PDA

View Full Version : )(*&^%$#@!~ PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ~!@#$%^&*()

CornbreadPattie
04-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Who hates spyware?

Who hates the ineffective system of Boonty Box?

QUIT YOUR WHINING IN THE FORUMS

There is only one way for this to work. SHUT UP and quietly PM someone for help.

DO NOT publically ask for a solution.

Boonty Box is a very important piece of software that helps us get our download and it makes sure that Ubi and Oleg get what is theirs!

Be nice and make sure we can keep this system for 1946 and IL-10! One false move and the future add ons get more invasive and hurt your system more! We have a great system, we do not need greater amounts of Mal Ware embedding itself into our memory!

END TRANSMISSION

CornbreadPattie
04-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Who hates spyware?

There is only one way for this to work. SHUT UP and quietly PM someone for help.

Boonty Box is a very important piece of software that helps us get our download and it makes sure that Ubi and Oleg get what is theirs!

Be nice and make sure we can keep this system for 1946 and IL-10! One false move and the future add ons get more invasive and hurt your system more! We have a great system, we do not need greater amounts of Mal Ware embedding itself into our memory!

END TRANSMISSION

Tater-SW-
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Support malware so we can continue to get malware instead of maybe getting worse malware? Is that what you mean?

tater

NonWonderDog
04-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Ya know, sane online sellers give you a download and require a serial key in order to install. The good ones dictate that the serial key must be validated online and only used twice a month.

Why not something easy like this? Much less hassle, no easy piracy. The only legitimate users put out are those without internet connections, and those people usually don't buy online downloads. If needed, they could set up phone validation for those people.

Pirates would have to crack the installer and remove the serial check, rather than giving out keys only good twice a month or a key generator that generates unregistered and useless keys. Ubisoft would only have to maintain a database with all the keys given out and their use in the last month.

This system works *perfectly* with the indie game "Mount and Blade," and although it would take some infrastructure development to adapt it to the big leagues, I see no reason it can't be done.

But instead, Ubisoft feels the need to use a data mining program to distribute the file. BoontyBox in integrated into the il2.exe executable, supposedly as some kind of copy protection, but it's main purpose seems to be to collect and report data. The BoontyBox privacy policy itself says that they collect "aggregate data regarding the type and number of videogames you download, your age, gender, occupation, education level, geographic location, computer equipment data and on-line and video game interests, activities and practices" and "share [it] to games publishers." WHY? This is totally unnecessary an unacceptable.

I guess my method would need some safeguard against people just making a diff and distributing a zip file, but that's not my job. I don't care what kind of copy protection UBI uses, as long as it's unobtrusive and it doesn't involve sharing "aggregate data regarding the type and number of videogames you download, your age, gender, occupation, education level, geographic location, computer equipment data and on-line and video game interests, activities and practices" against my will.

BuzzardHead
04-29-2006, 01:49 PM
What's wrong with distributing the add-on in a packaged cd or dvd-rom? Cost? Less profit?

CornbreadPattie
04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
Support malware so we can continue to get malware instead of maybe getting worse malware? Is that what you mean?

tater </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PM.

zoinks_
04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
this is how i support companies. securom7 puts undeletable entries in registry from a demo i tried. too bad, its a good game - reformat. not buying this sony protection.

starforce - not buying.

elder scrolls iv - oblivion
copy protection = none, check cd at startup.
bought.

zoinks_
04-29-2006, 03:09 PM
another thing i get to laugh about today is this little tidbit from the rules of conduct page:
"Promote or encourage any illegal activity including hacking, cracking or distribution of counterfeit software."

can't discuss cd cracks etc. but alot of posts explaining BoontyBox work-arounds.

Treetop64
04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CornbreadPattie:
Who hates spyware?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, bro...

Read the entire EULA for BoontyBox, reconsider your thoughts, and see if you have the fortitude to post similar words again...

carguy_
04-29-2006, 06:19 PM
bite me

panzerd18
04-29-2006, 06:42 PM
"There is only one way for this to work. SHUT UP and quietly PM someone for help."

Who do we PM, you?

raisen
04-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Fantasy time.....

Raisen

J_Weaver
04-29-2006, 08:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuzzardHead:
What's wrong with distributing the add-on in a packaged cd or dvd-rom? Cost? Less profit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be too easy m8. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

darkhorizon11
04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
haha wow somebody has too much time and no girlfriend

nearmiss
04-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I believe this

If The Boontybox is Spyware/Malware or similar?

One thing is sure, if the software will do it and the EULA says they can...they will.

No reason to make a fuss, maybe time to be doing something else.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

CornbreadPattie
04-30-2006, 02:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panzerd18:
"There is only one way for this to work. SHUT UP and quietly PM someone for help."

Who do we PM, you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's a good start.

hotspace
04-30-2006, 11:41 AM
If I were you I wouldn't run before you can walk here m8. Not wise http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

CornbreadPattie
04-30-2006, 02:51 PM
i don't understand

Renegade__50
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
I want the Ubisoft flag ,That these Ubi lovers wave around and claim that they are protecting mr oleg. I wont be getting 4.05 not because i cant remove Boonty I can. Not because they will collect info on me,I can stop that also. It's because Oleg the great said He had no idea they would do that He only gave them a self extracter. Thats a bunch of **** If thats true then oleg is an idiot and I am surprised he is still in buisness. You mean to tell me that Olegs Attorneys did not have a contract signed? No liable and antitrust clauses? If Ubi had done as oleg said I am sure he would be suing them. Personally I couldnt care less about this game, After selling us PF that has no real PF in it I would never buy an 1C product again. As for the moderator that will be deleting this post so most of you cant read it. Hi http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuzzardHead:
What's wrong with distributing the add-on in a packaged cd or dvd-rom? Cost? Less profit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, less profit. Burning, labeling and handling/mailing a CD costs.

I have NO problem with a downloadable upgrade/add-on system. None at ALL. Just get rid of the marketing probeware, give me reason to believe my transaction is a safe one, and I'm all for it.

BueJack
04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Now, don't we have silly people who have not done their market research. I'll explain...

If I download the add-on and pay for it. It's on my computer BUT I do not own it... huh! oh yessir I'm afraid you do not have the disk in your hands - You know that old RELIABLE form of transaction (I give you cash - you hand me the disk).

So my PC crashes or I get a new hard drive. Have you ever tried to re-install XP ?? New software over the internet.
No ways dude you - the customer is a PIRATE. you must pay for a new activation number.

Suddenly the prophecy is true, as there are now a 1000000x more 'skull-and-crossbones' flying. and they say 'We told you so', without realising they've created the problem.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

e2michaelb
04-30-2006, 06:26 PM
What's a "Boonty Box"? And no, I am not being funny. I really don't know (I'm a virtual computer newbie, with the exception of virtual flying).

JunkoIfurita
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Believe it or not, I think online copy protection systems are a fine thing.

However, not when it gets in the way of playing the game. I'm one of those weird, heavily despised people: A Steam fanboy.

Now that's a system that makes online protection/distribution work well. Now I was never affected by the bugs in the earlier versions of this software (others were...and are now not), but I still like the idea. Account base it...purchase and download online, THEN make software available on any computer (one at a time) with steam installed...all I have to do is log in and download.

No losing or damaging CDs...I could forget about HL-2 for 15 years and, assuming Valve is still in business then, log in to my steam account and play my games again on whatever hardware I'm running at the time.

Boonty Box doesn't seem as friendly, though. I had a fairly seamless install through Boontybox...and unlike my bad experience with Starforce none of my software or hardware was affected by the running driver. It's no Steam, that's for sure, but it's better than Starforce.

Basically, I think a completely online distribution system such as Steam with protection built in Serverside (i.e. not mining your computer...it's all account based) and plenty of benefits is the way to go - infinitely preferable to virus-derivative extremist copy protection such as Starforce.

AKA_TAGERT
05-03-2006, 12:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CornbreadPattie:
Who hates spyware?

END TRANSMISSION </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bartender.. Ill have what he is drinkin

-HH-Quazi
05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
......or get left behind!...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Jabo_da_Hut1967
05-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Leeching,privacy intrusive, human rights abusing monetary vampires.

So many companies are destroying software.

No names, we know who they are.

I have tried everything but boonty.exe and now boonty_0001 still shows in processes.

So I found the reason/soloution here:

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=004614;p=0

What gives them the right to install software that enables itself to run even though I have turned it off on "MY" system?

What gives them the right to install software that re-installs itself even though I delete it from "MY" system?

When someone whom I invite into my home, overstays there welcome and when asked to leave does not but takes a dump in the middle of my living room instead and just smiles at me, I would concider this person a scumbag.

I have payed for your product like you want me too, I have not payed for malware or spyware.

If piracy is hurting your profits find another way to deal with these people instead of just infecting the masses with a blanket cure.

The future looks like this."We reserve the right to spy on you,to change your systems files and set-up, to generally do what we feel to your hard drive, to take a dump in your home in any room we choose, to take advantage of the miriad of noobie internet users out there signing on every day, who know jack about software but have large credit card accounts. Agree to these terms and conditions or you cannot download this game."

Stick you game were the sun doesn't shine pal.

Edit: Ugh, rant over, it's just that I get so frustrated when I see the direction the net/companies are going.

You can't even download a demo now without getting starforce or some other piece of junk trying to attach itself to your system.

Here is a nice company logo for anyone thinking about starting a new software company.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.mcallister77/jolly.jpg