PDA

View Full Version : This new way of distributing (patch) software.

AKA_TG
05-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I was hoping to start a thread about this because I am totally dissapointed in how this patch was handled by ubi soft and I was wondering what others feel about this 'new way' of getting software. New way, as in kind of like you don't really own it. I know its not there yet but... This whole thing feels sooo Microsoft like to me.

I have been seeing more of this in my work too . Software companies are trying to sell their product bundled in such a way as to be a service, almost like a rental. We should be watching this very closely and I have not seen any protests about it. Is this too hot a subject for posting here? I think it does relate to this game because look at all the trouble it caused.

AKA_TG
05-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I was hoping to start a thread about this because I am totally dissapointed in how this patch was handled by ubi soft and I was wondering what others feel about this 'new way' of getting software. New way, as in kind of like you don't really own it. I know its not there yet but... This whole thing feels sooo Microsoft like to me.

I have been seeing more of this in my work too . Software companies are trying to sell their product bundled in such a way as to be a service, almost like a rental. We should be watching this very closely and I have not seen any protests about it. Is this too hot a subject for posting here? I think it does relate to this game because look at all the trouble it caused.

VW-IceFire
05-13-2006, 10:28 AM
You missed the flurry of complaints. Its not as big of an issue as first made out.

1) Boonty doesn't call home except to download the patch and that coupled with some very detailed analysis of its internet activity has established that its not spyware

2) The patch still ends up being a patch in your hands

3) We still have the trump card...once I have all of the new addon packs I'm going to burn my entire install to a backup DVD. That way I'm good to go next time I reformat.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-13-2006, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TG:
This whole thing feels sooo Microsoft like to me.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your curious read all the other threads about the bloody subject don't just start a new one.

If your genuinly concerned

then

Perhaps you would be happier with Target Ware and Linux

IL2 is a written on a windose platform, its he best dam combat sim out there for now , what choice do you have?

Whats your real tag?

Old_Canuck
05-13-2006, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
You missed the flurry of complaints. Its not as big of an issue as first made out.

1) Boonty doesn't call home except to download the patch and that coupled with some very detailed analysis of its internet activity has established that its not spyware

2) The patch still ends up being a patch in your hands

3) We still have the trump card...once I have all of the new addon packs I'm going to burn my entire install to a backup DVD. That way I'm good to go next time I reformat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Ice-Fire to disagree with you and with all due respect -- Boonty is a nightmare. The only way I can get my computer to work free of lines and artifacts since BB is to clear the registry and reboot. This morning it was two reboots. There's still one Boonty folder in the registry I haven't been able to delete and when my computer tech. friend drops over, he'll likely focus on that because he assured me that if it was a video card problem it would not be solved by cleaning the registry and rebooting.

jasonbirder
05-13-2006, 10:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was wondering what others feel about this 'new way' of getting software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i thought it was great...I sat in my study in my shorts pressed a few buttons and voila! There it was comfortably installed on my PC...and it only cos 9.99...You can't buy lunch for 9.99 no need to traipse round different shops looking for one that stocked it...no waiting around for the postman to arrive...it was a piece of cake...and I for one hope the next two expansions are released in the same way...
I feel sorry for people who haven't got credit cards...'cos I can see it be a grade 1 pain in the *ss for them to acquire...but they are a small minority...for everyone else download distribution takes convenience to a new level...

AKA_TAGERT
05-13-2006, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TG:
I was hoping to start a thread about this because I am totally dissapointed in how this patch was handled by ubi soft and </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is not a patch, it is an addon.

I was wondering what others feel about this 'new way' of getting software. New way, as in kind of like you don't really own it. I know its not there yet but... This whole thing feels sooo Microsoft like to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I like the new way, pay and download, it is the wave of the future.. boxes on the shelf will be gone soon, get use to it or get out of it.

I have been seeing more of this in my work too . Software companies are trying to sell their product bundled in such a way as to be a service, almost like a rental. We should be watching this very closely and I have not seen any protests about it. Is this too hot a subject for posting here? I think it does relate to this game because look at all the trouble it caused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not too hot in that it has nothing to do with this addon, it is not a bundle, it is not a rental. Just because you DL instead of buying the CD does not mean your only renting it.

This same kind of whining came up a few years back when game companies, mostly flight sims caught heck for not including the hard copy book in their games anymore and putting it on the CD in a pdf format. Adjust with tech advances or get left behind, it is that simple.

Old_Canuck
05-13-2006, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Adjust with tech advances or get left behind, it is that simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Count me in as one who is left behind. Goodbye everbody, for the most part I've enjoyed the 3 years interacting with you all in this forum.

DmdSeeker
05-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Let's not mix too many issues together...

Firstly the method of distribution; i.e. a downloadable packege.

This; I feel is just GREAT! it means that the software is always available (tried finding Aces expansion pack in the shops recently?); and I think any one complaining about downloading the add on is probably being a bit insincere; after all we've all downloaded the prior patches (which together are much larger than the current add on)without too much trouble. Once downloaded they can always be burnt to CD or moved to other storage methods with out too much trouble.

So I'm cool with a download.

Secondly there's payment. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to accept credit card payment for an internet download. Credit cards are probably the safest for the consumer; as credit card companies are legaly obliged to reimburse the consumer if there's any hint of fraud. That being said; I do think it's very short sighted of Ubi to limit payment to credit card only; especialy as this is a game we're talking about; and it's a fair bet that a sizeable slice of potential customers will be minors and therefore may have the credit for the purpose but not the card. They could just as well accepted paypal as well, for instance.

Thirdly there's Booty box. You know there's something seriously wrong here when the game developer is giving instructions on how to reverse engineer and avoid the game publisher's distribution methodology. In short, this particular roll out has been an absolute dogs breakfast. I can't condem the incompentce of the implementation nor the tardy response to theproblems enough. Don't they WANT to sell their wares???

So in short:

Download good; Booty bad.

Stigler_9_JG52
05-13-2006, 12:55 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I too am all for downloadable upgrades. It IS the wave of the future.

It just needs to be done better than that horrible Boonty.

We should not have to be fiddling with registries doing a whole lot of maintenance and "cleaning up" to recover from a mere upgrade to a flight sim software package.

AKA_TAGERT
05-13-2006, 12:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
Count me in as one who is left behind. Goodbye everbody, for the most part I've enjoyed the 3 years interacting with you all in this forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey dont blaim ubi because you just happened to click on country select and bumped your mouse wheel and scrolled down to french! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Targ
05-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Why are you people going into the registry to clean out boonty?
Simply click on un-install and it goes away.
If you are worried about stray registry entries left behind than use a registry cleaner and do it right.
99% of windows software leaves behind odds and ends in the registry.
Good luck to you and to be honest that looks jut like a video card going bad in the early stages.
Have you checked the dust bunnies in the case or tried to un-install re-install the video drivers?
Have your tech friend bring another vid card for trouble shooting.

AWL_Spinner
05-13-2006, 01:23 PM
OC - hope you're not serious about throwing in the towel, have enjoyed your contributions to the forums.

Honestly, I'd be utterly shocked if your video card issues have anything to do with software.

Boonty is a mild pain, but it's not a machine wrecker.

IMHO, your "fix" of running the registry cleaner and rebooting is working simply because you're... rebooting. The power interruption is probably cooling the video card to the point where it works for a bit - sounds like it's shot. I've had video cards go before in a similar fashion.

Horribly unfortunate it's coincided with your download, granted.

Old_Canuck
05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
OC - hope you're not serious about throwing in the towel, have enjoyed your contributions to the forums.

Honestly, I'd be utterly shocked if your video card issues have anything to do with software.

Boonty is a mild pain, but it's not a machine wrecker.

IMHO, your "fix" of running the registry cleaner and rebooting is working simply because you're... rebooting. The power interruption is probably cooling the video card to the point where it works for a bit - sounds like it's shot. I've had video cards go before in a similar fashion.

Horribly unfortunate it's coincided with your download, granted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I owe the forum an apology for muddying the issues with my lack of computer knowledge.

You guys are right .. BB is a mild pain .. I've had worse and it turns out the vid card IS failing. I'm happy about that because it makes it easier to upgrade for BoB. One of the reasons this forum rocks is because the truth will eventually surface out of the muddy waters.

Feeling kind of foolish and will take a break from the forum for awhile. See you all in the BoB forum.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-13-2006, 10:17 PM
No need to be down mate we all have bad days and good no need to go into exile.

As for feeling foolish sheeeeet thats a human condition.

Glad you got to the bottom of your problem http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pentallion
05-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Well I'm not buying it until I can buy it off a shelf.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Best book yourself a flight to moscow then thats about the only place your going to find in on the shelf http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

flakwagen
05-14-2006, 05:40 AM
I wouldn't mind downloading it if it was possible to remove Boonty without so much trouble, or if Boonty was just an install/online registration program and not what some allege to be pseudo-spyware.

Valve Software did a decent job of distributing Half-Life 2 and the associated add-ons with their STEAM engine. It is essentially just an elaborate license verification and content downloading application.

Maybe it is even worse than Boonty- I don't keep close enough track of the gaming world to discern the drama from genuine dismay. If this Boonty thing is supposed to be a primitive incarnation of a STEAM-like application layer, then fine. But the public reaction to it leads me to think this isn't the case.

At any rate, there are still plenty of good 4.04m servers online, so I'm going to put it off until they are all gone.

Flak

AKA_TAGERT
05-14-2006, 09:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flakwagen:
Valve Software did a decent job of distributing Half-Life 2 and the associated add-ons with their STEAM engine. It is essentially just an elaborate license verification and content downloading application. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Your kidding right?

The STEAM engine is more than just that.. It is everything that everyone is accusing Booty of being! Just one example, you can NOT play HL2 or any other STEAM game without the STEAM engine installed and running in the back ground sucking up resorces. Where as with Booty, once you install the game you can un-install Booty. Long story short, STEAM is more resident spy-ware than Booty ever was!

Now to be clear, I have no problem with the STEAM concept, it is the wave of the future, just found it funny that some folks like you have no problem with STEAM yet a problem with Booty.. and all the negative stuff they accused Booty of being are not true, yet very true of the STEAM engine.. yet nobody is yatching about STEAM and now holding it up as the shinning example of how to do it.. TOO FUNNY

flakwagen
05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:

Now to be clear, I have no problem with the STEAM concept, it is the wave of the future, just found it funny that some folks like you have no problem with STEAM yet a problem with Booty.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I mentioned that I don't keep very close track of the gaming scene. I'm not opposed to Boonty per se, but I can see that it obviously ticks alot of folks off. If it worked well, regardless of its task, I don't think we'd see as many complaints.

I will say that the problems Win98 users have encountered appall me. I don't use 98 but I understand why they are ticked off. Releasing an add-on that requires a newer OS for a game that does not require said OS is inconsiderate to say the least.

Flak

Pentallion
05-15-2006, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
Best book yourself a flight to moscow then thats about the only place your going to find in on the shelf http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best Ubi start booking a flight to America for their product cuz that's where my MONEY is!

Capt._Tenneal
05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, looking at it realistically. One of you has to bite the bullet. Just a thought, if UBI deems that this method worked, what if this was used for SOWBOB as the standard way of disrtibuting addons ? That's an awful long time to be waiting for a copy to make it to the shelves.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pentallion:
Best Ubi start booking a flight to America for their product cuz that's where my MONEY is! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think they are going to miss your 7 dollars somehow? But Its your choice and I respect your right to make it.

steve_v
05-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I was hoping to start a thread about this because I am totally dissapointed in how this patch was handled by ubi soft and I was wondering what others feel about this 'new way' of getting software. New way, as in kind of like you don't really own it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am grateful that Ubi decided to make available the Russian add-ons to the western markets. As many recall, there was an effort made in these forums to persuade Ubi that there was a market for their product. From the posts I've seen recently, that simple fact seems to be lost amid the demands and threats. Any release has to be beneficial for both Ubi and their customer base.

Personally, I like the download option. Its not new, and many companies have found the business model successful for some time. Ubisoft has publically apologized and acknowledged that the current version of Boonty is broken. For all its faults, I still prefer it over Steam.

Lastly, there is the comfort level with new technology. That is an individual decision, and I respect members reasons not to participate. Its always best to make your own decisions and own mistakes. For those not yet decided, we have a strong community interest in educating and assisting those wanting to add to their computer skill set.

Taylortony
05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Rest assured it will not happen again,

I have heard that BOB was going to be released with a new form of download software.

UbiSoft had been hard working within the Industry and had initially came to an agreement with both StarForce and BontyBox to produce a superlative secure downloading programme.
This new download programme was initially due to be released alongside Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

The name that was initially touted by UbiSoft for this new downloader was apparently StarBox, BUT in an unprecedented advertising coup it was renamed StarBuck.. This was to have included a free printable voucher from the well known coffee outlet for a extra large Latte to keep you awake whilst trying to get the game and addition patches to install..

The latest word on the street is that this has now been abandoned, as UbiSoft worried about the publics perceived threats of Spyware on their PC's have decided to use a totally new concept in safe and none Spyware based download software system, this rumours have it is to be called Kazza.........

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Chuck_Older
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna chime in and point out that every patch has been a download-only patch but it has been free

The Pe-2 add-on is not a patch.

Taylortony
05-15-2006, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I'm gonna chime in and point out that every patch has been a download-only patch but it has been free

The Pe-2 add-on is not a patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely u meant to say

" The Pe-2 add-on is not a patch on a proper CD"

AKA_TAGERT
05-15-2006, 09:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
From the posts I've seen recently, that simple fact seems to be lost amid the demands and threats. Any release has to be beneficial for both Ubi and their customer base. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bingo!
And from those posts.. I would totally understand if nextime ubi decides NOT to make it aval to the US market.. In that they are dangged if they do and dangged if they dont.. No pleasing this bunch.. Even if they did make some money off of it.. I doubt if it was worth it in the end. But what did they expect from a group who gives ubi heck for free updates that add planes.. let alone one for ~20.

Freelancer-1
05-15-2006, 11:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
I would totally understand if nextime ubi decides NOT to make it aval to the US market.. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I understand it. And as UBI stated, it's already not aval in the U.S.

So... like now... U.S. players will get it anyway.

partic_10
05-16-2006, 12:27 AM
The thing about Boonty that gets me is what an utterly useless bit of security software it is. Yes, I know it is also a download manager but it is meant to add some copywrite protection, yes? Well I am playing 4.05 on my gaming pc, which is not the PC I downloaded it from and has no internet connection and I never had to enter the security key! All this from ten minutes reading the forums and the clever work of some of the community. I now have a folder called Pe2 on my portable USB hard drive the contents of which I can copy into 4.04m at any time and make it 4.05. There is certainly no copywrite protection provided by this annoying little app, so why did UBI inflict it on us?

edited for spelling

mllaneza
05-16-2006, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylortony:
The name that was initially touted by UbiSoft for this new downloader was apparently StarBox, BUT in an unprecedented advertising coup it was renamed StarBuck.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what you telling me is that I'm NOT getting a Katie Sackhoff action figure but rather a mediocre latte ? How very, very disappointing.

Heavy_Weather
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif