PDA

View Full Version : b17

harold x
03-08-2006, 04:45 PM
has anyone found it almost impossible to shot down a b17 from the rear. the rear gunners accuracy is perfect.able to hit& down tagets at more than 80m. AI reargunner unrealistic? I spent a long time trying to down a b17 at diffeent angles of attack. found it difficult. i was hit on all occasssions. 20mm guns require several attacks to bring b17 down. given the accuracy of the gunners makes it near impossible to down b17.

harold x
03-08-2006, 04:45 PM
has anyone found it almost impossible to shot down a b17 from the rear. the rear gunners accuracy is perfect.able to hit& down tagets at more than 80m. AI reargunner unrealistic? I spent a long time trying to down a b17 at diffeent angles of attack. found it difficult. i was hit on all occasssions. 20mm guns require several attacks to bring b17 down. given the accuracy of the gunners makes it near impossible to down b17.

LUFT11_Hoflich
03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by harold x:
has anyone found it almost impossible to shot down a b17 from the rear. the rear gunners accuracy is perfect.able to hit& down tagets at more than 80m. AI reargunner unrealistic? I spent a long time trying to down a b17 at diffeent angles of attack. found it difficult. i was hit on all occasssions. 20mm guns require several attacks to bring b17 down. given the accuracy of the gunners makes it near impossible to down b17. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wellcome to IL-2 Starwars series.

As most people know here, you have to use X-wing tactics, and by that I mean, geting inside the deathstar B17 or B25, get out of your plane, and shoot every bomber crewmember with your pistol, get into your fighter again, and get the hell outta there b4 u go down with the ship also. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

On a more serious note...
Try Head on attacks m8, takes practice but when you master it, you won't have to fly inside one of those and shoot ppl with your pistol again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

H¶f... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Chuck_Older
03-08-2006, 05:09 PM
AI gunner accuracy has long been questioned. According to Oleg, the accuracy is correct.

I have no trouble believing that a .50 machine gun can be accurate. What I question is, in addition to the AI shooting through their own planes with no ill effects, and being able to lead you even though they can't see you when their own plane is in the way (a human has to look through a window, the AI has senses above mere vision, to simulate their abilities), and even in addition to their ability to accurately train a weapon in a bucking unstable gun platform, is how they are so accurate with their first few rounds

If they were accurate cumulatively, for instance- not very accurate at first at long range, then with a second burst slightly accurate, another burst fairly accurate, and then finally very accurate, that would be one thing, but nailing me on the first shot many times in a row, I question

However, attacking a B-17 formation made Luftwaffe pilots' blood go cold.

Make high deflection side shots. The USN called this the 'High side attack'.

You come in from a good height advantage, from his beam (side). You dive down on him, line up his flight path with your nose, and pour lead into his path. Kick the rudder, avoiding a collision, then use your speed to zoom back up into a climb to regain your advantage. Then repeat the attack from the other side. With a little practice, you can rake the entire side of the plane from nose to tail. If you have my 'When Tigers Could Fly' campaign, the intro movie shows how this attack is performed and repeated

jarink
03-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Just like the movie said, attack from
12 O' Clock High

Aim for the cockpit for pilot kills or outboard engines. Beam (side) attacks, start from either high or low and aim for the outer wing sections. Taking off the wing outboard of the engines is a much easier kill with a few cannon rounds than shooting up the fuselage or inboard wings. Another very effective angle if you're really good at deflection shooting is from straight above. There's really no way for the AI to return fire since the dorsal turret isn't capable of firing straight up.