06-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I hope to hell that they at least put in an option to turn HUD off. It completely ruins the experience for me as I like to rely on my instincts not what the computer warns me about. I think the only time you should have an indicator is when you actually get shot and blood should appear on the screen. I hope these messages reach Ubi!!!

Martythemerc
06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I turn the music off in all games. I just want to hear the sounds and the the foot-falls of the enemy sneaking up on me - not composed music noise.