PDA

View Full Version : Long Throw Joystick Instructions?

Awagnerjcu08
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Hello,

I am interested in extending my x45 so that it can be placed on the floor and have a similar range of motion relative to the "real thing". (See http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7881032134)

I am not naturally handy, but can follow instructions. I am having difficulty finding resources about how to do it. My concerns are:

1. irreversably busting the whole thing (of course)
2. breaking the gimbals because of the increased leverage on the base
3. having to re-learn il-2 because of the change in motion-to-results.

Any help? Thanks!

Awagnerjcu08
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Hello,

I am interested in extending my x45 so that it can be placed on the floor and have a similar range of motion relative to the "real thing". (See http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7881032134)

I am not naturally handy, but can follow instructions. I am having difficulty finding resources about how to do it. My concerns are:

1. irreversably busting the whole thing (of course)
2. breaking the gimbals because of the increased leverage on the base
3. having to re-learn il-2 because of the change in motion-to-results.

Any help? Thanks!

Lurch1962
05-23-2007, 06:25 PM
If your stick has a more-or-less typical throw in each axis of +/- 30 degrees, be careful not to make the new shaft *too* long. You don't want to have to swing your stick hand across a 2-foot range (or do you?). Also, you might be banging your thighs and jewels around in the heat of battle!

First, you should think out just how much displacement you would like. Make a scale drawing so that you can plan effectively, and use the following formula:

===================================

stick height = linear throw / (angular throw / 57.2)
= 16 / (30/57.2)
= 16 / 0.524
= 30.5

NOTE: stick height is the distance from the joystick's pivot bearing to the top of the handle.
Linear throw is the distance the top of the stick's handle moves across the full range of motion of each axis (left/right and fore/aft.)
Angular throw is the angle over which the stick's shaft moves across the full range of motion of each axis (left/right and fore/aft.)

=======================================

For example, using the values in the formula above... Let's say you want a range between full left and full right of 16 inches (at the top of the stick's handle). If the stick has a throw of +/- 30 degrees, this would make for a total length of shaft extension plus handle of 30.5 inches.

In order that you don't break things, you could make a stout box for the stick's base, the top of which being a square hole which acts as additional (safety) stops against which the shaft extension hits while full deflection is applied.

Just a couple of ideas...

--Lurch--