PDA

View Full Version : [Serenia] "Dream" ? You've GOT to be kidding !

monsieurdavid
10-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Do I need whatever answers are here, or can I finish the game without this? Please, please tell me I can!

maztec
10-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Puzzle too hard for you david? :P

It's pretty straight forward.

Do you need the answers? No, if you know your primary colours and how to make white, you're fine.

Yes if you don't.

But it is also what lets you know that white is a good thing.

WHeee! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BlitzZeus
10-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Why are you giving up so easily? The first time I beat it, it took a while, and it was quite fustrating, however I beat it.

monsieurdavid
10-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Well, no, but there I was enjoying some Riven-style puzzles, and finally starting to have a good time, and then: the swirling 1960's swirling LSD light show starts. BTW, what on earth was edited from my original message? I didn't say anything nasty, or insult anyone . . . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BlitzZeus
10-30-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree that its not so much as a puzzle, but more like a mini-game in my opinion.

The random color changing around the cursor was the most annoying part, screwing up any progress you made in that area, and I had it happen three times in a row right as I was about to solve it... You could say I wasn't happy at that moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A mod edited your topic to reflect the age you were referring to, that is all, unless you said something really nasty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LMJ717
10-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Monsieurdavid: Are you still having trouble solving this one? Just remember to keep going in a square or triangle clockwise until all are white but one. When you get to that last one, it might be green or yellow, then make a triangle out of 3 white ones just to the right of that one, and start moving in a triangular clockwise motion. Make sure your original last color is yellow and then leave it alone until you have made all of the other 3 white again and then just move over to the yellow one that you kept aside and VOILA, the puzzle is solved! If it isn't solved at this point, then you have left another one somewhere. You can find it by just scrolling straight down over and over until you come back to your starting point. I found that is the easiest way to find orphans since you are in a sphere. Of course, they are moving constantly, so when you go back down to change their colors, make sure you follow the colored ones and don't touch any white ones along the way. I have played this puzzle many times in less than 10 minutes using this method. Hope it works for you.

monsieurdavid
11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks! However, it IS possible to "stagger" through this puzzle, which I did twice, and then wasn't quick enough to jot down the color arrangement -- so I was back at it for a third time. Little did I know that the Spirit Guide was lying about "this is the only time you will see this answer", since when you get to the old Dream Chamber, there it is again. BTW, raising and lowering the harvester, opening and closing the door to get a giant gulp of water, and opening and closing the drain, to get to the color puzzle has been the most satisfying (most Riven-like) puzzle for me in the entire game. To each his own, huh.

Adamk456
11-01-2004, 05:59 PM
[SPOILER]
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
Do you need the answers? No, if you know your primary colours and how to make white, you're fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When I tried to replay the game as quickly as possible, I found myself stuck getting to the door where the color code is entered. I had already done the harvester/water displacement puzzle, so I knew what to do there. I was unable to get to the door until after I went and got my spirit guide and went to Dream to do the puzzle and everything. So it seems like the dream puzzle is required ... unless I was just doing something wrong. Which is quite possible! Has anyone else finished the game without doing the dream puzzle?

maztec
11-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Adam, interesting. . I got through it without doing dream...

David, good to hear someone else thinks of it as an acid trip :P

Blitz: Actually the color changing isn't random, there is a very definite thing that causes it to happen. Takes a bit of figuring to stop triggering it, but once you figure out what causes it it's really straight forward.

I actually rather liked this puzzle.

Eat_My_Shortz
11-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Nah I say you've GOT to be kidding. This stupid puzzle is a letdown after all the "Dream" has hyped up to be.

Would you care to elaborate on what is causing the random changing, Maztec. None of this makes any sense to me at all. (Including the method LMJ717 outlined - I'm sorry that didnt help me at all).

And who wants to use the Hint Map? (I know this might only be for certain cards.) Mine says
Step 6. Keep going around in a square until .... (just stops suddenly)
Step 8. Repeat step 7 until they are all white

LOL -> It never says step 7. What a stupid stupid hint map.

Alahmnat
11-05-2004, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eat_My_Shortz:
Nah I say you've GOT to be kidding. This stupid puzzle is a letdown after all the "Dream" has hyped up to be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, having paid no attention to the marketing for this game, I can't say I agree or disagree with you... though looking through what *was* said about the game, Dream isn't even mentioned in official releases and such. I liked the puzzle too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And who wants to use the Hint Map? (I know this might only be for certain cards.) Mine says
Step 6. Keep going around in a square until .... (just stops suddenly)
Step 8. Repeat step 7 until they are all white

LOL -> It never says step 7. What a stupid stupid hint map. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your video card drivers are to blame, not the actual hint map. It's a documented issue that using the 67.xx video card drivers from nVIDIA, the hints get chopped off a certain distance down the page. Upgrading to the 68.11 beta drivers reportedly resolves this issue, and I would imagine the hint would make a fair amount more sense then.

Eat_My_Shortz
11-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks Alahmnat, sorry if I sounded grouchy.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, having paid no attention to the marketing for this game, I can't say I agree or disagree with you... though looking through what *was* said about the game, Dream isn't even mentioned in official releases and such. I liked the puzzle too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, it wasnt mentioned in the marketing. By "hype" I mean all the talk on the spoiler forum about this "Dream", plus all the extensive journals and dialogue about the Dream in the game before you go there.

About the drivers: Yes I am aware that its a videocard problem. Pretty wierd to have a text display problem blamed on the videocard.
I was not aware there were more recent drivers (I updated when I installed Myst IV a month ago). Thanks for the heads up.

So still, can anyone tell me what exactly is causing the random switching?

Adamk456
11-05-2004, 11:57 PM
It has something to do with going back onto the same spot you just moved from ... I can't really explain it without going in and experimenting. And I'm sure someone like maztec or Alahmnat could explain it without even thinking, so I'll leave it to them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Philkb
11-06-2004, 02:54 PM
It seems that if you stay too long on a cloud you just moved from, that all six outer clouds will change. I never looked to see if they all advanced one color sequence or if it was random. Also, I'm pretty sure, if you pass through a just moved on cloud twice, even in a short time, it will trigger the reset. Quite frustrating, as when it appears you're almost done, that's when you have the most trouble, not to mention having to "sacrifice" a white cloud so you could try to solve the group.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adamk456:
It has something to do with going back onto the same spot you just moved from ... I can't really explain it without going in and experimenting. And I'm sure someone like maztec or Alahmnat could explain it without even thinking, so I'll leave it to them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eat_My_Shortz
11-06-2004, 08:29 PM
No, I figured it out. (Or sort of extrapolated from another thread I was reading).

Staying too long doesnt have any effect.
Also moving back over one you've just come from doesnt do anything (including it doesnt change colour).

The reason it changes is if you move around anti-clockwise (or counter-clockwise for our american friends). The way to play is to keep moving clockwise all the time.

Also theres a trick to doing it. When you think you have to "sacrifice" a white cloud - don't do that. Sacrifice THREE white clouds, all touching each other. That way as you move over them, you can brush all three of them in a clockwise circle until they all turn white again, and move on.