PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want To See Some Entirely New On-foot?

Assault_machine
12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Just pick "yes" or "no." As for me, the answer is yes. If it is to be not new, I will just so suddenly hate it for being a copycat.

With more games starting to push the free-roam genre forward, including APB (All-Point Bulletin), Saints Row 2 (will offer a dark setting and some gameplay not found in the GTA games), Prototype, and some others, there is no reason why Driver shouldn't be made to fit in this category.

To me, it is pointless to think that I'll be happy, even if the on-foot gameplay will be very the same as games before it because it'll get very repetitive soon.

And if I'm lucky to have the majority say that they either want new on-foot, I hope that Reflections will very aware enough to fill these dreams that not only I, but you guys too, that I'm sure of, have been hoping, for a while now. We've been expecting the Driver franchise to take a very good and new direction, but that has hardly been the case. Most importantly, the on-foot has been the most distracting at making critics and fans just be bored by the overall games, so now it must come to a new approach, or be gone forever.

Whether you agree with my whole post or not, do vote if you want Reflections to work on entirely new on-foot for the Driver franchise.

Driverman2006
12-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes I do want to see some new and improved on foot stuff my friend!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But I think they can save themselves if they make the missions all driving motavated (like having it so you have a time limit, a certain vehicle to drive and not wreck, or a guy to chase down). I love how D:PL has on foot action, but it's a very driving-motivated game (when it comes to missions and side missions). Pretty much every mission in D:PL has you chasing somebody, driving a required vehicle, or being pressured by a time limit. I hope Ubisoft-Reflections can continue with that, but still include on foot action when you're just in your free time. I mean, that's only fair. And all games need fairness (as well as freedom).

InsaneDriver06
12-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Without question, yes if on foot returns.
But where can they take on foot that hasn't already been covered in games?

Walk, jog, run, squat, sit, roll, strafe, leap, jump, climb, shoot, lift objects, punch, kick, slide, throw, cling to vehicles... are just some options for on foot that have already been done in other games.

What new experience can they offer that no other game has? First, what is already covered, should be done really well, so when compared to hits like Gears of War, it holds its own in terms of quality and action.

The camera is what's going to bring players into the role of the character. Consider a game where the camera is too far out, like True Crime NYC. You don't really get a sense you're IN the game, but rather watching it from outside. Games like Resident Evil 4 offer a great camera view for exploration and shooting, while also giving visual feedback of your character's condition and bringing you INTO the experience, much like a FPS.

PennySillin
12-15-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure every answer will be yes

But you need to follow up on that, instead of just saying we want new gameplay, elaborate on it, because "new" is very vague.

The biggest thing in my mind is make exploring the cities actually worth it. Ever since D2, you can explore all you want and never come up with anything. It got a little better when they added the Timmies, then the stars. Thats only one addition per game, and they're very few and far between.

One secret car per city? Lame, they should be peppered all over. Were there any secret cars in DPL even? I don't seem to remember any.

When you add an interior to a building, hide something in there. It could be the smallest of secrets, but at least it gives you a reason to keep exploring. And be creative, don't just put it out in the open, make it so we have to crawl through a vent system to a secret room. Or inside a cabinet (make cabinets and doors open automatically, I'd hate to stand at every one of them and press X, thats annoying.

Driverman2006
12-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by PennySillin:
One secret car per city? Lame, they should be peppered all over. Were there any secret cars in DPL even? I don't seem to remember any.

Yes, the racecars were "Secret" ones. You had to unlock them though.

PennySillin
12-15-2007, 09:21 AM
The punk cars? Hardly worth it, racing mode was boring.

Driverman2006
12-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Basically, any vehicle you don't see in traffic is a "Secret" vehicle in D:PL.

Assault_machine
12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Maybe it's a bit unrealistic to think that everything of on-foot can be made entirely new, but if it heads into a similar direction as Gears of War went for improving many elements of previous games, it will truly be a great game.

However, this doesn't mean that we can't see a set of new elements come into play which GTA hasn't yet thought of. I think that a better focus on what hasn't been made yet, but sure is necessary, is what Driver could handle as just one of the many ways to make new and unique gameplay.

InsaneDriver06
12-16-2007, 09:04 AM
One element mentioned earlier was ON FOOT CHASES. I'd like a number of times where Tanner had to pursue a crook on foot through the crowded streets. But not slow or clumsy, something fast, intense as though you're just over Tanner's shoulder, racing after the crook, bumping into people left and right, leaping over boxes, dodging through heavy traffic, just barely missing that oncoming car.

One way to keep ON FOOT exciting is limiting the camera to over the shoulder or First Person. Go further out, and you end up with DPL, GTA, True Crime, Driv3r, Spider-Man 2 and 3. Those views take you OUT of the experience, detaching you from the intensity of BEING the character, for the sake of a wider, "safe" viewpoint.

So to take a new approach, over the shoulder and FPS view ONLY to keep the player "in the moment" RE4 style, rather than "from a bird's eye view". (For comparison, How exciting is it watching a little PSP screen versus playing it on a huge widescreen TV?)

PennySillin
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Good ideas there. I like the expansion on that idea. The camera change would be cool too. I would only want it to change to complete first person view for shooting, cause I hate when the player blocks half the screen.

I do think over the shoulder would be most effective for on foot chases though, with the character blocking a bit of the screen, it would make everything more frantic.

Imagine on the last mission, chasing down the guy you've been after the whole game, through thickly crowded streets, you can hear your back-up a few blocks away, but not close enough to help you. The music would have to put you on the edge of your seat.

A car chase just ended and the guy jumps out on foot, he's almost at his safehouse where he's leading you into an ambush, make it nearly impossible to stop him before then. Anyway, his buddies aren't far behind in their black Mercedes (2 or 3 of them), hanging out the windows with Ak's, lighting up the street (this is the only instance I would support a shaky camera, ensuring you can't get off a shot on the guy, or at least hampering your ability). Also you should hear your character panting and heartbeat getting more intense as the chase progresses, jumping over obstacles

The guys in the mercedes are plowing through the crowd after you, trying to pin you against a wall (you should be able to look back and fire, while running forward still). When public enemy #1 ducks inside a door to a Matrix-esque indoor chase, jumping off patio's onto steel fire escapes, and finally ends up back at his place. The Mercedes guys are right behind you, and your back-up is nowhere in sight, you have to hold off the ambush as long as you can...

Anyway, just try and imagine that, then take two of these and call me in the morning!

InsaneDriver06
12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, that'd be a cool on foot chase mission.

kalle90
01-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Full First Person view. I look through my eyes and see my body, weapon etc. and when i get to car the view stays and i really am inside the vehicle seeing all the details. Maybe even radio and such.

More moves (Sitting on bench in driver 2 was fun, and with better AI even more fun) on foot and making it all less stiff. Current is just rock statue compared to almost anything. Something more like Sam Fisher.

Neither view works fine. First person view is too restricted and slow while 3rd person is slow and shows all the clumsyness.

InsaneDriver06
01-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by kalle90:
Full First Person view. I look through my eyes and see my body, weapon etc. and when i get to car the view stays and i really am inside the vehicle seeing all the details. Maybe even radio and such.

More moves (Sitting on bench in driver 2 was fun, and with better AI even more fun) on foot and making it all less stiff. Current is just rock statue compared to almost anything. Something more like Sam Fisher.

Neither view works fine. First person view is too restricted and slow while 3rd person is slow and shows all the clumsyness.

Test Drive Unlimited lets you view your arms, legs while in the car, able to look all around facing forward. Great interior view Driver should offer.

ON FOOT: At least three camera choices, or adjustable cameras that lock at the angle you want them, including FPView.

kalle90
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalle90:

Test Drive Unlimited lets you view your arms, legs while in the car, able to look all around facing forward. Great interior view Driver should offer.

ON FOOT: At least three camera choices, or adjustable cameras that lock at the angle you want them, including FPView. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I have a demo. I wish i could leave the vehicle, and still have FP all the time. Entering or leaving the vehicle should be FP also, don't ruin it by having 3rd person view there.
It just looks bit ugly in TD:U with skinny hands and horrible motorbike without working meters. But overall that's pretty much it, with openable windows.

Feeling like Im really the charachter, walking on sunny bridge watching my legs and having weapon in hand, and then really crawling inside my car and turning radio on with my hand. That's good.

The more views, the better, if I don't have to cycle through them all.

InsaneDriver06
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by kalle90:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalle90:

ON FOOT: At least three camera choices, or adjustable cameras that lock at the angle you want them, including FPView. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I have a demo. I wish i could leave the vehicle, and still have FP all the time. Entering or leaving the vehicle should be FP also, don't ruin it by having 3rd person view there.
It just looks bit ugly in TD:U with skinny hands and horrible motorbike without working meters. But overall that's pretty much it, with openable windows.

Feeling like Im really the charachter, walking on sunny bridge watching my legs and having weapon in hand, and then really crawling inside my car and turning radio on with my hand. That's good.

The more views, the better, if I don't have to cycle through them all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be cool, I agree. The only time it would switch to over the shoulder is when you press the button for it.

CAMERA VIEWS: As far as cycling through the Test Drive Unlimited views, they offer six camera views. Once you find one you like, you can stick with it the entire game. In Driver, two main views doesn't cut it anymore. Reflections, more camera views please, especially interior dash. A new view of the game world keeps the game fresh, longer/better replay value.

Imagine if Driver only offered ONE view, say a camera from a helicopter, like a top down racer with no option to switch cameras? Kind of like playing Spider-Man 2 and 3 on the PS2/PS3, which had only one camera, too far from the character.