PDA

View Full Version : Concerning GWX 2

Foehammer-1
12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey all, back when the original GWX came out, i tried it, and loved it, but couldn't handle more than 2 patrols. My game was a slideshow out of the base. Single merchants are fine, but whenever smoke breaks out, I can't even aim the periscope at it, since it takes a good half a second between each slide. Same issue in enemy ports and in convoys. That's why I gave up, since I couldn't even set up a decent shot due to the choppiness.

Right now I am running RUB 1.45 as well as the SH4 effects mod, it's slightly choppy with smoke around, but manageable. And I don't get slowdowns near ports.

My question is, if i get GWX 2, will the same issue repeat again? I can (barely) take the loading times, but a slideshow game isn't for me. How does it look then?

Foehammer-1
12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey all, back when the original GWX came out, i tried it, and loved it, but couldn't handle more than 2 patrols. My game was a slideshow out of the base. Single merchants are fine, but whenever smoke breaks out, I can't even aim the periscope at it, since it takes a good half a second between each slide. Same issue in enemy ports and in convoys. That's why I gave up, since I couldn't even set up a decent shot due to the choppiness.

Right now I am running RUB 1.45 as well as the SH4 effects mod, it's slightly choppy with smoke around, but manageable. And I don't get slowdowns near ports.

My question is, if i get GWX 2, will the same issue repeat again? I can (barely) take the loading times, but a slideshow game isn't for me. How does it look then?

Carotio
12-13-2007, 04:39 PM
If you mean, you have a FPS rate of 1-10 or something with the old version of GWX, you'll probably get the same with GWX2.0.
So you either stick with what you have of mods, or maybe think about upgrading your pc/buying a new one, if possible...

Kaleun1961
12-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Foehammer, what are the specs on your machine? That might give us some ideas as to possible suggestions.

Privateer_GWX
12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Haveing worked most every file in GWX 2.0
I find that my system runs a bit better then GWX 1.03!

Load times are just a tad longer but FPS is improved.

Zxemerox
12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
This might be a simple thing but when I'm surfaced and detect aircraft, the on screen window comes up with engage, continue or dive. I tried engage and continue but seconds later the window pops up again and again. I also tried clicking the box that says use by default but the problem persists. Am I missing something?
I haven't played this game in about 2 years but started up again. I cannot remember this problem ever. Does this have something to do with GWX 2.0?

Danlisa
12-14-2007, 01:45 AM
@ Zxemerox

This is a direct result of the edited enhanced scene.dat/visibility improvements/TC & funky Crew AI.

Basically, the spotted target drops in & out of the AI crews visual sensor. Hence the multiple popup. You can override the popup by setting your response as the default selection but you will no longer get the popup.

It is not limited to GWX, all forms of SH3 will get this.

My advise, set the default to DIVE. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Danlisa
12-14-2007, 01:50 AM
@ FoeHammer

PC specs would help. Also, knowing what AA & AF you are using.

However, if you have the recommended specs as indicated by SH3, you will be able to play GWX just fine.

Goose_Green
12-14-2007, 03:22 AM
I must admit, RAM is the main contributing factor with this game. I don't want to scare you Foehammer, but when I upgraded to 2Gb of RAM I found GWX ran extremely well with good fps even when there was lots of activity such as leaving and entering port. The biggest difference was going from the control room to the bridge, with 1Gb of RAM playing in GWX I found there was a lag of 5 seconds between transition of screens - with a lot of HDD activity too, as soon as I got an extra 1Gb there was no lag whatsoever, even smoke and harbour activity could not disrupt performance.

Even though 1Gb of RAM was able to manage high activity to a certain degree especially regarding the activity you mentioned, but it still cause some brief slow downs, but not nearly as bad as your problems.

I think the cheapest way to upgrade for the time being, and a quick fix, would be addressing any RAM issues. I believe RAM is quite cheap at the moment.

Zxemerox
12-14-2007, 05:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danlisa:
@ Zxemerox

This is a direct result of the edited enhanced scene.dat/visibility improvements/TC & funky Crew AI.

Basically, the spotted target drops in & out of the AI crews visual sensor. Hence the multiple popup. You can override the popup by setting your response as the default selection but you will no longer get the popup.

It is not limited to GWX, all forms of SH3 will get this.

My advise, set the default to DIVE. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx.
Although sometimes I'd rather stay surfaced but it's a small annoyance that I can live with.

Foehammer-1
12-14-2007, 07:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goose_Green:
I must admit, RAM is the main contributing factor with this game. I don't want to scare you Foehammer, but when I upgraded to 2Gb of RAM I found GWX ran extremely well with good fps even when there was lots of activity such as leaving and entering port. The biggest difference was going from the control room to the bridge, with 1Gb of RAM playing in GWX I found there was a lag of 5 seconds between transition of screens - with a lot of HDD activity too, as soon as I got an extra 1Gb there was no lag whatsoever, even smoke and harbour activity could not disrupt performance.

Even though 1Gb of RAM was able to manage high activity to a certain degree especially regarding the activity you mentioned, but it still cause some brief slow downs, but not nearly as bad as your problems.

I think the cheapest way to upgrade for the time being, and a quick fix, would be addressing any RAM issues. I believe RAM is quite cheap at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, maybe that's my issue. I've got 1024 MB RAM, and i can't add more cause there is no more space on the motherboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Hm, maybe i will indeed ask Santa for a new PC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Everything else had a green checkmark when i install SH3 and it does the system check or whatever....

A very dumb question, but... how does one get that page where it gives you all the specs? I once got it, but cant remember how for the life of me

Goose_Green
12-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Are you after your spec's or the spec's required for the game?

If it's your specs you are after then you could always try dxdiag in the run function of windows - I hope this gives you the info you need.

Danlisa
12-14-2007, 08:47 AM
To get the basic system specs:
Control Panel &gt; System properties

CPU, RAM & GFX Card will be displayed.

Just FYI, during testing of GWX 2.0, I was running a PC with the following specs and got 25-30 FPS in port, 80-100 at sea & 50-60 during convoy attacks.

P4 3.4ghz
1 gb Ram
x800 Pro

If you are even close to this, you should be fine.

Note - If you can, increase your virtual memory/swap file and if possible have it on a HDD that does not house the game you are running. IIRC Control Panel&gt;System Props&gt;Performance....(I can confirm this later.)

Kaleun1961
12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I would also suggest looking online for your motherboard manual, or even the paper manual to see what the limit is for the amount and type of RAM your system takes. Just because the available memory banks are occupied doesn't mean your system is "maxed out." System makers are famous for filling both banks of systems with only two RAM slots, especially Dell. If you currently have 2 x 512, you may be able to replace them with 2 x 1 GB for a total of 2 GB. Even if you have the paper manual, I'd also look up the specs on the boardmaker's website; BIOS updates may have been released that change the motherboard's capabilities.

Foehammer-1
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok, here is what i found.

Processor: 2.40 GHz total
1024 MB RAM
Radeon 9000 series, approx total memory 128MB

Ok, i think i see my problem.

First, yes, i didn't make myself clear, i can stick more RAM in there (I currently have 2 x 512). I just didn't go through the trouble of buying the 1024 MB ones and then worrying about what to do with the old ones http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Second, I noticed that i only have 128 megs of graphics card memory. I assume everyone here has more so GWX runs smooth?

Kaleun1961
12-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I've only got 128 on my video card: Nvidia GeForce 6600GT. It's up to the job, though. In GWX 2 with the heavy harbour traffic I get around 30 frames per second. At sea, I can time compress up to 2048 without much difficulty; 4096 is pushing it just a bit too much. Anyway, I'm happy with the time compression settings I am able to achieve.

Your system should be able to run SH3 alright. I'd really go with 2 GB of RAM, though. I don't know about your video card, but it seems like it should be adequate. If you're concerned about frame rates, then you could go some lower settings with GWX's optional mods: lite harbour mod instead of heavy, 8 km atmosphere mod instead of 16 km and a lower quality seafloor. Who cares about the harbour and seafloor, really? They're only eye candy that doesn't affect the core of the gaming experience. When I leave port, I view the map screen and time compress my way out. You do have to keep bumping it back up, though, due to the numerous reports of ships and planes being spotted. I really wish that could be turned off in port. "Ship sighted!? Really? No ****, Sherlock!" Sounds really dumb.