PDA

View Full Version : Stuggling to get Jug airborne

stubby
08-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Hello all,

Flying the Jug under 4.01m and I am having a helluva of time getting this thing pig airborn. Currently I'm flying from the English Base on the Normandy base and my load-out is full (ie, full fuel, 1000lb bomb + rockets). It basically takes me the entire length of runway to get my air speed to around 140-150mph. It then takes me another few hundred yards of English soil to get the speed up to around 160-170mph before I'm greeted with the Channel. I do get her airborn by this point but geez, it's a white knuckle affair. I should have enough speed to get her airborne before the runway runs out, correct?

My current take-off settings. Full power (110%), no flaps. I'm pretty sure the brake has been disengaged because I don't hear the audible screech but that's the only thing I can think of that's causing drag. Is there a way to confirm brake has been released? Thanks for any tips on this matter.

stubby

stubby
08-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Hello all,

Flying the Jug under 4.01m and I am having a helluva of time getting this thing pig airborn. Currently I'm flying from the English Base on the Normandy base and my load-out is full (ie, full fuel, 1000lb bomb + rockets). It basically takes me the entire length of runway to get my air speed to around 140-150mph. It then takes me another few hundred yards of English soil to get the speed up to around 160-170mph before I'm greeted with the Channel. I do get her airborn by this point but geez, it's a white knuckle affair. I should have enough speed to get her airborne before the runway runs out, correct?

My current take-off settings. Full power (110%), no flaps. I'm pretty sure the brake has been disengaged because I don't hear the audible screech but that's the only thing I can think of that's causing drag. Is there a way to confirm brake has been released? Thanks for any tips on this matter.

stubby

Diablo310th
08-30-2005, 05:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">b </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stubby...with that much weight your'e going to have to use TakeOff flaps.

JG53Frankyboy
08-30-2005, 06:08 AM
and you realy dont need 100% fuel on that map http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
50% is enough http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-30-2005, 06:35 AM
50% fuel in the jug is enough for any map. Also, as Diablo said, use those flaps. 4.01 requires their use more than ever...especially with a full load. Also, taxi to the end of the runway if you need to to get as much runway as you can.

With a full load, the jug is a pig.

TB

stubby
08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the help. The only reason I go 100% fuel on that Normandy map is due to flak. We've been using the stock DCG campaign and there's nasty ack batteries along the coast, hidden in haystacks in every French farm from Caen to Falaise. I'm just scared I'll get popped behind the lines and leak all my fuel out. Looks like I 'll have to take that chance. As it stands now, i've used up my all my luck in terms of getting that pig off the deck. I'm bound to splash her in the drink before long. Out of curiousity, does the weight between 50% fuel and 100% fuel really make that much difference?

thanks again! stubby

Diablo310th
08-30-2005, 08:19 AM
stubby.....50% fuel is plenty like T-Bolt said. Yeah tehre is alot of weight difference between 50 and 100%.

stubby
08-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Diablo. I'm going to whip up a practice mission and just hammer out some take-offs at 50% fuel until it becomes routine. As it stands now, I have to receive last rights before each take-off because nobod knows if I can even get her off the deck w/ 100% fuel + full load-out.

WOLFMondo
08-30-2005, 08:39 AM
The difference is around 150 gallons.

Get the engine to full power with the breaks down at the very end of the runway then release the breaks for the best possible run.

As the other guys say, use the flaps but I tend to only put them down after I've covered at least half the runway. Some positive elevator trim will also help.

BSS_Goat
08-30-2005, 10:04 AM
and gas weighs about 6lb per gallon

thats 900 lbs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Diablo310th
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
The difference is around 150 gallons.

Get the engine to full power with the breaks down at the very end of the runway then release the breaks for the best possible run.

As the other guys say, use the flaps but I tend to only put them down after I've covered at least half the runway. Some positive elevator trim will also help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww yeah Mondo..I forgot....a little upward elevator trim is an automatic for me..that's why I didn't mention it. And oh yeah...keep the radiator closed, per other thread.

Waldo.Pepper
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Watch the Movie Thurderbolt.

Its a real movie, not an IL2 movie.

The real pilots can barely get them in the air too. The poor jugs can barely limp into the air. Their climb angle is soooo shallow.

Bearcat99
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
That sounds about right.

WOLFMondo
08-31-2005, 12:26 AM
i saw a pilot interview once and he stated they had to use the water methanol injection to get off the ground.

i guess the one thing the 9th af jugs could have done with is a good low alt supercharger rather than one geared for high altitude work.

stubby
08-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Update:

First of all, you guys have been a great help and your advice has paid off.

Going 50% fuel (w/ full bomb load out), positive elevator trim, full power, take-off flaps right before I attempt to actually get gears up, works. It's still far from routine and still a un-nerving but I didn't crash in my 6 take-offs lastnight. that's a huge improvement. the importance of this is that i'm participating in an online war that has a single death kick feature. they may only run one - two hour session per night so getting death kicked afer two minutes is painful. I should know, I did this in a Jug last week the first time I tried to take-off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Again, thanks a million and I look forward to moving some serious mud in ths beast.

WOLFMondo
08-31-2005, 05:30 AM
Cool. I guess we'll see you in the skies over Europe or the Pacific looking for a fat ground target to bomb.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cajun76
08-31-2005, 08:21 AM
With full bombs, I'd say give it 3 clicks up elevator, but with less, try 1-2. 10-12 clicks right rudder should keep you fairly straight at cruise, depending on weather on the map, perhaps a tap of aileron too if required. If you use TO flaps, wait until the last 25% of the runway to pop them, as soon as your up you can go to combat flaps to get your speed up while maitaining positive climb. Ideally you should cruise/climb around 400 or so. This gives you more options if your bounced and is a good balance of speed and climb.

All great advice posted above mine, find what suits your style. Good luck and

tttiger6BL
08-31-2005, 04:45 PM
One more point...I've flown all over the Normandy map in a Jug and never used up the 25 percent fuel I carry. It isn't that big a map.

I give it 30-35 taps (on the keyboard) of right rudder trim before I start to roll. Then back about 25 taps to the left once airborne. Stays nice and straight on the runway.

I start my roll with takeoff flaps (I don't pop 'em going down the runway) and never have had a problem lifting off the British base.

Forget the rockets. You can't dogfight with those tubes attached. 2x500 and 1x1,000 will take care of any target. And they aren't very accurate. Wish we had HVARs, Jug was the first plane in ETO to use them (my uncle was a Jug pilot in the 406th FG, 9th AF, and they called themselves "The Rocketeers" because they were the first to use HVARs), but I also wish we had lots of other stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But your big mistake was not using flaps and waay to much fuel. I think you got that figured out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

ttt

mortoma
08-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Hmmmmmm, I just went into FMB and made a mission with full fuel, a 1,000bler and the rockets and had no trouble launching from a standard grass airfield strip. I did nothing fancy with trim and started with landing flaps down at at the start of the roll and also started at the normal position.

Mjollnir111675
08-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Well I'll tell ya I'm still 'Juggling to get a StuG airborne' but the darned things are so heavy!!

Must be all that armor, that cannon and ammo!! And I bet the tracks help to keep it earth bound as well.

Otto Carius said it couldn't be done but I still search for the source that says it can indeed be done!!

Nah just foolin'!! But seriously when can Panthers fly??

Late,

LawDog007
09-02-2005, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the importance of this is that i'm participating in an online war that has a single death kick feature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like it would be fun. Do you mind giving a link for it?

Law

WOLFMondo
09-02-2005, 08:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tttiger6BL:

Forget the rockets. You can't dogfight with those tubes attached. 2x500 and 1x1,000 will take care of any target. And they aren't very accurate. Wish we had HVARs, Jug was the first plane in ETO to use them (my uncle was a Jug pilot in the 406th FG, 9th AF, and they called themselves "The Rocketeers" because they were the first to use HVARs), but I also wish we had lots of other stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your going ground pounding forget dogfighting, take all the toys you can take and enough fuel to survive multipe fuel leaks. Its pretty much hopeless dogfighting with a jug at low altitude unless you have help so just blow up what you need to blow up and run for it.

Rockets not accurate? I'm accurate with them, I can nail a Panzer IV at 600m probably 8 times out of 10 with the right convergence and approach speed. There great for both tanks and picking of AA guns in quick succession on the inital attack!

stubby
09-02-2005, 08:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LawDog007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the importance of this is that i'm participating in an online war that has a single death kick feature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like it would be fun. Do you mind giving a link for it?

Law </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. They've been running 'dry-runs' but will be ready for the real deal within a week.

http://cot.simjunkie.com/

sgilewicz
09-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm with you Mondo! I've found the rockets to be fairly accurate once one has practiced with them enough. In a shallow attack I've found that it's best to put the crosshairs slightly above your target since there is a bit of drop in the missile's trajectory, relative to guns and cannons. They are extremely useful for eliminating flak prior to the main target run where you will want to use those 500 or 1000 pounders. I am currently flying a P51 campaign and it is frustrating as *ell to be flying in a relatively fragile bird without rockets! The jug, lightning, corsair and hellcat are far better ground pounders imho because of their diverse loadouts not to mention irl those big radials and tough airframes (don't always see that in game however http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif). What was the conclusion btw regarding Mustangs carrying rockets? I seem to remember reading posts in GD that they didn't in the ETO but did in the PTO. Was this true?